Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has one of your feet ever felt as though it was in a vice?

@Mom2Dogs, I agree with you.  Stuff happens.  I used to hit the foot of my bed frame all the time when I was making the bed.  It was hidden by the bed skirt.  Got a new bed...love it, no feet near the edges!  LM

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@AuntMame@Kachina624, DH bought steel toed shoes for me after I broke the metatarsal in my left foot (#3, then #4) twice.  I have Keen.  Love them and use them for any heavy duty yard work.

Mine are Keen too. Love 'em. Got 'em on sale on 6pm.com for $50. I also wear them for yard work. 

Sounds like lots of folks here have bashed their feet on their beds. I did. Walking barefoot in the bedroom in the dark at night. My podiatrist said that's a common foot injury and in fact it's happened to her too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone!

This is a valid question and not meant to be funny.

If you have experienced this feeling in a foot, which was not caused by a crush injury, compound fracture, an auto immune disease/disorder or allergic reaction, I'd appreciate hearing the reason for the vice-like and extremely painful feeling (8 on the pain scale of 0 to 10).

My situation:  rapidly walking into the bedroom, bashed my right foot into the master bed foot board three times in a 4.5 month period, sustaining various injuries to this poor right foot, which never really healed from the first injury, which was the worst.

The third bash into the bed occurred this past Monday, 1/7, and fractured the 4th and 5th toes (proximal phalanxes) of yet again the right foot.  Buddy taped them lightly and saw my foot doc on Wednesday.  He provided the advice I expected and said, "See me in a month."

Two days later, yesterday-Friday, I woke up 3.25 hours after falling asleep with sudden onset of #8 pain in that foot.  Additionally, there was new swelling and and I not now weight bear on the right foot.  All day Saturday I actually sat in my recliner and cried, the pain was that bad.  Finally made it to the ER around 5:30, after my husband person completed a project he was working on.  Another story.

ER ruled out clot(s) with an ultrasound and compartment syndrome.  Infection was also ruled out.  Was given pain med, but nothing to take home.

Question:  Have any of you ever experienced a "closed" foot injury the pain of which felt as though your foot had been placed in a vice on the top and bottom of your foot?  If so, would you care to share?  Since the ER docs were stumped and I do see my foot doc on Monday p.m., I'd appreciate knowing of your situation.

Thanks so much.

@sfnative

I'm afraid I don't understand your situation.  It seems if you have had several injuries to your right foot and have several broken bones in that foot, you would be in excruciating pain by now.  Didn't the foot doctor or ER staff members treat you for broken bones--put you in a cast, give you crutches, have you put ice on the foot, have you keep the foot elevated, give you a RX for pain medication, etc??  Maybe I misread your post.

@fortune

Hi fortune,

When turned into my issue at the ER was that they had experienced the arrival of many ambulances continually during the day and into the evening.  These patients were triaged to the top of the list.  My foot went to the bottom of the list.  I was seen by a Nurse Practioner and RN.  To tell you the truth, I don't know that they honestly believed what I told them.

1.  Prior to leaving, I had to ASK for crutches, as I could not put any weight on it at all, nor can I still.

2.  Due to #1 is why they did not place a plaster cast on my foot.  This is rarely done under the circumstances such as I had.  I started out with a great knee-high boot, but can't wear it now, as I cannot place any weight on the foot that would go into the boot.  I'm now in a wheel chair.

3.  Pain Meds:  While I was there, they gave me 15mg of oxycodone, which is one of the few pain pills I can take, due to allergies.  **The worst part of all is that when they entered this into the system, it knocked this "drug contract" out of my records with my PCP, as well as another drug I take per my nephrologist.  Unbelievable!!  So, now I have this incredibly painful foot and ankle and not one pain pill and live in a state where there is no way for me to get even one.

4.  If you come into an ER with an ortho injury, you're pretty much considered a nuisance, unless it's a compound fracture, spiral fracture, multiple fracture, joint trauma etc.  My problem was that pain in the foot and ankle at level 8 just doesn't count for anything.  They did, however, rule out compartment syndrome and clots, both of which are important to rule out.

No, you didn't mis-read my post at all.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I have painful neuropathy in feet and hands due to CIDP.  Pretty sure you don’t have that - thankfully.

However, I get some relief sleeping with my feet elevated.

Know you want to know WHAT it is and get it FIXED, but thought this just might help in the interim.

