Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have anyone ever had a hole in their retina?

@tototwo  This is fascinating information. I'm so naive that it didn't occur to me that you would be able to see the bubble! Creepy knowing that's inside your eye, but it's also a good way to tell if it is, indeed, getting smaller. Oh, the things we go through as we age. Smiley Surprised

I also thought about the eye patch and knew the elastic kind probably wouldn't be comfortable. Found a box of adhesive eye patches at Walgreen's which I plan to use. I've tried a couple; they are easy to place below the eyebrow and comfortable to wear (even under glasses). If I remember correctly, they were about $7.50 for a box of 10 or 12 patches. I plan to wear them to read and when going out (especially if in bright light) until that eye is healed. (Although I expected one box to be enough!!)

My surgery is January 9th. Do you honestly think I'll be able to do this living alone? That's the plan since I cannot ask my son or DIL to take off work to help me.

Most friends (and neighbors) are dealing with their own health problems (or their spouse is ill) and I haven't shared this with them yet since I don't want anyone ringing the doorbell with food if I can't answer it! What a mess during the worst part of winter for people to want to offer to help, as well. UGH!

Thanks, again, for the additional information. You are a wealth of help!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady-- Good morning.

That's something I wanted to mention -- you've said you live alone and I'm sure that you'll be perfectly fine after the first night.  That first night after having the surgery I was in a lot of pain.  The 'numbing' from the surgery wears off after a couple hours.  Fortunately, the serious pain only lasted about 18-24 hours.  Tylenol Extra Strength really helped and I was able to sleep off and on.   Maybe your son or a close friend could spend that first night in your home with you?   The first night I camped out in my living room and found a comfortable face-down position for sleeping on my sofa.  I didn't need any help, but it was comforting to know my husband was in the next room just in case.  

Thanks for the info on the sticky eye patches.  If I ever get to a Walgreen's, I'll buy them.  The eye patch I have is more of a nuisance than a help!

Oh, your surgeon will probably send you home with a plastic eye protector that you will need to wear most of the time for the first week.  

I'm happy to help -- my surgery was done within a day of finding the hole and I wasn't able to do any research or talk to anybody.  It all happened so fast!   At least you have time to prepare.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo  After that lady ran a stop sign and totaled both vehicles last Dec. and fractured my back in three places and another fracture in my knee, I'm pretty sure pain is something I'm able to handle living alone. My son and his family were on vacation so after seven hours in the ER, I called a friend who took me home. By then, I just wanted to stop for the RX, food and sleep! And that's exactly what happened. Only took two of the pain killers; don't like that stuff. Getting up to use the bathroom was the worst, but I lived through it. Was in a full back brace for months. My knee is stilll black & blue!!

If you managed without the contraption to sleep on, I'm going to be fine without anyone around!! LOL

The surgeon only does surgery on Wednesday's . . . and he has a huge practice in this area of NE, IA, MO and KS. So, January 9th was the next earliest date available. He and his partner are busy! No way do they take a patient in the next day with that large a practice. We all wait weeks for our surgery. The following day I'll see him for a post-op. And a week later. Don't know about other post-op visits yet. Imagine they will be scheduled after the first week out. 

Perhaps your husband could stop at Walgreen's for the box of eye patches to save you having to go out for them? They have plenty of sales people who are happy to help him. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hey!  @BirkiLady ~ I bought a box of those adhesive eye patches when we were out and about the other day.  Not perfect, but slightly better than the hard patch.  Thanks for telling me about them!

You'll be fine by yourself - like I said, I didn't need anybody, but nice to know someone was handy.   I didn't know about your car accident - after getting thru all of that, you know how to deal with a difficult healing process.  

I'll tell ya, I didn't know specialized retina doctors even existed before this.  Mine is in a small group who have offices in 3 states, but only do surgery in N. Kansas City one or two days a week.   They must spend more time on the road than in an office!   I had followup appointments the next day, then a week later, then a month later.... now I don't have to go back until mid-March.  

I read a headline that Savannah on The Today Show will have, or already had, eye surgery for a detached retina. I'd never heard of Vitrectomy before, and now someone sort of famous is having it.    Smiley Wink

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady 

Follow-up to my torn retina cryosurgery at end of August.

After the cryosurgery and subsequent bleeding, clearing up, bleeding, my retina detached on December 21.  I had to have emergency surgery on the 23rd.  I had to lie face down for about 19 hours due to the gas bubble and it was very difficult but I just kept thinking that doing so was to preserve my vision.  It is imperative that you lie face down during this time so that the eye heals properly and you don't "undo" the surgery.  The doctor bragged on me the day after surgery because he could tell that I had followed his instructions when he looked inside my eye.

