Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Been So Tired

I have been where you are. It is very hard to function after days of very little sleep. I would try and try to go to sleep and still be awake at 2 or 3 in the morning, mind racing with all kinds of thoghts.

I did go to my dr. I was very depressed, we had a death early this year that honestly just knocked me for a loop.  Anyway, I did get some a couple of different rx's for sleep. It made a huge difference. Sometimes, I still take one of them now other times, I can take a could advil pm and that helps me. 

Good luck. I would call my dr., I hope you can get some rest. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • (thread title)

@rms1954 

That is such a vague term, "so tired"! For me I could cite many times I have been physically "so tired", along with mentally "so tired". But the "most tired"? Not very easily for me.

Not getting much sleep is something I became accustomed to when I was 12 years old. Working at a Drive-in Restaurant 5 nights a week until after 1am. Getting up to go to 7th grade in a catholic grade school.

Working the "graveyard shift(midnight to 8am)/4pm-Midnight for close to 15 years. Neither one of those shifts are conducive, to most, for sleeping regular, or many straight hours.

Mentally nothing I can think off has ever made my days different from lack of sleep. Now I have had 6 actual Sleep Studies, albeit nothing to do with lack of sleep or trouble sleeping. Of these 6? 3 said "this" and 3 said "that". In other words their purposes contradicted each other.

When working, 4-5 hours of sleep was the best for me. Any more than that was too much. Naps? Never did any good, but did do the opposite, which was make me more tired.

Just about everything you say is going wrong for you is going just fine with me. Maybe just 1 thing, "stumbling over your own feet"? That would be me, but I have been a klutz my whole adult life, and have scars all over my body to prove it.

Yesterday I went out our partially opened garage door to check something. Going back I was looking back down the driveway. Whoopsi, I walked right into the bottom of the "partially opened" garage door, with the side of left face above and beside my left eye. Ice bag on it much of the day, today? Turning a nice black and left eye partially closed. So goes my life.

Now put ice skates on these same feet? None of those problems exist. You told your story, I have told a snipit of mine. What can you do? That depends on your overall medical and physical condition, or conditioning. I find the more physically fit I am, the less things effect me. Right now I am as physically fit as any man close to 81 can be, and with that I am overjoyed.

Hopefully you find something/someone that can reduce the way you are feeling, or help you regain some or your "get up an go".

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Agree you are not alone. Being tired is not uncommon when your world changes. You're not just physically tired, but emotionally drained. As mentioned, the best alone time is a gratitude walk. Take naps during the day until you can get back on track. Be kind to yourself. Focus on this being a time of upheaval so things are weird instead of something being wrong with you. One day at a time. Good luck. Being tired can really mess us up. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain! Same problem some nights....it ruins the whole next day. I have figured out how to make it better for me....turn off the tv...it’s not a distraction, it is keeping you up. Make sure the room is very dark; use darkening shades or wear a mask on your eyes. I start trying to name different topics alphabetically....don’t laugh! It works, so my mind is not focused on why can’t I sleep, but on something else. I fall asleep. Last night, it was names of cities in alpha order. The night before it was boys names in alpha order. I got to H so will be finishing that tonight. Works for me.....😎

Trusted Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@Karie2022 wrote:

I think you have plenty of company....I've been going to bed anywhere from 12-2, hearing dh get up at 7, falling back to sleep somewhat and climbing out of bed at 11ish....so not like me...I'm usually the first one up, 6am....definitely feeling some depression....plus we had to put our beloved dog down two weeks ago...my heart is broken.  So strange not to see her....but I'm dealing with it the best I can, and cry when I need to...

I'm so sorry about your dog!!!!!...bless your heart. I take CALM, its a magnesium drink...I'm able to go to sleep and rest most of the night. I'm in my sixties..I think age is a big factor too also lack of exercise~

Thankyou💕

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Thank you all for being supportive.  I know there are so many of us feeling different things now.  I'm trying, I really am.  I just don't feel like trying any longer.  Yesterday my body felt like I was in another zone or something ... I felt drunk.  

@rms1954 

I am not a medical doctor but you do sound as if you may be experiencing some sort of mild depression. Do you have anyone that you can talk to. A family member, a good GF, a therapist if necessary.

Take care of yourself, and when your husband starts getting on your case, tell him that if he cannot be supportive, to take a long walk off a very short pier. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@DottieBlue wrote:

@rms1954:  You posted that you don't have any time for yourself.  Why is that?  Do you have young children to take care of or other things?  You MUST take some time for yourself, to relax and do something pleasurable, like listening to music, taking a nap or a long bath, taking a walk, going for a drive.  Or just stay in bed in the morning even if you are not able to sleep.  Get up later.  Give yourself permission to do whatever it takes to "recharge your batteries."

When I can't sleep, I turn on the radio to our local PBS station with the volume low.  I choose this station because the tone of voices is steady and pleasant, no blaring music or commercials, etc.  To me, it just sounds like murmuring voices in conversation.  I can't even make out exactly what they are saying because the volume is so low, but that is what I want.  It helps to lull me to sleep as I'm not "paying attention" like I would the TV and no disturbing light that would be coming from the TV.

I hope you can get some good sleep.  Insomnia is awful.

Take care.

I have no young children.  I can't live my life like I was since my husband is home.  He's on me about EVERYTHING I do.  

----------

Your post made me remember...have friends that had just retired last year.  The wife always had the day to herself since her husband worked away from home. But now they are both home all day. Recently, the wife told me "I married my husband for life, but not for lunch everyday!"  A change in life patterns can be stressful....

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954 Have been thinking of you today - just know you are not alone and we care.

I know there are anonymous help #'s one can call - sometimes it just helps to talk/vent it all out to someone - that might be a possibility for you.  

Take care,

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 

Is your husband being verbally/physically abusive to you since he's been working from home?  Do you think he realizes how much he is negatively impacting you since you've had to be together 24/7?  Was your relationship better when he used to be at work and not at home during the day?

Husbands should be supportive, you sound greatly in need of help.  Do you have someone you trust to talk to about your situation at home-- a friend or relative?  

I may be interpreting your posts incorrectly, but it sounds to me that you are in critical need of help for the situation you are in now.  You sound so hopeless, but there is hope if you reach out for help. 

If you have no one in your life right now who can help you, please call a National Crisis Helpline.  If you fear your husband wouldn't approve, take your phone out for a drive or walk and then place the call.

It sounds to me that much more than insomnia is the problem.

Remember-- many, many posters here care.  And forgive me if I am intruding.

ETA:  Suggestions:

www.crisistextline.org

or

1-800-273-8255

They are available to talk about any subject.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have been that not tired, fatigued, really.  I normalize my bed time and rising.  If need be, I'll take melatonin.