Honored Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone?

Yay @Tribesters!  Glad it is over with for you.  What a day.  Get some rest and put it all behind you.  Heart

Respected Contributor

omg tribefan i so would not be happy. sorry to here how that went but never had that happen but went for an mri and half way thru it and machine broke down so i had to go back a week later.

Esteemed Contributor

That is frustrating. It has never happened to me, but it did to a friend of mine. It was several years ago, she was having surgery on her leg. They had taken her back, started the IV, had to bring her out of sedation and the dr told her they didn't have some kind of a surgical instrument they needed for her surgery. She ended up having the surgery a couple of days later.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters  They would have to be 100% certain they had what they needed in order for me to return.  I would have been livid, to say the least, and no, I have never heard of such a thing.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

What bothers me too is that they will probably charge you too...

Yes, they will because they are entitled to charge for canceled procedures.  They will charge her insurance company for use of the pre-op room, for starting the iv, for whatever supplies they used.  

@chrystaltree Isn't that only if the patient cancels?  If the doctor cancels, there should be no charge to the patient, and I would raise heck if there were.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of cancelling surgery after a patient is prepped and waiting. And no one could provide you with an explanation?  

I think a letter to the hospital administrator is in order. Someone knows what happened, they just aren’t telling you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH had to go in to have surgery for cancer in his leg....he was only in the operating room for five minutes when his two surgeons and the anesthesiologist came out to the waiting room with grim looks on their faces...my heart sank.....they said they were going to postpone the surgery til the following day since the anesthesiologist didn’t want to put him under until she consulted with a peer about the new drug she would be using.....she had never used it and “ didn’t know anything about it”. I was relieved and upset all at the same time. She was going to use a drug she wasn’t familiar with? We went home and he had the surgery the following week with a different anesthesiologist...one with experience....

Honored Contributor

I would have demanded an explanation. Sounds like a hospital administrator should have made an unsolicited appearance also.
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess   And some in the medical profession wonder why some folks don't like to go see the doctor or be hospitalized, me being one of those people.

But an anesthesiologist being unfamiliar with the drug to be used is just hurting my brain.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was prepped for surgery lying on a gurney and covered with a sheet.  A man in a white coat came up and lifted the sheet and said, "Ummmm."  Time passed and the same man came up again and lifted the sheet and said, "Ummmm." 

I was annoyed and asked, "Doctor, when are they going to take me into surgery?"  He answered, "I don't know, lady.  I'm just the painter down the hall."

This is a joke, folks!