Super Contributor

Re: Have You Heard The News About Fiber?

I am so glad to see that they are bringing this to the

attention of the public once again... Somewhere

at the back of the mind most people know this...

:

Our parents never gave us white bread to eat when we

were growing up and in turn white bread was forbidden

in our home .. Our children do not like white bread.. They

now give only whole wheat & whole grain breads to their

children... Quinoa & legumes are part of the family diet

together with broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, sprouts

and in general fruits.. The 3 years and 6 years grand children

love these foods... And NO ..Their parents DO NOT have

to hide them in foods so that they will eat it... Kale they

love kale....

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 TriciatheRealtor said:

Gosh people can be so mean. Why bother to comment if it is just to be snarky? NoelSeven was just sharing information that HAS been all over the news today. I too saw it on ABC World News Tonight, and took note of it. The "meat" of this new study was claiming that when a lot of fiber was added to diet people loose weight, more than people who don't.

So, please chill out. (My daughter's school district has this campaign right now called #benice. Iwould say we could use some of that here.)

Maybe they're not eating enough fiber{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 september said:

Noel...I finally gave in, and started eating kale just a short while ago! I always thought that since I ate so much spinach...I could just use that, instead. But now....I'm re-thinking kale.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It started with kale chips. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I haven't tried kale chips, september, I'll look for them at Trader Joe's.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 WRX said: OP, thanks for posting! I had not heard the news today about fiber and weight loss--I'll go check it out.
You're welcome Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Please bear in mind that all these new studies are based upon erroneous "one size fits all" presumptions. Before engaging in a dramatic diet change, always consult your doctor. I was told for years I should add fiber/eat more bran. Guess what? I shouldn't. Insoluble fiber has too powerful an effect on my GI tract, often uncontrollable. I have to avoid high-fiber anything. People lose weight on high-fiber diets because they are pooping more and shedding water. It's like de-clogging a drain.
Honored Contributor

Double post.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 rac71 said: Please bear in mind that all these new studies are based upon erroneous "one size fits all" presumptions. Before engaging in a dramatic diet change, always consult your doctor. I was told for years I should add fiber/eat more bran. Guess what? I shouldn't. Insoluble fiber has too powerful an effect on my GI tract, often uncontrollable. I have to avoid high-fiber anything. People lose weight on high-fiber diets because they are pooping more and shedding water. It's like de-clogging a drain.
I gave that warning in the opening post. But no, that's not the reason people lose weight when they eat a high fiber diet. They lose weight because high fiber is filling, so they eat less quantity.
Honored Contributor

I find it so frustrating when people don't bother reading an opening post or a given reference to a study, and then make incorrect assumptions. Goodness, I posted a WARNING in bold, and it was still overlooked.
Honored Contributor

High fiber foods are generally low in calories. I ate a high fiber dinner this evening, and am amazed at how full I feel. It is midnight here. The Full Plate Living is about increasing fiber, and losing weight.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 NoelSeven said: I find it so frustrating when people don't bother reading an opening post or a given reference to a study, and then make incorrect assumptions. Goodness, I posted a WARNING in bold, and it was still overlooked.
It is so true that many people just skim over, without really reading what has been posted. I have noticed it in many threads.