Honored Contributor

Have You Tried Expanding Dental Floss? Burst? Cocofloss?

Has anyone else here tried the newer fancy forms of dental floss? I just got a reel of black mint eucalyptus Burst floss and a reel of aqua colored strawberry Cocofloss instead of my usual Glide.

And I love it! It's relatively ridiculously expensive compared to Glide, but I don't mind. This kind of floss expands and has lots of filament fibers to catch the plaque, as well as carrying xylitol and other ingredients to treat between the teeth. And it doesn't bite into my fingers as much while flossing.

What do you think? Do you use this type of expanding woven dental floss? Would you? These are pictures of the flosses I bought. I love how cute and sleek they are.

And of course replacing the reels in the plastic cases reduces waste. A really nice bonus.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Tried Expanding Dental Floss? Burst? Cocofloss?

I don't use dental floss because its difficult since my teeth are very close together.  I do use a Butler Tool (its got a flexible rubber post noted thing on the end); my Hygienist recommended it ( usually order several at a time from Amazon).

Honored Contributor

Huh! So this is what you're referring to:

I could use one of those as well. Popcorn hulls!

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I love woven floss.  I have used it for several years.  I use the Reach floss by Johnson and Johnson but I think it has been discontinued as I can no longer find it.

I bought a huge stash of it when it became hard to find but I am glad you mentioned these other brands.  I will check them out when I use up my stash.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I use Proxabrushes. For me they work much better than flossing.

Respected Contributor

I dropped flossing when I had been using a Water Pik for a couple of years.  It seems like duplicate work so I stopped flossing and the Water Pik does a much better job.  I get a gold star at every dental visit; they even ask exactly what am I doing, ha.

Honored Contributor

I use Superfloss (have it on subscription with Amazon).  In addition to the long unwaxed tail, it has a thicker woven section that does a better job around my crowns and a threader end that gets under my bridge. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

I dropped flossing when I had been using a Water Pik for a couple of years.  It seems like duplicate work so I stopped flossing and the Water Pik does a much better job.  I get a gold star at every dental visit; they even ask exactly what am I doing, ha.

Well you rock!

I decided to go the water flosser route several years ago. I thought I was so smart because I determined that the kind that attaches directly to the faucet would be simpler than filling a tank all the time.

So I got one and proceeded to commandeer our master bathroom sink faucet by rigging up my amazing flossing system to it. I had to make a little sign with illustrative labeled arrows on it reminding us to flip the lever before running the water. Far too many messes still ensued when anyone had the gall to try to wash their hands in the middle of the night. Plus it looked tacky. It didn't last long.

So if I ever try a water pik again, I know one method that does not work for me, and I can confirm that a conventional one with a reservoir, like I assume you have @Bhvbum, is the simpler way to go.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I use Superfloss (have it on subscription with Amazon).  In addition to the long unwaxed tail, it has a thicker woven section that does a better job around my crowns and a threader end that gets under my bridge. 

Ooh. Precise precut strands even. I might need that as well. Collecting fancy flosses may be my new bad habit. But if I actually use one of them each night, it kind of cancels out the excess, right?
Super Contributor

I'm a dental hygienist and about 4 years ago I received a sample of Cocofloss at a continuing education seminar. Its all I have used since then. The "flavors" of Cocofloss are not really flavors, but scents. WaterPiks and Waterpik waterflossrs are great tools also.  As long as we clean in between our teeth with something, those of us in the dental field don't care what our patients use.