I had burning and tearing after the doctor removed the patch, so much so that I couldn't even open my good eye.  He told me to put the patch back on and to keep both eyes closed to limit the movement of each eye.  I could feel the sutures in my eye with each movement which caused the tearing.  I kept both eyes mostly closed for 24 hours.  The pain was greatly diminished after that.

I was off work for a week but due to the holidays I extended my time off to two weeks.  The gas bubble kept diminishing until it disappeard about two weeks after surgery.  I had to lie on my left side the entire time that the bubble was present.  My vision is still blurred but better than before when I had all of the blood floating around in there.

I go back soon for a re-check and I have several questions for the doctor.  He told me that once you have eye surgery, your cataracts will grow quickly.  So, I have that to look forward to now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @marky -- BirkiLady should have had her surgery last week.  I hope she checks in with us eventually.  Glad that you're recovering well.  I had not heard of cryosurgery... but then, before I had it done, I'd never heard of vitrectomy either.  There must be several types of retina repair surgeries.   My surgeon told me it would be 6-8 weeks before my bubble disappeared.   He was right.  My surgery was Oct 31 and my bubble disappeared on Dec 31.

I had cataract surgery 5 years ago.  It was a piece of cake compared to the retina surgery!  

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@marky @tototwo   How nice to sign on and see your posts!  Even better to know both of you are doing so well. Smiley Wink 

Yes, my retina surgery was last Thursday at 6:30 AM. and I was home by 9:00. Completely thrilled with medical breakthroughs and ease of surgical skills. No pain during or after. I was awake throughout the entire procedure (allergic to painkillers in OR's).

Actually asked the surgeon if he could stop. He asked why? I said, "I need to sneeze and don't what you to zig-zag on my eye!" He stopped; a surgical nurse gave me a Kleenex; I sneezed; everyone laughed; surgery proceeded!

Keeping my head down was difficult, but doable. Returned the following morning for a post-op check-up and, again yesterday. Everything is going as expected so I'm cleared to raise my head!, take my walks, drive, etc., etc., etc. Can't lift anything, but who cares?

I stayed on the rented contraption most of the time, listening to audio CD's and reading books to pass the time. It's cold in Nebraska so didn't miss anything! One of my BFF's also had wrist surgery two days before, so we kept each other company via phone calls. It was NOT a "misery loves company" type thing; we had fun with our conversations and both of us flew through our surgeries and recoveries without incident.

My right eye is no longer droopy! Now I know what old age will look like on me. (Not a very attractive thought. LOL) It was from all the water I drank prior to surgery (to enlarge my blood vessels for IV's) and lieing with my face down. 

Cannot express how happy I am with the results (so far). It was a piece of cake. I return for another check-up in one month and hope to see a lot better! Right now, my vision is like a foggy shower glass door. And, I do see the bubble at the very top of my vision. My surgeon says "the bubble is supposed lower as it is absorbed by my body."  This is fascinating to me!

Down to just the pink eye drops. Amazing. Drove to the Library this morning (it's close), but I'll remain home-bound over the weekend.

Thanks for your help and encouragement! Recovery by myself was fine. 

Honored Contributor

Wonderful news. I am so pleased for you

Valued Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Hi @marky -- BirkiLady should have had her surgery last week.  I hope she checks in with us eventually.  Glad that you're recovering well.  I had not heard of cryosurgery... but then, before I had it done, I'd never heard of vitrectomy either.  There must be several types of retina repair surgeries.   My surgeon told me it would be 6-8 weeks before my bubble disappeared.   He was right.  My surgery was Oct 31 and my bubble disappeared on Dec 31.

I had cataract surgery 5 years ago.  It was a piece of cake compared to the retina surgery!  

The cryosurgery is where they freeze the tear.  He couldn't use laser because there was so much blood in my eye that he couldn't see the tear well enough.  Apparently, that is when the "freezing" is used. 

Of course, I had to meet my deductible and my out of pocket in the last two weeks of the year.  So now, if I need anything to be done in 2020, I will have to meet those requirement again.  I am very thankful my vision has been spared but it would be nice if the surgeries could all be done in the same insurance coverage year.  I will have faith that the cataracts won't grow and all will be well. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @cherry! My dear son was a nervous wreck. He just about drove me crazy in the days leading up to surgery. Kept suggesting I hire a Home Health Care nurse or ad or something. I kept reminding him last January I was flat on my back in pain. Nothing could be that bad ever again! (Now, he realizes I do know my body and my limitations, as well as what I'm capable of doing on my own!

The recovery was easy because of a great surgeon, that contraption to sleep on which kept my head down, prior meal preparation, audio CD's, books, and a son who called several times daily to see if I needed anything (I did not).

It is nice to walk around and see the world again. Looking at feet and floors was becoming boring! Also nice to be down from 12 drops per day to only four. Feeling mighty fine.