Honored Contributor

Have You Heard The News About Fiber?

It's all over the news today, high fiber in your food plan is good for your health and good for losing weight.

I've been passionate about eating a high fiber diet for years.

Excerpts:

"Dieting doesn’t have to be complicated. New research says one simple thing could not only help you lose weight, but improve your overall health. That one thing is eating more fiber."

"So, here’s the magic number: 30 grams of fiber a day.

To clarify, an apple has four grams of fiber, a cup of strawberries has eight. You get the biggest fiber boost with beans. A cup of cooked white beans has 19 grams of fiber, and a cup of lentils has 16 grams.

Then there’s fiber enhanced cereal and bread, or whole grain pasta."

The new research, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health, found that people who upped their fiber to 30 grams a day not only lost weight, but also had lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels.

There's one WARNING: You don't want to go from a low fiber diet to a high fiber diet overnight, you can get tummy pain. Take it slowly to build up to your goal.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/02/17/health-whether-youre-dieting-or-looking-to-improve-your...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Heard The News About Fiber?

As an addendum there are two types of fiber: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber: This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium. Insoluble fiber. This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts, beans and vegetables, such as cauliflower, green beans and potatoes, are good sources of insoluble fiber.
Super Contributor

This seems like a no-brainer to me.

Honored Contributor

Seriously....this is news? I guess all those people eating tons of meat, cheese, eggs and and oils...especially coconut oil in their coffee, will consider this "news".

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Plaid Pants said:

This seems like a no-brainer to me.

Do you keep track of the number of grams of fiber you ingest daily? Most likely, you're not getting enough unless it's a priority for you.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 sidsmom said:

Seriously....this is news? I guess all those people eating tons of meat, cheese, eggs and and oils...especially coconut oil in their coffee, will consider this "news".

sid, if you look at the news outlets, you would know it's news Wink

It was on my google news homepage this morning and just reported on ABC local news.

Seriously, it's news.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone have suggestions for high fiber food products?

I get a high fiber cereal from Trader Joe's, up to 9g per serving.

I also use Nature's Harvest whole grain Light bread, 6g fiber for a two piece serving.

An apple a day adds 4g more.

Those are just my basics.

Super Contributor

Exactly. I thought that it was common knowledge that fiber was good for you.

Guess not.

Honored Contributor

Guess not.

But are you getting enough?

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 NoelSeven said:

Guess not.

But are you getting enough?

Everybody knows that the more fiber you have, the better.

duh!