Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has there been a change in Medicare drug pricing recently?

@Josmad wrote:

Check your drug plan's formulary to see if the drug is now in a different Tier. They can  change throughout the year. 

They can put drugs on different tiers you are correct.  They have to let you know with a 30 day notice that if a drug you are taken will move to a new tier, thereby costing you more.  If this happens at the very beginning of your initial enrollment in a plan you drop and rethink your plan in March of every year after Open enrollment.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My preferred pharmacy is CVS. The cost for my scripts is zero whether I pick up scripts in the store or use the CVS Pharmacy by mail. 

I've used Good RX for scripts that aren't covered by Siver Scripts. 

Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset  No, I meet my deductible for drugs in January every year. 

I was suprised that one already expensive med increased three months straight. And that $13/month, then $13 again, and once again, is for 14 pills.

Esteemed Contributor

@KLm wrote:

@gertrudecloset  No, I meet my deductible for drugs in January every year. 

I was suprised that one already expensive med increased three months straight. And that $13/month, then $13 again, and once again, is for 14 pills.

Oh, I see.  Then what good is your insurance plan?  Are you in the donut hole or something?  You must take drugs that are expensive.  They should cost what the insurance company says they will cost for various Tiers.  Tier 1 drugs are cheap and cost almost nothing on some plans.  Tier 2 are next to the cheapest.  Tier 3 are higher cost drugs that may or may not have a generic equivalent.  If I get a drug in Tier 3 it does have a generic equivalent so I only pay $50 per prescription @KLm .  

Can you do a spreadsheet to see how you make from the beginning of the year until open enrollment?  I try to comparison shop for plans during open enrollment!  Being nickled and dimed to death is getting on my nerves.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Yes I hit the donut hole in January. Every year. The med is expensive, Tier 4 or 5 I think. Without insurance, I don't know how I would pay for it. Believe me, medicare and my supplemental pays the huge portion of all of them.