Respected Contributor

Has the flu season started...in Michigan?

Was at the pharmacy and waited in line with someone picking up Tamiflu for a relative sick with the 'flu'. High fever was the only detail I heard.

I haven't even had my flu shot yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has the flu season started...in Michigan?

I heard on the news that a few people already have the flu here in PA.  The strain they have is a strain that is in the flu vaccine this year.

It seems like finally, they got it right, so the vaccine should be more effective this year.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I heard on the news that a few people already have the flu here in PA.  The strain they have is a strain that is in the flu vaccine this year.

It seems like finally, they got it right, so the vaccine should be more effective this year.

PA is mighty close to MI...will get my shot today! Thank you for the info.

Honored Contributor

I think so..I live in an area that is filled with people from all over the world , so stuff usually circulates rather fast here

Honored Contributor

The CDC recommends getting vaccinated as soon as the shot comes out. Many people wait because they think the vaccine won't last the season. I would act according to what the CDC says. Don't wait.

Honored Contributor

There have been confirmed cases already in Atlanta. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The local radio station has a cold & flu tracker for our county, right now the flu is low & that's normal....for some reason it's always the highest at the very end of the season & that's why getting my shot in mid to late Oct works best for me.

Honored Contributor

I was holding out until I saw when then Senior Center would be having the clinic next month, they only do it in October and the schedule isn't up yet but I'm starting to rethink that now.

We have our daughters wedding the first weekend of November so maybe we should just go to the pharmacy and get it over and done with now.

Honored Contributor

My pharmacist told me we got the shot at the best time. We got it a couple of weeks ago,remember it takes 2 weeks to be fully in effect, to protect you

Respected Contributor

i know lots of kids have gotten colds and some with flu-like symptoms, just after the start of school. MI weather has been hot and humid and i think that plays a part in spreading the colds/flu.