Best to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

4.  If you come into an ER with an ortho injury, you're pretty much considered a nuisance...

Now ain't that the truth? I've taken a limping DH into the urgent care clinic a couple times. You have to beg to get them to do an X-ray. And they never want to "prescribe" crutches or a cane even though he's been unable to walk on his own and they're sending him home with a boot. What is it with these people? We've vowed to never again bother to go to an ER or urgent care clinic with a foot injury unless a toe has been severed. Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

@sfnative

What did your podiatrist say yesterday?

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone!

If you have experienced this feeling in a foot, which was not caused by a crush injury, compound fracture, an auto immune disease/disorder or allergic reaction, I'd appreciate hearing the reason for the vice-like and extremely painful feeling (8 on the pain scale of 0 to 10).

My situation:  rapidly walking into the bedroom, bashed my right foot into the master bed foot board three times in a 4.5 month period, sustaining various injuries to this poor right foot, which never really healed from the first injury, which was the worst.

The third bash into the bed occurred this past Monday, 1/7, and fractured the 4th and 5th toes (proximal phalanxes) of yet again the right foot.  Buddy taped them lightly and saw my foot doc on Wednesday.  He provided the advice I expected and said, "See me in a month."

Two days later, yesterday-Friday, I woke up 3.25 hours after falling asleep with sudden onset of #8 pain in that foot.  Additionally, there was new swelling and and I not now weight bear on the right foot.  All day Saturday I actually sat in my recliner and cried, the pain was that bad.  Finally made it to the ER around 5:30, after my husband person completed a project he was working on.  Another story.

ER ruled out clot(s) with an ultrasound and compartment syndrome.  Infection was also ruled out.  Was given pain med, but nothing to take home.

Question:  Have any of you ever experienced a "closed" foot injury the pain of which felt as though your foot had been placed in a vice on the top and bottom of your foot?  If so, would you care to share?  Since the ER docs were stumped and I do see my foot doc on Monday p.m., I'd appreciate knowing of your situation.

Thanks so much.

@sfnative

I'm afraid I don't understand your situation.  It seems if you have had several injuries to your right foot and have several broken bones in that foot, you would be in excruciating pain by now.  Didn't the foot doctor or ER staff members treat you for broken bones--put you in a cast, give you crutches, have you put ice on the foot, have you keep the foot elevated, give you a RX for pain medication, etc??  Maybe I misread your post.

@fortune

Hi fortune,

When turned into my issue at the ER was that they had experienced the arrival of many ambulances continually during the day and into the evening.  These patients were triaged to the top of the list.  My foot went to the bottom of the list.  I was seen by a Nurse Practioner and RN.  To tell you the truth, I don't know that they honestly believed what I told them.

1.  Prior to leaving, I had to ASK for crutches, as I could not put any weight on it at all, nor can I still.

2.  Due to #1 is why they did not place a plaster cast on my foot.  This is rarely done under the circumstances such as I had.  I started out with a great knee-high boot, but can't wear it now, as I cannot place any weight on the foot that would go into the boot.  I'm now in a wheel chair.

3.  Pain Meds:  While I was there, they gave me 15mg of oxycodone, which is one of the few pain pills I can take, due to allergies.  **The worst part of all is that when they entered this into the system, it knocked this "drug contract" out of my records with my PCP, as well as another drug I take per my nephrologist.  Unbelievable!!  So, now I have this incredibly painful foot and ankle and not one pain pill and live in a state where there is no way for me to get even one.

4.  If you come into an ER with an ortho injury, you're pretty much considered a nuisance, unless it's a compound fracture, spiral fracture, multiple fracture, joint trauma etc.  My problem was that pain in the foot and ankle at level 8 just doesn't count for anything.  They did, however, rule out compartment syndrome and clots, both of which are important to rule out.

No, you didn't mis-read my post at all.

@sfnative

My advice is to get an appointment with an orthopedic doctor.  Tell them you need to see them immediately, as you have broken bones in your foot!  Don't take "no" for an answer.  If they won't see you immediately, go to another ortho doctor who will see you immediately!!  You have to be your own advocate in your health care.  Be nice, but be firm!!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

OP here. 

Found it necessary to step back while things unfolded regarding both my right foot and right hand and wrist.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time and thought to share experiences and offer advice.  Here's where I am as of today, January 22nd.

