Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever broken your THUMB?

[ Edited ]

Sounds like gout in the joint.  If you broke your thumb, I do not think you could move it at all. If it does  not go away after a day or two you need to see a doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

Curious to know the wind-up of this, visit to urgent care or ER or what?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shaggygirl

She @RinaRina is good at giving followups, and that is a good thing. Who likes to share experiences with someone that starts that type of thread, and then moves on without even a "hello"!  I know that I am not a fan of those that don't have the time to update. Many times my sharing with them is just that 1 time. My time, their time? Time to want suggestions, but no time to followup? You decide, I already have.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Did I break my thumb?  I have no clue.  First, it was sore, now, it's swollen and I can't use it.  I can hear the bones "clicking" everytime I try to bend it.  

Seems the pain is now radiating down my wrist to my elbow.  Is this possible?  From a thumb injury?

Altho, I try NOT to move it at all, every day it swells more and unfortunately, my Dr.'s app't isn't until September.

Woman Sad

@RinaRina

I broke my thumb when I was a child. (and still remember the day) For what it is worth, I could not bend it.

September is far too long to wait for an assessment.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Went to ER yesterday and an x-ray was done.  I do NOT have any broken bones.  However, the ER Dr. said I should keep my Dr's app't for September because I might have a meniscus tear.

THANKS EVERYONE for your feedback!

BTW, the injury has gotten worse.  Now, I can't bend my thumb at all.  But it is a relief knowing I didn't break any bones.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

You should't wait. Did you tell the receptionist the details? What is wrong with the Doctor offices anymore? If You wait it might get very complicated. Please go to the urgent care. It isn't a good idea to wait. XOXOFrom someone who really cares!!!

I called two Dr.'s offices -- hand surgeons.  Both persons who answered the phones (@ two different offices) were non-chalant.  I suppose since they get these calls all day, saying you think you broke your thumb is like saying your hangnail hurts.

Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Oh!  When I pick up the radiology report, I'll let you know what is says.

Thanks again, everyone.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Went to ER yesterday and an x-ray was done.  I do NOT have any broken bones.  However, the ER Dr. said I should keep my Dr's app't for September because I might have a meniscus tear.

BTW, the injury has gotten worse.  Now, I can't bend my thumb at all.  But it is a relief knowing I didn't break any bones.

"Meniscus tear"?? Meniscus is part of your knee! If it's your thumb that's injured, there's no meniscus there. You are right to pursue seeing an orthopedic doc specializing in the hand. Don't wait until September. Yes, pick up the X-rays, see a proper doc, even if the receptionist isn't too impressed. 

Hope pain  eases for you. 

Your follow up reports are greatly informative. For a women in pain, you are generous to keep us so well informed.

Praying for pain relief and complete healing for you. 

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

"Meniscus tear"?? Meniscus is part of your knee! If it's your thumb that's injured, there's no meniscus there. You are right to pursue seeing an orthopedic doc specializing in the hand. Don't wait until September. Yes, pick up the X-rays, see a proper doc, even if the receptionist isn't too impressed. 

Your follow up reports are greatly informative. For a women in pain, you are generous to keep us so well informed.

THAT IS SO WEIRD!!  When he said I might have a meniscus tear, I told him, I didn't know thumbs had meniscus (pl).  eyeroll ...

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

THAT IS SO WEIRD!!  When he said I might have a meniscus tear, I told him, I didn't know thumbs had meniscus (pl).  eyeroll ...

OMG!  I just looked at the ER Dr's report.

It says: "Muscle strain".

That's it!

I'll have to get the radiology report for sure!

SMH (annoyed!)