Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Tried Expanding Dental Floss? Burst? Cocofloss?

@sundrops wrote:

I'm a dental hygienist and about 4 years ago I received a sample of Cocofloss at a continuing education seminar. Its all I have used since then. The "flavors" of Cocofloss are not really flavors, but scents. WaterPiks and Waterpik waterflossrs are great tools also.  As long as we clean in between our teeth with something, those of us in the dental field don't care what our patients use.

The strawberry Cocofloss smells very pleasant. It's nice that it is not a typically dental scent. And I agree. I don't taste anything. I think I saw a limited edition chocolate Cocofloss that I covet. It looks like it only comes in a three pack with two other "flavors."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I use a floss tape.  I floss several times a day.  I think I am addicted to it. Regular floss usually shreds...my back teeth are tight.

I have never heard of the new flosses.  A few years ago, Crest came out with chocolate flavored toothpaste.  I loved it, but can't find it anymore.

If it smells or tastes like chocolate...I'm all in.  I will see if I can find next time I am out.  I hope it doesn't shred.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie    Amazon has Tanner's  chocolate toothpaste for children. 

Also Dr. Sheffield's natural toothpaste in chocolate flavor.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I dropped flossing when I had been using a Water Pik for a couple of years.  It seems like duplicate work so I stopped flossing and the Water Pik does a much better job.  I get a gold star at every dental visit; they even ask exactly what am I doing, ha.

Well you rock!

I decided to go the water flosser route several years ago. I thought I was so smart because I determined that the kind that attaches directly to the faucet would be simpler than filling a tank all the time.

So I got one and proceeded to commandeer our master bathroom sink faucet by rigging up my amazing flossing system to it. I had to make a little sign with illustrative labeled arrows on it reminding us to flip the lever before running the water. Far too many messes still ensued when anyone had the gall to try to wash their hands in the middle of the night. Plus it looked tacky. It didn't last long.

So if I ever try a water pik again, I know one method that does not work for me, and I can confirm that a conventional one with a reservoir, like I assume you have @Bhvbum, is the simpler way to go.

I got fancy one time and bought the one that has the electric toothbrush/water pik combo, and of course the electric toothbrush finally stopped working but the water pik worked fine. I bought a separate sonicare and I store my toothpaste in the slot where the water pik electric toothbrush used to recharge.

But it's nice to have the two together as a space saver.  I will probably end up replacing this unit with the one that has the toothbrush and the water pic together again. It takes about 3 seconds to fill the tank.

In my research I read the handheld units with the reservoir just don't work with the same power that the one with the tank does. But they may be good for travel. One piece of advice my dentist gave me was throw in a cap full of mouthwash with the water. Just doing that one thing totally solved my sensitive gums. 

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting, I haven't seen this yet.  I typically stick to my J&J dental floss.  Seems like this product has not yet been accepted by the American Dental Association??   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting! Will watch for these.

I pull the floss out from between  any of my teeth that are very close together, and dont use like I do floss on the other teeth! Something my dentist told me to do.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Interesting! Will watch for these.

I pull the floss out from between  any of my teeth that are very close together, and dont use like I do floss on the other teeth! Something my dentist told me to do.

It's waxed, so that helps. I do sort of ease it out carefully from between my tighter teeth. And I rinse afterwards. I'm no hygenist so take my ideas with a grain of salt, but maybe @JeanLouiseFinch's Super Floss threaders could work on tighter teeth? 

@sundrops Is there a floss you recommend for very close together teeth?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Porcelain,  floss is trial and error. What works for some, will not work for others. You will need to try several and find one that can get in and out of your teeth without breaking or shredding. Right now Cocofloss is sold on their website, not in retail stores. Sephora used to sell it, but it's not on their website any longer. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen Cocofloss advertised but haven't tried it yet.  Maybe I will with the positive comments here.  I've been using Dr. Gingers floss, but it seems like it has changed over time, not for the better.  I'll have to order some Cocofloss when I start to run low on my Dr. Gingers.

I like to use both my floss and Waterpik.  My dentist says the Waterpik flosser shouldn't replace my good old fashioned floss, so I have a 3-step program...Sonicare, floss, then Waterpik (I add a capful of my Crest Pro Health mouthwash). My mouth always feels fresh & clean.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@sundrops wrote:

I'm a dental hygienist and about 4 years ago I received a sample of Cocofloss at a continuing education seminar. Its all I have used since then. The "flavors" of Cocofloss are not really flavors, but scents. WaterPiks and Waterpik waterflossrs are great tools also.  As long as we clean in between our teeth with something, those of us in the dental field don't care what our patients use.

The strawberry Cocofloss smells very pleasant. It's nice that it is not a typically dental scent. And I agree. I don't taste anything. I think I saw a limited edition chocolate Cocofloss that I covet. It looks like it only comes in a three pack with two other "flavors."

My dentist's office sells Cocofloss and I tried one there a couple of years ago and have been using it since.  I usually pick up a new one every 6 months when I go in for a cleaning.  Yes, it's expensive, but I find I use it more than J&J so that is what matters to me.  I just had a cleaning and I was told my teeth and gums were great, so I guess it's worth it (that and the sonicare toothbrush).  

I've tried the Vanilla (my favorite so far), Chocolate and Watermelon.  I find they last much longer than they say (my hygienist was the one who told me I didn't need to use that much).