1.  Ortho Foot & Ankle:  This doc a waste of time.  She brought a scribe into the exam room with her, examined my foot and rattled off ancient Meroitic, for all I knew, and I know doc-talk.  She stated I'm recovering from a talus avulsion fracture (late August-knew that), several other points, of which I had knowledge.  When I asked specific questions pertaining to atypical swelling and pain patterns, she indicated, "It takes nerves a long time to heal."  What?  So, I asked the same question again, got the same answer.  Clearly, the woman didn't know how to answer me.  She should have known, but was incapable of that action.  Will not see her again.  Huge waste of time.

2.  Podiatrist:  Then saw podiatrist with good rep.  More films.  Yes, fracture of small right toe, proximal phalanx and lesser fracture nearly same location in the 4th toe same side, plus this toe also jammed into its neighboring metatarsal (long foot bone), so both bones bruised.  He left things there, with me in a boot. 

Then a week ago Friday in the middle of the night I awoke with the awful pain of which I wrote (middle of the night severe pain typical of gout attack).  Returned to this podiatrist on the following Monday, which was a week ago yesterday.  He wanted to take more x-rays, I said no, ER did, look at theirs.  I've been exposed to too much ionizing radiation since May 2018.  So he notices I'm not in a boot any longer, but one of my husband's athletic socks.  I remove the sock.  He said, "Your foot has swollen quite a bit since I saw you last week."   This was followed by conversation, after which he said my problem was delayed reaction to trauma..  I asked him if he would consider including in labs he was going to order, ones for uric acid and SED rate for gout.  Bottom line:  I receive only part of the lab results.  Did not receive the uric acid and SED rate.

Bear with me...

3.  Hand Surgeon:  Sustained at least a moderate sprain of wrist and hand (cumulative) day after Thanksgiving.  Saw hand surgeon January 16th, due to a need to reschedule.  In course of conversation, he asked why I was in a wheel chair (couldn't use crutches due to hand/wrist injury).  Told him difficulty in obtaining diagnosis on top of 3 injuries within 4.25 months.  He said, "I'm going to test you for gout."  He called me 2 days later: "You have gout"  Your uric acid and SED rates are elevated.  Get in touch with your PCP.  I'll make sure we fax lab results to her."

4.  PCP:  PCP is viewing labs ordered by podiatrist (not hand surgeon), some of which I've not seen.  Keeping in mind that labs vary according to their "low normals and high normals," my PCP indicated that I do not have gout, per the lab that processed the draws by order from my podiatrist. 

From my vantage point, regardless of PCP conclusion, I'm going forward with a food plan that focuses on less purines (a need to lower uric acid levels).  Why go to this extent?  My new hand surgeon is the best in this entire area and the ortho/neurosurgery practice has a 4 star out of 4 stars rating.  Plus, I appreciate the fact that he went ahead with those 2 labs re my foot, even though I was there for my wrist and hand.  *He didn't have to do that, nor even ask why I was in a wheel chair.  I know that may sound simplistic, but it's quite meaningful.

Lastly, to those who may think I have cognitive issues because I've blasted my right foot 3 times into the foot of the same bed within a short period of time, I would say "No."  Here's the deal:  Fairly small master bedroom.  Added a child's bed for granddaughter.  This left only 17" for me to pass through on the left side to get to my dresser, which also has a radio on top. 17" is nothing!  Kindly note that for years I worked in hospitals, walking with a purposeful gait, not just ambling.  Since retiring, I've not been able to give up that purposeful gait.  Three docs have told me, "You've got to get rid of that nurse's walk."  What's happening is that I'm headed to the dresser in that faster gait, must turn around the corner of the bed and Wham!  I've hit my foot twice going around that corner and once straight on, having come at it from the master bath.

Clearly I need a new bed.  Husband refuses to allow us to pay for one.  (Due to dreadful snoring, he sleeps in a different room.)  If I place foam on the corners, my entry space will be decreased to perhaps 14."  However, this is the rout I plan to take.

Thanks, again, for all of your caring comments.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@sfnative

What did your podiatrist say yesterday?

@lulu1

Please see the post made today, Tuesday, which will answer this question.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much.

@sfnative  I used Sports-Gel on two sprained ankles which pain was excruciating so that I couldn't sleep and needed a crutch to walk, and it relieved the pain so much that I was then able to sleep.  It took months for it to heal and the swelling and bruising to go.