Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have anyone ever had a hole in their retina?

@marky  Your tear must have happened suddenly? I didn't know eyes had blood in them. Or was it the blood vessels around your eye? Sounds serious. Glad you are doing so much better. Cheers to a great 2020!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

About 2 months ago I started seeing white flashes in the right corner of my right eye.Also,after applying eyelid primer,my eye got blurry for a few minutes.

I am getting an appointment,but I wanted to hear about other posters'experiences.Until I realized the problems were not going away,I was rubbing my eyes too hard with the wipes and cotton pads to remove make up.

I never heard about retina detachment.

I am very worried about having surgery.I got yesterday a 360 pills container of Andrew Lessman eye vitamins.I read reviews and it helped many posters getting rid of the eye floaters.

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@marky  Your tear must have happened suddenly? I didn't know eyes had blood in them. Or was it the blood vessels around your eye? Sounds serious. Glad you are doing so much better. Cheers to a great 2020!!

Yes, I had a sudden tear in August and got the cryosurgery.  About the time that the blood would clear, a blood vessel near the tear would rupture, causing even more blood than the initial tear. This kept happening and the doctor was watching, then suddenly, the retina detached and I had to get the surgery. I only had to lie face down for around 19 hours but that was bad enough.  It was not enjoyable but well worth it to save my vision !!!  Glad you are better and recovery well.  My vision is still blurry. I return to the doctor next Monday.

Valued Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

About 2 months ago I started seeing white flashes in the right corner of my right eye.Also,after applying eyelid primer,my eye got blurry for a few minutes.

I am getting an appointment,but I wanted to hear about other posters'experiences.Until I realized the problems were not going away,I was rubbing my eyes too hard with the wipes and cotton pads to remove make up.

I never heard about retina detachment.

I am very worried about having surgery.I got yesterday a 360 pills container of Andrew Lessman eye vitamins.I read reviews and it helped many posters getting rid of the eye floaters.

@Bibione one of the first things they ask me at every appointment is if I've seen any flashes of light.  I haven't  and they always say "good" so you definitely need to have an examination.   I have been taking ocular vitamins for ten years and had just passed an eye examination last June with flying colors.  Apparently, the tears and detachments are quite common.  Please follow through on your exam.

Respected Contributor

I think I already posted in this forum about my macular hole then detached retina in same eye eight months later, well ... ten months after the first detached surgery it detached again. Diagnosed in my routine follow up checkup in December, followed by another surgery five days later from which I am still recovering. Ladies and gentlemen, please get your eyes checked on a regular basis. A detached retina that is let go too long can lead to loss of eyesight. These eye checks are even more important as we age.
Esteemed Contributor

Hey! @BirkiLady -- Good morning and Welcome Back!   So nice to hear from you and that you're doing so well.   You're very lucky your actual surgery went well (mine didn't) and your recovery was easy. 

I didn't rent a contraption, but found ways to keep my face down and keep from getting bored by putting the small kitchen TV on the floor, playing games on my tablet, and sleeping with two rolled pillows on the sides of my face.  Still, my neck got sore.  Did yours?  

Yes, when you're looking straight ahead, the bubble does lower over time.  I think it depends on where the bubble is inside your eye -- when I looked down (like to write a check or cook), my bubble was right in my line of sight, smack in the middle of my vision.  I suppose it's a gravity thing.  Anyway, looking down, the bubble got smaller over time till it was just a tiny speck.  Looking straight ahead, my bubble lowered until it was bouncing around at the bottom of my vision.

I'm surprised you were able to drive.  Because of the bubble, I was bumping into walls and furniture inside my own house - like a silver ball in a pinball machine.  I chose not to drive my car till the bubble was almost gone.  

I don't see my surgeon again till early March.  I see my regular opthalmologist next week.   

Thanks for the update!  Glad it went well and you're on the mend.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy-  Hi.  I spoke to a woman at a meeting who had the same surgery that I did and she had to have it repeated twice.  Her retina detached a second and third time!    She had her 3rd surgery about a year ago and so far, so good.   I have an eye examination twice a year because of diabetes -- I had my routine exam 1 month before I suddenly lost my vision in my left eye and had to have the retina surgery.   I agree, we've got to take care of our eyes!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

What a difference this is going to make in your life

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo  Aren't we fortunate to have come through this so well? Several people in the waiting room (the following morning) also were on their second surgeries. However, it seemed to be years later and after having cataract surgery (which I've already had). I breathed a sigh of relief. 

No, my neck wasn't stiff or sore at all. That contraption kept my neck aligned very well. But sleeping on my stomach drove my back crazy. That was so difficult for me. Last night I slept 13 hours on my side!! Pure Heaven even if I still am keeping my face tilted down. This is doable after a week on that contraption. Smiley Wink 

I'm also diabetic and have Lupus. Meds for Lupus are dicey for vision. Like you, I also see my Opthalmologist regularly. In fact, I picked out new frames and purchased them before the surgery! It will be a while before he gives me a new RX since I still have another appt. with the surgeon in February (and probably at least one more after that).

The surgeon felt I'd be driving with better vision than before the surgery, so I might as well go ahead and return to driving. I was surprised, but happy. Not going anywhere for the next several days; we have snow falling and I'm not about to drive in that or on slick pavement! Have everything I need here and no legit reason to be out and about. If I need anything, my son can pick it up for me! Safety for others, as well as me, is always a priority.

I'm not bumping into anything, but have noticed my perception is off a bit when going up and down the stairs. If I don't look, I'm fine since I know those stairs so well. Other than that, I've been fine. My son and I stopped at the grocery stone on the way home (Wednesday) and shopping for produce and fruits was easy. (Another surprise.)

All-in-all, I've had an amazing experience with this surgery and would encourage anyone to do it! Modern medicine is incredible. Best of all: NO  PAIN . . . but LOTS OF GAIN!! Change is good. LOL 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bibione @Kindaglitzy   Floaters were the beginning symptoms of my problems. My Opthamologist watched them for several years. It wasn't until late this fall that he found problems with my retina. I had long ago stopped using eye make-up for the very reasons you mentioned.

Plus, I have had dry eyes for decades and have used eye drops according to my Opthamologist's recommendations. Even stopped wearing contacts and have worn glasses only for a very long time for protect my vision.

When I asked what causes retina problems, he said, "Usually it's part of the aging process." (I'm 71.) There were middle-aged people in the post-op waiting room, as well, who had retina problems following their cataract surgery. I've had cataract surgery without incident (fortunately), so I'm going with the aging process in my case! 

Best wishes on healthy vision. I found this to be the easiest surgery I've ever had. No pain and easy recovery (I live alone). Make sure the surgeon has an excellent reputation and does this procedure frequently! Prepare your home, meals and rent the face contraption. It's worth the effort to keep your head down 24/7 that first week!!