Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Heard The News About Fiber?

Thanks to everyone for personal suggestions Smiley Happy
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Desertdi said:

They taught that in high school.........50 years ago.

They taught my grandmother 50 years before that, and she taught me as a child. What we're doing here is sharing information.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 sidsmom said:
On 2/17/2015 TriciatheRealtor said:

Gosh people can be so mean. Why bother to comment if it is just to be snarky? NoelSeven was just sharing information that HAS been all over the news today. I too saw it on ABC World News Tonight, and took note of it. The "meat" of this new study was claiming that when a lot of fiber was added to diet people loose weight, more than people who don't.

So, please chill out. (My daughter's school district has this campaign right now called #benice. Iwould say we could use some of that here.)

Speaking for myself, my comments weren't meant to be 'snarky'....it's just 100% shock and really, disappointment, that something like this is 'news'. We learned Nutrition back in elementary school....as adults, we should know better. When did the general public get sooooo off track?

Sid, that does not mean no one knew about the benefit of fiber before. It means the new study was reported today. Relax, read the study.
Honored Contributor

september...if you eat oatmeal in the morning, throw on 2 HUGE handfuls of greens on top....they melt into the oatmeal. Nice way to get greens first thing! And fiber rich.

I do eat oatmeal...not sure how I'd feel throwing kale on top! I'd rather top it with fresh or dried fruit.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I eat the green veggies for lunch and dinner.

Valued Contributor

So much happens so quickly in the world of nutrition (and medical) news that we can all think we "know" about Fiber, but I believe the OP was pointing out very recent research pointing to the how truly important it is to one's diet. Like the very recent research on cholesterol that just came out to media outlets last week--about cholesterol not being as much of a contributing factor in heart disease as once thought--perhaps we've heard some things here and there. But when research hits the media outlets the details are much more specific. Of course I'm paraphrasing some if the research stuff of course!
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/17/2015 Desertdi said:

They taught that in high school.........50 years ago.

They taught my grandmother 50 years before that, and she taught me as a child. What we're doing here is sharing information.

And I like this kind of info sharing a lot more than a lot of the other type, that goes on here!

If you're already eating a healthy diet, good for you! share your tips here, or pass it by.

I think I'm doing okay too, but am always open to new suggestions.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 september said:

september...if you eat oatmeal in the morning, throw on 2 HUGE handfuls of greens on top....they melt into the oatmeal. Nice way to get greens first thing! And fiber rich.

I do eat oatmeal...not sure how I'd feel throwing kale on top! I'd rather top it with fresh or dried fruit.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I eat the green veggies for lunch and dinner.

It doesn't appeal to me, either, LOL. We eat a lot of kale. My favorite way is a quick sautée in a little olive oil and thin garlic slices. Then add a little fat free chicken broth, top to cook tender and drizzle with a little fresh lemon juice to serve.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 glmama said: So much happens so quickly in the world of nutrition (and medical) news that we can all think we "know" about Fiber, but I believe the OP was pointing out very recent research pointing to the how truly important it is to one's diet. Like the very recent research on cholesterol that just came out to media outlets last week--about cholesterol not being as much of a contributing factor in heart disease as once thought--perhaps we've heard some things here and there. But when research hits the media outlets the details are much more specific. Of course I'm paraphrasing some if the research stuff of course!
Yes Smiley Happy And the comparative weight loss study IS new.
Honored Contributor

Noel...I finally gave in, and started eating kale just a short while ago! I always thought that since I ate so much spinach...I could just use that, instead. But now....I'm re-thinking kale.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It started with kale chips. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Frequent Contributor

OP, thanks for posting! I had not heard the news today about fiber and weight loss--I'll go check it out.