Respected Contributor

Re: Has the flu (or other viral schtuff) hit your area yet?

Not enough to make the local news here. I don't know about you, but when I get "advance" symptoms, it's usually a cold. When I get the flu, it just hits me suddenly.

Honored Contributor

Sinus and allergies are behind the majority of issues here in southern WV. However, one of the teachers aides who works with my teacher daughter, had strep two weeks ago. As soon as my daughter started feeling sick, she went straight to Med Express to nip it in the bud.
Super Contributor

Yes. DH has been very sick recently. He is never sick! Smiley Sad Started with cold-like symptoms. Then headache, sore throat, fever, coughing, chills and stomach issues. He is feeling much better and is back to work. I have been working really hard to keep everything clean, disinfected, and aired out. I have been fighting it all week. I started taking the zinc lozenges and extra vitamin C, liquids, etc. I just took a long nap and feel a bit better. Our DD said there are a lot of kids out sick at her school. PCP said there is a nasty stomach bug, Strep, and a virus with "flu-like" symptoms going around. We are in middle TN. My BF said her family has been sick in the last few weeks, and they are outside of Atlanta.

Honored Contributor

Nothing more than the usual sore throats and stuffy noses for this time of year.

Honored Contributor

It's only November, too early to see a significant number of flu cases. Flu usually strikes hardest in Dec, Jan, Feb. Assuming that the flu hits hard anywhere this year. Some years, it's awful. Some years (like last year) it's fairly light. No way to predict, time will tell. However, just from what I hear as I am out and about; it seems like most people are taking advanage of the flu shots. And that's a very good thing because they protect themselves but they also protect people who didn't get a flu shot. As for your common cold and your upper resp infections and your bronchitis....well....there are no shots to protect your from that stuff.

Super Contributor

I don't know about here, but I felt like I was getting the flu last night and all day today. And I just had a flu shot a few weeks ago, so I don't think it's the flu. So I don't know what it is. Can you get the flu even if you have had the flu shot? I hope not. Maybe it is just a cold. I woke up all stuffy and feeling bad.

Valued Contributor

I know ""misery loves company"". I am going on my second week of feeling just ""not right"". I have a temp of only 99.2 or not even 98. I just do not feel myself. Last week I did have some nausea. I have no appetite. That in itself is frightening. I do not have a stuffy head or a sore throat. I just do not feel ""right"". This scares me a bit. I am even a RN. I am beginning to obsess every minute if I am feeling ""better"". So this is it for me. I live in central Massachusetts.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/7/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I don't know about here, but I felt like I was getting the flu last night and all day today. And I just had a flu shot a few weeks ago, so I don't think it's the flu. So I don't know what it is. Can you get the flu even if you have had the flu shot? I hope not. Maybe it is just a cold. I woke up all stuffy and feeling bad.

Probably NOT the flu but yes, you can get the flu even if you get the shot. They prepare each year's vaccine based on their best estimates of what kind of flu will strike but I guess they can't cover them all or they may still mutate, etc. Lots of scientific calculating I think. But the shot should help protect you from MOST strains.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

Oh, I think it takes up to a couple of weeks for the shot to become fully effective so you can also "catch" the flu during that time if you are exposed. After a couple of weeks you should be protected from the strains that the vaccine was developed for.

KJPA