Honored Contributor

Have You Taken Turmeric and/or Ginger Capsules?

Have you tried turmeric or ginger?  Has it helped anything?  Do you know of any downsides?

I worry about how colored that stuff is!  LOL!! Maybe it's just me, so I am asking here because I'll bet some of you have tried it and can tell me what you thought!

Thanks for any input--good or bad or "meh."

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Taken Turmeric and/or Ginger Capsules?

Been taking tumeric for years, the very potent one, never notice any differences in how I feel. 

Honored Contributor

I tried taking turmeric , but it gave me diarrhea, gross but that's what happened. ☹️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I have tried several different brands of turmeric/curcumin including with black pepper.  Black pepper is supposed to make it  more absorbable.   None of them helped my joints.  If you look on Amazon you can read many different reviews of many different brands. Some are probably fake but some are not.

Honored Contributor

Turmeric works for me but not just any turmeric. I look for one with 100% curcumin extract (standardized to 95% purity) + black pepper added to it for absorption in the gut. Be sure to read the label carefully. If you see 'blends', 'blended with' or 'proprietary' that's a good indication the supp contains a mixture of turmeric spice root powder (cheap stuff) and extract (expensive stuff) which would be reflected in the lower price. Pure extract is what you want b/c that contains the active component (curcumin or curcuminoid) which is what gives us relief from pain/inflammation. Recommended amount is approx 1500 mg daily, usually divided into 2 or 3 doses taken with food.

Some people say that turmeric never worked for them. That might be b/c they weren't taking the extract but rather the root powder. Another reason why some say it doesn't work could be b/c their dose was too low. Dosage is important.

Currently I am taking this one from amazon. The price is outstanding for what you are getting here.

Pure By Nature Turmeric Curcuminoids with Black Pepper Extract 100% Organic

81v0V7dksvL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Pure By Nature Turmeric Curcuminoids with Black Pepper Extract 100% Organic

Honored Contributor

Ginger aids in digestion, my DH drinks ginger tea. He also indulges in choc covered ginger he buys at Trader Joes, he eats that after dinner. 

Honored Contributor

I take the same one as Sillie, and see no changes. 

Respected Contributor

Took it about a month and saw no change.

Respected Contributor

Yes but saw no change.  Pretty much the case with all the "wonder" supplements!  The only one that does seem to help is Hairskinnails but mostly the nails.  

Save your money!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the one we're currently taking.  The reason we take it is for its anti inflammatory benefits and brain health.  It's a must to take it in the right amounts too.  A little sprinkle from your spice cabinet is essentially nothing. 

4F784EC1-C1D3-4245-BB99-88CFE2B6ABDA.jpeg