Honored Contributor

Has there been a change in Medicare drug pricing recently?

My husband went to pick up one of his medications recently. He had paid $30 at Walmart since he started taking the drug a few years ago.

He switched pharmacies to CVS on the recommendation of our Medicare Insurance Agent. Our Agent said that CVS was going to be hundreds of dollars cheaper than Walmart. Now that same drug at CVS is $120.

All my medications had cost -0- for years. Now I have to pay at least $12 for just about every medication.

I guess I should expect that everything has gone up in price. But I am shocked how the price has increased so much.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has there been a change in Medicare drug pricing recently?

@drizzellla CVS owns Aetna. I am not certain if they own Silver Scripts or not, but they seem to have an iron grip on its drug policy.I would change back if you can to Walmart. The problem is the CVS conflict of interest. They are both the insurance and the drug provider. They stopped dispensing the generic Nexium that controlled my acid reflux. I had to change to another pharmacy. Now when I get my 30 day supply because they will not allow a 90 day supply to be filled by them, I get a text reminding me I could get 90 days from CVS and save. It really doesn't do much good to save if the medication doesn't control the problem. 

You might check Mark Cuban's pharmacy to see if they have your husband's meds.  It is really low cost.

Esteemed Contributor

We just signed up for Medicare a couple of months ago. I chose the United healthcare drug plan, based on our Medicare agents recommendation. What a scam! Their copayments are much higher than using a Good RX coupon card. I pay good money for that part D, but as soon as sign-up comes along, I'm dumping it for the cheapest prescription plan. The copayments are just too high.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

I seem to remember trying to decide which health insuram

nce program to go with about three years ago.  It was almost the last night left to choose.

One of the options was CVS....but when I called to verify what the price for one of my more expensive meds' 90-day supply would be, it made the decision quite easy.  My med was $90 under the old plan but almost $600 with CVS.

I would not take the advice of any agent, but would call the different pharmacies to get their prices on the same drug as well as the generic version if your doctor permits the generic.

Good Luck as we come up on the next year's choice time !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I wonder if the "Medicare agent" gets a commission for recommending a certain prescription plan?  Since I get my prescription plan through the company I retired from, I am not contacted by an agent.

Respected Contributor

The beginning of the year, my Anoro (for COPD) was over $500.00. Next time it went down to $177.00. When I reorder, it's to be $346.00 because I'm in the donut hole now.There is no generic. Is your husband in the donut hole?

Valued Contributor

My Part D insurer has a "by mail" pharmacy that has zero co-pay on most Tier 1 drugs for 90 day supplies.  I think at CVS they are $3-$6 co=pay.  It depends on what tier your meds fall into as to the price, but GoodRX was a shockingly good surprise to me.  I was twice prescribed a very expensive antibiotic and the first time a 10 day (10 pills!) supply

was a $90 co-pay with my insurance.  I forgot I had Good RX and the second time I had to get that stuff I asked how much if I used GRX.....Less than $50 for twice as many pills!

CVS must have deals with many of these insurers because they are a "preferred pharmacy" (supposedly cheaper co-pays ) while Walgreens and Rite-Aid are not.

Respected Contributor

Drug prices are decided by your Part D insurance , your supplemental plan or Part C if youre in a Advantage plan.  Before you decide on a plan, you can go into their sites and see how much each prescription will cost.  I have United AARP plan , but I will have the lowest prices if I go to Walgreens. thats one of their plans.  CVS tends to have the highest prices in my area, luckily Walgreen is in town also.  I wouldnt rely on my insurance agent to really help.  You have to be aggresive for yourself and look up what RX's concern you.  Afterall, insurance people are selling you the plans that they get the highest commission from. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In case your interested there's an App called GoodRx... it gives you drug prices at Walmart...Walgreens...Target ...CVS... Costco as well as others in your area...This gives you some idea of the cost when the Doctor orders it..... or other medication you are already taking...

Frequent Contributor

Also, check to see if your insurance has a preferred pharmacy.  When I changed plans a couple of years ago, I had to change the pharmacy I was going to.   The preferred pharmacy will give you the best price.   You can go to a nonpreferred, however you will end up paying more for your scripts.