Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Had the Laser Treatment After Cataract Surgery?

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I had that "surgery" too.

It wasn't really surgery.  I was advised to look into a machine at a red dot light and not blink.  Then the light flashed green and it was all over.

Quick and easy and no pain.

@Carmie  That is how surgery is performed with a laser.

Oh, not all of the time.  I had a my torn retina repaired with a laser and it was more involved and extremely painful.  A most unpleasant experience if I must say so.

Honored Contributor

Had a laser "cleaning" done about 10 years after I had my first cataract surgery.  The process was fast and basically painless.  A bit noisy but as I remember not as noisy as an MRI.   It did imporve my vision which was good since I couldn't pass the vision test to renew my license before the cleansing.

Respected Contributor

I had cataract surgery in both eyes back in Arpil and really had no problems until one day I had blurred vision in my left eye.  Because I have really dry eyes, that was the problem according to the doctor.  Even before my surgery this was discussed.  In the past I'd use drops occasionally, but not often enough.  The doc advise to use a "rice sock".  His words, not mine.  Simply fill a clean sock with rice, knot the sock, microwave it for about 30-60 seconds.  Make sure it isn't too hot.  Then put the sock over your eyes while you're lying down for about 20 minutes or until the sock cools off.    Works better than drops if done faithfully.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I had that "surgery" too.

It wasn't really surgery.  I was advised to look into a machine at a red dot light and not blink.  Then the light flashed green and it was all over.

Quick and easy and no pain.

@Carmie  That is how surgery is performed with a laser.

Oh, not all of the time.  I had a my torn retina repaired with a laser and it was more involved and extremely painful.  A most unpleasant experience if I must say so.

@Carmie  I think you misunderstood my intent.  It was to say that laser surgery means not cutting the tissue with a knife.  It is not that every surgery is identical.  Indeed it is not.  Robot surgery for the colon would not be the same as it is for the kidney.  Neither laser surgery is identical for different parts.  But the message seemed to say that it was not surgery if it was not like yours.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

Yes, I had it after both surgeries. My left eye I had a Multi-focal iol put in it. My right eye I had the Mono-focal iol put in it. Pretty simple procedure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Sooner

Yes, I had it after both surgeries. My left eye I had a Multi-focal iol put in it. My right eye I had the Mono-focal iol put in it. Pretty simple procedure.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Great!  Thanks!  My folder must have a big chicken sticker on it at all the drs. and dentists I go to!  Woman Embarassed  The answers here help.  

I was particularly worried about how bad any floaters could be, sounds like not a real problem.  Even I thought the two surgeries for the cataract weren't bad.  My doc has them pass out Valium when you go back to get prepped and the party is on!  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I had the YAG procedure about 8 months after my cataract surgery. It was very quick and painless. I was told I might have some discomfort as I'm highy allergic to all ophthalmic topical numbing drops, but I didn't feel a thing. I had a floater about the size of a small school bus for about a week and then it just disappeared. Compared to having two procedures to repair a retinal detachment, both the cataract surgery and the YAG procedure were a piece of cake. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

yes, had it about 6 years after my cataract surgery- my vision deteriorated,and Ithought I needed readers..then stronger readers..then found out it was that- soeasy, so simple and so life changing..i was literally, leagally blind..My Dr describedit as the  membrane that "holds" in thelenso f your natural eye, andthen the artificiallens you get after cataract srgery, begins to "cloud"..it is actually a form of scarring- they take the YAG laser and basically bore a hole through it, and voila! you now see through that "hole"..It was, as described,  looking at a red dot in the machine, and poof! all done!

Valued Contributor

@Sooner

Yes, in one eye.  He did it at a check up!  It took about 10 seconds....sitting up...no prep, no pain.  I had no floaters, nothing afterwards.  Just had to put eye drops in for 2 weeks.  No after problems.  Very easy!!  Good luck!!  It is very common.