Trusted Contributor

Has this ever happened to anyone?

[ Edited ]

I was scheduled for surgery this morning. No food/drink after midnight. Got there at 7:15. Had the hospital gown on & the IV was started. I hate needles so the IV is the worst part for me. I also have tiny veins so the first attempt blew my vein. She tried the other hand & that one worked fine. I’m just waiting for the anesthesiologist to come in.

Next thing I know a nurse tells me “unfortunately we don’t have something we need to do your surgery today. Can you come back tomorrow?” I honestly thought they were kidding. I had time off work- my husband took the day off work. So now I’m sitting home waiting for them to call me & let me know when to come back. They weren’t entirely sure they would have what they needed tomorrow either so I guess I’m on standby. Oh, they did give me two coupons for breakfast in the cafeteria but we just left. DH was going to go back to work in case he has to have tomorrow off too.

So now I’m sitting home wondering what the heck just happened. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I guess someone, maybe the anesthesiologist, could have called in sick. But why wouldn’t they just say that? Or maybe a machine in the ER wasn’t working. They were very vague about it. The nurse said everything was like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle & one of the parts was missing today. 

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. 

UPDATE- the nurse just called me back. They are 99.9% sure they will have what they need this afternoon. She wanted to know if I would want to come back today. They’re going to call me after 11:30 & let me know for sure. I’d really like this taken care of today so I’m waiting for their call. They never really said anything about coming back today so I had coffee & biscotti an hour ago. I told the nurse that & she said that would be ok. This is crazy... 

Honored Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone?

I think they should have been more forthcoming about the problem.  It's not okay that they're allowed to disrupt your life but you're not allowed to disrupt theirs.  Two coupons for breakfast in the cafeteria is lame.

Honored Contributor

I am sure this was not it but it could always be a member of the medical team was not prepared or surgery ready.  I would find it hard to believe they didn't have a piece of equipment or a drug unless there was an emergency which there absolutely could have been. 

I totally get the frustration.  I would be beyond aggravated especially when you mentally prepare for something like that.  If the facility wasn't comfortable doing it, you are better off waiting til another day.  Maybe someone will be off the sauce by then.  LOL  

Seriously, I hope when it does happen it is something you sail through and recover from beautifully.  Heart

Valued Contributor

So sorry that happened. I did have a surgery postponed, at the last minute, but they had not gone as far as prepping me or putting in an IV. That is inexcusable IMO. 

Honored Contributor

Just one time years ago.  I was scheduled for morning surgery - but it was delayed until late afternoon.  (Doc had to operate on a kid who had an accident that almost severed his fingers!)

So I just sat there in the room with all the others waiting (in our hospital gowns) ... reading and chatting.  Not really a big deal ... stuff happens that I have absolutely no control over.

I was fortunate that the folks waiting were pleasant and my over-night roomate was interesting.

Regular Contributor

Wow, now I don't feel so bad.......Had an appt. yesterday with my surgeon for checkup(my surgery was last April, being followed every 4 months) He has been wonderful and very kind, etc. Between my appt. and the time he walked into the  exam room was TWO hours - and it was a gyn exam - his hands were freezing and so was his stethtoscope(?sp) - all went well, but as my husband and I agreed Dr. did not even say "sorry for the delay" My husband and I were put out for the first time with him. Supposedly, he had to go into a surgery and all his appts. were pushed back. It seems more like he was late or took a break that involved going out in the cold.......will let it slide for now.......

So if you have good insurance, make sure you are not charged for anything that was done to you while you were waiting for surgery.......

Good luck and be well

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't you ask what the thing they needed was?  I certainly would have.  No, it's never happened to me or anyone I know.  I do know that elective surgeries in smaller hospitals can be rescheduled for a variety of valid reasons.  Operating room space is a big one.  If they only have 3 operating rooms and they need all three for urgent surgeries that day, they have no choice except to push the electives back a day.  If the equipment in an operating room needs a repair, again they will do the serious surgeries and push the others back.  If a patient has a rare blood type and they don't have enough in their blood bank, they will push elective surgeries back.  Yes, if your surgeon called in sick, they would postpone your surgery.  If your surgeon had an emergent case, they would postpone his electives.  The only thing that surprises me about your situation is that they didn't tell you exactly what the situation was that required rescheduling your surgery.  I've worked in healthcare for 25 years and I've seen thousands of medical records so I have seen situations like yours but they are always honest with the patient.  Honestly puts the patient's mind at ease and promotes confidence in the hospital.  When you go back tomorrow, you should ask the surgeon why you weren't informed about the reasons for rescheduling.  

Esteemed Contributor

What bothers me too is that they will probably charge you too...

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

What bothers me too is that they will probably charge you too...

Yes, they will because they are entitled to charge for canceled procedures.  They will charge her insurance company for use of the pre-op room, for starting the iv, for whatever supplies they used.  

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

I heard them say that I wasn’t being charged for anything today. Thank goodness for that.