Respected Contributor

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone?

I hope you have not eaten anything since you came back home, while waiting to see if you are going back today.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@Nataliesgramma

I heard them say that I wasn’t being charged for anything today. Thank goodness for that.

You shouldn't be charged

If it was your fault, maybe

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes, similar issues have happened to myself and family members for different reasons.  Both myself and DH had our procedures delayed for a couple of hours.   But we have never been sent home then called to return.

The worst happened to my brother.  He had to arrive for 6:30am.  Hospital was an hour away, it was a snowy morning.  He had car trouble in route, and called me. Luckily he's an early bird, we made it to the hospital on time.  They take him, prep him thoroughly, IV, etc.  His is a nervous wreck as usual.  Then everything stopped.  They tell him the anesthesiologist refused to participate, because they didn't have his PCP's clearance on his EKG.  We asked them to call the PCP; they refused.  We asked them to do another EKG; they refused.  Home we went.

Valued Contributor

@Tribesters  I am like you are with needles.  I now ask that they start the IV once I am in the OR and asleep.  If it is possible for the kind of surgery they are doing -- they have been great about it.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters  In a nice way if I were you I'd demand to have a face to face with the team - surgeon, surgical nurse, anesthe'ist. What was 'missing' that wasn't there? Did the surgeon explain exactly what's to take place?

I'd be skeptical and extremely nervous just about NOW. I am not at all trying to make you more uneasy but something isn't right with all of this. I don't need to know your situation as to why you're supposed to have surgery, not my business. I'm feeling uneasy for you.

Ask lots of questions until you understand what happened.

Respected Contributor

What the heck was it that they needed?  A test or a piece of equiptment?  Im thinking it was equiptment and maybe the nurse scheduler at the hospital screwed it up.  That can happen.  All the docs share certain equiptment, lasers, robots etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, I have been sent home after a bit of a wait.  But I was given a very clear reason why.     Those gowns are the worst to wait in.

Respected Contributor

I volunteer at several hospitals & things happen...equipment fails & needed personal aren't available due to emergencies & illness. The details of what happened aren't usually shared at with patients, they're simply rescheduled with an apology. Going through prep for nothing is maddening but I wouldn't be concerned about the treatment you receive going forward....Best Wishes to you.

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ

They never really mentioned that I would go back today- they said possibly tomorrow. For some reason I still was hesitant to eat or drink. I waited 2 hours & had coffee with biscotti. Then the nurse called to see if I would come back this afternoon. She said the food wouldn’t be a problem. Makes me wonder how important the fasting is.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments. After reading some of them I realize this could have been worse. 

I went back to hospital & had my surgery around 1:30. Still didn’t get any specifics on what it was that they didn’t have earlier. Everyone was very apologetic & nice. I even got a rose when I left.

I’m just glad it’s over with. I’m exhausted & am planning on a nap very soon.