Honored Contributor

Re: Have you dieted most of your life? Where are you at on your plan?

No I haven't dieted much, except for back in the early 90's when I had 35 pounds to lose and then I did Jenny Craig for a few months, lost all that and more and kept it off for several years. However, I am battling 20 pounds that I gained ( I swear, overnight ) from taking meds for cancer. And as much as I try , that 20, REALLY, REALLY  likes my caboose as residence. I have 2 more years of taking the meds so I will just try to stay at my current level . I'm 61 and it is hard to do what I did before all this cancer business , to keep the weight off. Now I eat to keep me going and try to exercise to keep me mobile and just except what my body is now and be grateful that is my biggest challenge.  Good luck to you all going thru weight loss--it's a bear!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I was a fat child, but by 15 I was tall and thin and have been that way for the past 50 years. I eat healthy and move.

However, I have been doing a lot of interesting reading this past year related to the bacteria we have in our guts being responsible for keeping the pounds off. Overweight people lack the good gut bacteria. I would recommend the best probiotics to anyone beginning a weight loss campaign. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I'm the fattest I've ever been at 7 pounds above the upper limit of what I want to weigh.  Since I'm 5'3" and have a small frame, that's a full size bigger.  I've always lost and gained about three pounds.  I can't imagine what I'd weigh by now if I hadn't lost them.  One thing that works for me is I don't buy new clothes if the pants I have get snug.  That way, I have an incentive to lose.  For me, exercise is the best way to lose weight.  I'm not good at eating small portions.  Different things work for different people.

Respected Contributor

This is an interesting article about the difficulties of keeping weight off.

http://time.com/4314053/biggest-loser-weight-loss/

Honored Contributor

No.  Never had to, although I did gain a few pounds during menopause and lost it about five years later.  I now weigh less than I weighed in high school.  If one is lucky enough to live as long as I have (78) it's hard to keep weight on.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This is my diet life.

Revolving_Door.gif (155×246)

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(title question) ?  no

hnj

John, I remember you posting that you didn't diet but lived a lifestyle that incorporated healthy food habits and that you don't eat meat. However, a lot of us would probably consider that a "diet." You are a success story!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

(title question) ?  no

hnj

John, I remember you posting that you didn't diet but lived a lifestyle that incorporated healthy food habits and that you don't eat meat. However, a lot of us would probably consider that a "diet." You are a success story!

@Trinity

i only quote the word "diet".  too many equate it to only losing weight and that is not accurate definition. i use "food program" be it loss, gain, maintain.  thank u for your comment and memory

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Though I have never been overweight, I have dieted my entire life.  My mother restricted what my sister and I ate from the time we were about 10.  I have suffered from anorexia and bulimia for 50+ years.  I have been in therapy, and under the guidance of a nutritionist, more times than I can count.  I will do well for awhile, then slip back into my old habits. Plain and simple, I like how I look when I'm at a low weight.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I like how I look when I'm at a low weight.

@lulu2

i like how i feel. how i look 2 others? could not care less. had all the "fat comments", and "r you sick?" in my lifetime.  if i feel good,  to me i look as good as i possibly can

hnj

hckynut(john)