Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you ever been told you need a followup chest xray with nipple markers?

Why would you even think twice if your doctor wanted you to follow-up with another x-ray?  Why would you think it is a scam?  Doctor's have better things to do with their time and radiologists than have people return for something that is not needed.  I would do it to give me piece of mind.  This makes no sense to me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:

My husband had his 2nd chest xray with nipple markers as suggested by the diagnostic imaging company which relayed that to his doctor.  The same thing was said to me hence the reason for our skepticism.   

My husband's xray came back normal.  No nodules.  No cancer  

I was later told by the office manager of the clinic we go to that the diagnostic imaging company uses certain thresholds in determining whether or not to tell a patient to take the xray over but this time with nipple markers.  Neither one of us wanted to be irradiated again and were justifiably suspicious due to both us being told the same exact thing.  

Nevertheless, this chapter shall be be put behind us.  

Respected Contributor

OP- do you and your husband smoke? Or have you recently quit?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

OP- do you and your husband smoke? Or have you recently quit?

No.  @bathina

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's odd that they would say the same thing to both you and your husband.  More like bizarre.  Who told you needed the second set of xrays?  If it was radiology, then you should both discuss this with your doctor.  If it was the doctor, then you should both discuss this with your doctor.  I hesitate to call it a money grab because xrays are cheap.  Insurers don't pay facilities very much for a chest xray, not enough to commit fraud over.  

@chrystaltree  The imaging place told us (we read it in the patient portal) and it was in the report that was sent to our PCP.  We had to go back to our PCP to be told and initially were alarmed because we thought we were going to die; that our death was imminent because we thought they found something...but then angry.  The fact that we both were told the same thing our PCP had no point of view...would not give us her opinion.  The imaging company is not affiliated with our PCP or the clinic she works for.   

@puttypiesmom

Why would you ever think both your deaths were imminent?  Like others,  I've never heard of nipple markers before, but a second x-ray request happens from time to time.   Same thing for mammograms.   

I'm curious how many years experience the radiologist has ....  if anything, this strikes me as someone being over-cautious.

Honored Contributor

Found out why you need a follow up.