Honored Contributor

I haven't been sleeping well the last six weeks.  When I go to bed I find it hard to drift off to sleep.  I usually end up watching TV just as a distraction.  Next thing I know it's 3 a.m.  I shut the TV off and go back to sleep and then it's 6 or so and I hear cars going by and usual neighbor dog barking.  Then I hear my husband moving around as he works from home now.  He has online meetings and I hear him talking. So I get up exhausted.  Today I'm just so weary, tired, and drained.  No energy.  I have no time for myself.  I couldn't even think straight today.  I don't even have an appetite these days.  

I'm stumbling over my own feet. I feel dizzy.  I wish I could just be alone for a week.  I just want some peace and quiet ... and sleep.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Been So Tired

@rms1954 I'm sorry you are going through that ... my philosophy the last couple months is I can only do the best I can at doing the best I can.  Take care,

Honored Contributor

As many people are now, you may have a case of mild depression.  I would suggest you call your doctor or ask them if you might take melatonian which is in the mineral area at your pharmacy.  I take it so I sleep just the smallest bit deeper so DH and DD (dear dog) don't awaken me with their breathing, snoring.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 -

I don't think you are alone in this.

I was just talking to my mother and daughter about this.

I usually never have trouble falling asleep but lately I sure have.

I can be falling asleep on the couch, get into bed, and end up lying there for hours unnable to sleep!

Not every night but maybe 2 times a week. My mother and daughters, the same.

Now I understand how awful people who talk about insomnia feel! I never had it before and now I understand how it feels.

But I'm not going to worry about it either. I think there are a lot of things we will probably experience in these extraordinary times and as @colleena  said, "I can only do the best I can at doing the best I can."

I think this is great advice and encouragement.

And a few months ago, I read some wise person said, we may find ourselves doing things to cope these days that we dont normally do. Not to feel bad, because we won't do them forever, and we can get back to where we were.

Hopefully!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you have plenty of company....I've been going to bed anywhere from 12-2, hearing dh get up at 7, falling back to sleep somewhat and climbing out of bed at 11ish....so not like me...I'm usually the first one up, 6am....definitely feeling some depression....plus we had to put our beloved dog down two weeks ago...my heart is broken.  So strange not to see her....but I'm dealing with it the best I can, and cry when I need to...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

I have always been a nightowl and it was hard when I worked.  I would go to bed at 2 - 3 a.m. and had to get up by 7 a.m. and never got enough sleep.  (I usually stayed in bed until 7:30 anyway and was always late).

Now I indulge in my nightowlness and sleep til 11 a.m.  Some days I even nap if I'm bored enough.  I may wake during the night but fortunately mostly can go back to sleep.  DH gets up at 6 a.m. and shuts the bedroom door so it is still quiet in the house.  As you can see, it is 2:30 a.m. and I am posting.

With the stay at home deal, it sure helps to sleep the morning away.  Less hours to flll sitting in the house all day.  I am just about done with the stay at home and I want to get out and pretend things are normal for at least awhile, then it hits me, things may never been normal again. 

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954:  You posted that you don't have any time for yourself.  Why is that?  Do you have young children to take care of or other things?  You MUST take some time for yourself, to relax and do something pleasurable, like listening to music, taking a nap or a long bath, taking a walk, going for a drive.  Or just stay in bed in the morning even if you are not able to sleep.  Get up later.  Give yourself permission to do whatever it takes to "recharge your batteries."

When I can't sleep, I turn on the radio to our local PBS station with the volume low.  I choose this station because the tone of voices is steady and pleasant, no blaring music or commercials, etc.  To me, it just sounds like murmuring voices in conversation.  I can't even make out exactly what they are saying because the volume is so low, but that is what I want.  It helps to lull me to sleep as I'm not "paying attention" like I would the TV and no disturbing light that would be coming from the TV.

I hope you can get some good sleep.  Insomnia is awful.

Take care.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karie2022 wrote:

I think you have plenty of company....I've been going to bed anywhere from 12-2, hearing dh get up at 7, falling back to sleep somewhat and climbing out of bed at 11ish....so not like me...I'm usually the first one up, 6am....definitely feeling some depression....plus we had to put our beloved dog down two weeks ago...my heart is broken.  So strange not to see her....but I'm dealing with it the best I can, and cry when I need to...

I'm so sorry about your dog!!!!!...bless your heart. I take CALM, its a magnesium drink...I'm able to go to sleep and rest most of the night. I'm in my sixties..I think age is a big factor too also lack of exercise~

Trusted Contributor

I have also been having a hard time sleeping. The other day I saw something about this. They said to put clean sheets on  your bed every 3 to 4 days. So yesterday and washed  my new Scott Brothers sheets and the blankets and added a couple extra fabric softener sheets to the dryer. I don't know why but I fell asleep at 9:30 and  didn't wake up until 5:30.

I told hubby you know what happens when I  get a good nights sleep. He said I'll get my work gloves.

Respected Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

@Karie2022 No wonder you are feeling down....dealing with the new stresses, especially the loss of your beloved dog.  I'm so sorry....sending a prayer and good thoughts to you.  🌷