Honored Contributor

Re: Have you had a flu shot yet?

@Carmie Not too early for many of us. I get mine this same time every year with no problem.

Trusted Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I think DH and I will get our flu shots this week. We used to be able to walk into our local pharmacy to get them but now need an appointment. Is there a shortage of the vaccine this year? Wanted to get the Covid booster shot first but it sounds like the Moderna one won't be out for awhile, so will do the flu shot now. Have you had your flu shot yet? 

@Duckncover    Yes I got mine a week ago.  Last year there was a shortage of the senior dosage, so when it came available at CVS,  I got it.  Also I wanted to have some time between the flu shot and the COVID booster...whenever that may happen.  

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Last year and this year we got flu shot last week of August.  Hope to have a Modern a booster about first week in November when will be eligible (over 70).

Can't get mine till the 16th. I had my booster 9,2, 21, and you have to wait, I believe, it's 14 days after that. 

Honored Contributor

I will schedule a flu shot this afternoon.  I am not eligible for a COVID booster until December and do not want to wait that long for a flu shot.  Although I have not had flu for over 20 years, last time I did have it, I passed out twice and was just fortunate to fall without seriously hurting myself.

I figure all these illness things are pretty much alike.  We can go for seemingly forever without a single sign and the. WHAM.

Super Contributor

Had my annual physical last week (well, kindof annual, delayed 1 yr due to pandemic) and got my flu shot then. Also tetanus, as you should get one every 10 years. Will get the booster if Moderna falls in the accepted scenario. 

Honored Contributor

I have never had a flu shot.

Super Contributor

I just got mine this morning at my pharmacy. I turned 65 in April, so I got the high dose shot for the first time. My arm is somewhat sore but I am moving it around and don't anticipate any problems. I wanted to get it now so a couple of weeks will pass before getting the Pfizer booster when it becomes available to those 65 and over.

Honored Contributor

The flu shot can cause you to have a much milder case, should you get it.  I got it in 2003, although I'd had the shot.  It was one of those years when the shot given didn't match the virus that evolved.  I got mild pneumonia and was hospitalized for breathing treatments.  By the time I was formally diagnosed, I was much better and back home.  Very mild case. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  I got my first pneumonia shot in 2004 and I'm not sure what it was. I didn't get so much as a sniffle for 13 years, but in 2017 I got the 1st dose of Prevnar 13 and the following year I got the booster. I didn't have any ill effects from either vaccine other than a sore arm for a couple of days. 

Honored Contributor

Early to mid October.