Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Used Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade) For Health Benefits?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest  @Sunshine Kate 

I buy my silica supplement from Amazon. The name is Bulksupplements Bamboo Extract Powder, item number  B01LWBFI3H . I take a heaping rounded 1/4 teaspoon daily. 

Here are a few NIH publications regarding silica (aka silicon, don't confuse this with silicone it is not the same thing) and it's health benefits:

"Silicon: A Review of Its Potential Role in the Prevention and Treatment of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671293/

"Use of silicon for skin and hair care: an approach of chemical forms available and efficacy*"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4938278/

"SILICON AND BONE HEALTH"

@SilleeMee thanks for the reply.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest ,

I just wanted to show that there's scientific evidence about silica's health benefits and that I wasn't just makin' that stuff up.Smiley Happy

I know, just  a lot of information, my mind wonders  off some where else!! Do have a question,since you know so much about this type of stuff, what do you give your dog,in supplements?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest ,

I just wanted to show that there's scientific evidence about silica's health benefits and that I wasn't just makin' that stuff up.Smiley Happy

I know, just  a lot of information, my mind wonders  off some where else!! Do have a question,since you know so much about this type of stuff, what do you give your dog,in supplements?

I just give my golden Cosequin DS, one tablet daily.  I was giving her Pet-Tabs but my vet told me to stop giving them because he said she didn't need them. @goldensrbest 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest ,

I just give my golden Cosequin DS, one tablet daily.  I was giving her Pet-Tabs but my vet told me to stop giving them because he said she didn't need them. @goldensrbest 

Does she not have allergies? I am giving my cambridge,  so many things , trying to help her,  she also has dandruff,comes with allergies, fish oil does not help ,salmon oil either, at wits end,if i listed every thing i have tried a person would not believe it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My golden does not have allergies. But she does have slightly dry skin with some flaking but it doesn't bother her any. It's usually the worst just before I take her to the groomer. After that it's fine. @goldensrbest 

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Anonymous032819  .... I tried it recently.  Very little.... 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon daily.  Even in such a small amount, I ended up with the runs after a couple of weeks, and that took a couple weeks to clear up.  

I've tried it to kill ants outside, but it didn't work so well on those either!

It will kill the ants if you use it right.

It takes several applications and a generous amount.

When we had a home at the lake, every spring I would sprinkle a large amount in a circle around our small home.    It keeps the ants from getting inside.    A large can of Comet will do the same thing and smells better. 

The DE will eventually kill the ants, it basically dehydrates them.   For ants, it's like walking through ground glass.      

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have heard about the potential benefits of taking this, but I was just curious if anybody here has used it for health reasons?

What are your opinions on it, and what were your results?

I'm just curious if it is all that it claims to be (better hair, skin, nails, helps the joints and ligiments, cleanse the liver, lower cholesterol, makes one more regular)

TIA!

I take it daily..also give it to my dog. Helps with joint pain..my hair and nails seem to grow overnight...you can apply it to cat's and dog's to prevent fleas...so many other things..its amazing!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Longhorn Gal wrote:

I just started using diatomaceous earth about a week ago.  I was more interested in it for my pets to get rid of parasites.  I decided to test it myself first though after reading the possible benefits for humans.   I add about a tsp to water.  If you start out taking too much you can have some side effects.  It is also very imporant not to breathe it in.  There is a great website with information about all benefits and they sell food grade DE.  diatomaceousearth dot com. 

Been taking this for several years now~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West