Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you had a flu shot yet?

@Kachina624 wrote:

The flu shot can cause you to have a much milder case, should you get it.  I got it in 2003, although I'd had the shot.  It was one of those years when the shot given didn't match the virus that evolved.  I got mild pneumonia and was hospitalized for breathing treatments.  By the time I was formally diagnosed, I was much better and back home.  Very mild case. 

Gee @Kachina624 if I had to be hospitalized for breathing treatments, I wouldn't consider that a mild case.  I always get a flu shot, and I understand that the protection is very iffy some years, but I'm just surprised that you considered that mild.  Hoping the flu shot is a good match this year for whatever version of the flu is out there!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think being hospitalized for breathing treatments could be considered mild. My idea of "mild" is probably diffferent.

I'll be getting a flu vaccine next month. The shots were mandatory when I worked at the hospital, so I might as well just continue with them. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

I plan on going to a CVS one day this week for my yearly flu shot.  I usually wait until the 3rd week of Sept., so this is my usual time.  DH already got his earlier this month. He goes as soon as its available.

Neither one of us has had a case of the flu in years and I hope this year is the same! 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Esteemed Contributor

I had a flu shot a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to get that done so that I'd be ready for my Pfizer booster, whenever that will be. I just learned that people can get both shots at the same time. That's OK. I think it's prudent at my age to take them separately.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie @Here is a hot tip. Alcohol is ineffective for killing Norovirus. I use a small plastic bag to cover metal rails when I walk down stairways and I never push elevator buttons with my fingers or touch the doors or door handles to buildings, especially doctors offices. I've done the same with the handle on my food cart when grocery shopping. I don't cruise, but I'd do the same there. I don't shake hands either. Before COVID, I washed my hands whenever I could. I also never share the serving utensils at a salad bar. Weak bleach and water solution does kill the virus on non porous surfaces. I don't remember if Lysol kills it. I'll have to look at the cab again. 

Honored Contributor

Had Maderna booster 9/10,  FLU vaccine on 9/24 - usually wait ‘till October 1st, close enough.

Full Moon 🌝 tonight!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

I sure wouldn't worry about a flu shot.  They are warning everyone that there is measles, malaria, and tuberculosis plus many more entering this country.  

Please be careful where you go and who you encounter.

Honored Contributor

Nope, you can just walk in, that's what we did last week at our local Rite Aid. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Yes as I always do. I wanted to have out out of the way until or incase I get a booster.