Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Heard The News About Fiber?

On 2/18/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/18/2015 chrystaltree said:

Yeah, I did hear that.....about....20 years ago. It's not exactly breaking news.....lol

OMG, it's the weight loss study that's breaking news.

Does anyone actually read an opening post?

Yep, we did. For myself, I did WW a zillion yrs ago....and you calculated points by calories as well as fiber. Weight Watchers had this fiber concept for weight loss down looooong time ago.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Shelbelle said:

I use Benefiber daily, 2 teaspoons in a glass of water every morning.

Another good idea Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 CaliKat said:
On 2/17/2015 TriciatheRealtor said:

Gosh people can be so mean. Why bother to comment if it is just to be snarky? NoelSeven was just sharing information that HAS been all over the news today. I too saw it on ABC World News Tonight, and took note of it. The "meat" of this new study was claiming that when a lot of fiber was added to diet people loose weight, more than people who don't.

So, please chill out. (My daughter's school district has this campaign right now called #benice. Iwould say we could use some of that here.)

TriciatheRealtor........Well said, on both counts! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

NoelSeven...........I am aware that fiber is good for me, but I don't know all there is to know, so I appreciate hearing this information. Thank you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Also, thank you for your Kale cooking method. I'm not a big fan of raw Kale, but perhaps cooked this way I might enjoy it.

Tissyanne............Thank you for the information about Full Plate Living Home.Smile

You're welcome, CaliKat Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 adelle38 said:

I notice an overall improvement in my blood sugar, cholesterol and digestion when I eat more fiber. I would be interested to see a study done on different kinds of fiber, especially the new "high fiber" foods such as fiber bars and powders. I find that kind of fiber only upsets my stomach. I do eat oatmeal with berries every day. Totally off topic, on the PBS Special "The Italian Americans" , it mentioned that in the early 20th century social workers tried to get Italian immigrants to eat oatmeal and they were insulted because they considered oats to be "pig food".

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Now there's an interesting fact! Thanks, adelle Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 brii said:

The best way to eat is by combining fiber rich foods with protein and also incorporating low-glycemic carbohydrates into your meal plans. You'll feel fuller and will maintain blood sugar levels throughout the day. You'll increase your metabolism and won't suffer from digestive issues.

This isn't new information...

Did you read the opening post and article?

The study is the new information.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Yahooey said:

I know that I should eat fiber but I'm not getting enough. I just googled the foods I eat and I'm not there yet. Thank you Noel for getting me thinking about it.

I'm eating a raw kale drink every morning and not enough fiber in that. I put in 5 cups which doesn't make my smoothie sip worthy, more like chug it down fast.

Just because we know something, it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

You're doing it the correct way, slowly build up. It's easier on the tummy that way Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 sidsmom said:
On 2/18/2015 chrystaltree said:

Yeah, I did hear that.....about....20 years ago. It's not exactly breaking news.....lol

OMG, it's the weight loss study that's breaking news.

Does anyone actually read an opening post?

Yep, we did. For myself, I did WW a zillion yrs ago....and you calculated points by calories as well as fiber. Weight Watchers had this fiber concept for weight loss down looooong time ago.

You're missing the point: The study is new. But no, WW did not calculate fiber "a zillion years ago." I used WW to lose baby weight gain and fiber was not a factor.

Honored Contributor

sid -

Please look into the information on meds I mentioned to you. You're playing with fire.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Noel for starting this thread. I have a renewed interest in trading a fiber rich food in place of no fiber food. This morning I had an omelet made with one egg, and egg whites. Instead of two slices of 45 calorie whole wheat toast, I had one, and added one cup strawberries. It may be old news for many of you, but bringing this back to the forefront is important for me. Everyone, enjoy your day, and the best of health to all.
Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2015 sparklestar said:
On 2/18/2015 hckynut said: Fiber rich foods have been my primary source of fuel for my body for close to 40 years now. Regardless what some say about fiber intake, I know what sources are best for the body I inhabit. XXXXXXXXX-------Noel, thank you for this thread and for those that say "it ain't news"? So what, it is an informative thread for many that visit this forum.

Great point! I am adding a thank you also to Noel. Fiber is a huge part of my diet also but this just reinforces how important. So when I again tell my family how important it is, I'll make it even more of a point. They don't listen ... but I keep trying.

Hi sparklestar -

If you like an afternoon snack, Fiber One makes fiber loaded brownies, cookies and protein bars. I like the brownie in the afternoon, it works for me. 2 WW p.

I see Fiber One has also put out a pancake mix, and of course, they also have high fiber cereal.

I have used their high-fiber cereal for several years, since All Bran stopped making their sugar-free one. I prefer natural foods like fruits and veggies, but thanks for the ideas. I still think your post was great help to those interested and willing to read.