Respected Contributor

Have You Ever broken your THUMB?

Did I break my thumb?  I have no clue.  First, it was sore, now, it's swollen and I can't use it.  I can hear the bones "clicking" everytime I try to bend it.  

Seems the pain is now radiating down my wrist to my elbow.  Is this possible?  From a thumb injury?

Altho, I try NOT to move it at all, every day it swells more and unfortunately, my Dr.'s app't isn't until September.

Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever broken your THUMB?

Could it be gout??   I would either go to the ER, an ugent care center or call your doctor to be seen right away.

Honored Contributor

If you have radiating pain, please go to urgent care.  

If you did break bones, the ragged ends may may be pinching or tearing at the nerves in your finger causing that and you don't want those bones to do more damage that can't be repaired or worse start reconnecting in a bad way.  The doctor will just have to rebreak it if they can and set it properly and you are back to square one.

In the meantime, I will tell you what they told me when I broke my wrist in June.  Rest, Ice, and Elevation.  And if you can go buy a brace, it will save you the outrageous overcharge from getting one from them and keep you more comfortable until the experts see you.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't mess around with this another day. 100% agree that you need to get to your doctor or an Urgent Care or the ER..........TODAY. And if at all possible, have someone else take you, don't drive yourself there unless there is no way in the world anyone else is available to take you.

Honored Contributor

You can't wait until September to see a doctor.  Like others have said, you must go to the ER or Urgent Care today.  You can't let this go on and possibly do more damage to your hand

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Much more likely you dislocated the joint at the bottom where it meets your palm. They can x-ray the thumb, see where the damage is and treat it. If it's dislocated they give an anesthetic shot (local) and will manipulate the joint back in place. Relief will be very quick!

it is possible you have developed "trigger thumb", which has similar symptoms, but not nearly as extreme. 

Of course you could break a bone there and it would have to be set so it could heal. You should not delay getting emergency care. It is almost impossible to conduct every day life without a usable thumb. Waiting for a regular doctor appointment in September is not using good judgment. 

You do not say if this problem is on your dominant hand or the other, but get smart and get diagnosed and treated immediately. Not only should you be seeking relief from pain, but you should be trying to prevent permanent damage. Do not underestimate the value of a thumb. More than any other digit, it is quite necessary for your hand to effectively work.

Sorry for your pain. Get to an emergency room, urgent care facility, or an orthopedist. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

Bones like thumbs do not usually break without some sort of trauma. Most people remember trauma because it usually hurts like he!!. Only 1 way I know of to get an answer, and like most serious types of injuries, the longer one waits, the worse it gets. The injury can get more severe and include more tissue if left untreated. What have you been doing to treat it? 

I could list the complications, but that would serve no useful purpose. I have not broke a thumb, but I did tear the ligament that connects the thumb to the 1st finger, which put me in a cast for 6+ weeks. It was from about 2-3" down from my elbow over the forearm, including my whole hand. Only exposed parts were the very tip of my thumb and my 4 fingers, from the knuckles up.

Do as others here have already suggested. Why wait?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Much more likely you dislocated the joint at the bottom where it meets your palm.

Bingo!  THAT is exactly where the pain is .. and the "clickling" noise.  

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

Much more likely you dislocated the joint at the bottom where it meets your palm.

Bingo!  THAT is exactly where the pain is .. and the "clickling" noise.  

@RinaRina

I have had my fingers, and thumbs dislocated several times. I grab the dislocated joint firmly and strongly yank it straight out. Worked every time for me. When a Ref in hockey games this is a pretty common occurrence. It feels better immediately, but it takes time before all the residual issues are gone.

Can't imagine dislocating a finger or thumb without knowing when and how it happened. Your best bet is to see a professional as this may not be your issue. I knew from experiences, or I too would seek help from a professional.

Hey! It's your thumb!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Nobody here is a doctor.

If you want to know what is wrong with your thumb, then go to Urgent Care, or the ER, or make an emergency appointment with your doctor and find out for sure what is going on with your thumb.