Honored Contributor

Has anyone used a therapist (counselor) to help them lose weight?

My issue is I have no will power. I feel there must be a reason I can't do this so a therapist may be the solution. I also wonder if my insurance would pay for it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone used a therapist (counselor) to help them lose weight?

I know my Plan would not cover it. Weight Management is excluded, however we do cover any gastro type surgery. We will consider counseling for bulimia , but not our weight problems....go figure, right.
Honored Contributor

I have a medicare advantage plan so if medicare would cover it then my ins has to also cover it. I will have to call the CS # and ask. I plan to discuss this with my doctor and see what he thinks. I am not at all interested in any kind of surgical procedures - just something to help me understand why I have no will power.

Honored Contributor

Yes by all means, pay for surgical intervention but not mental health that makes so much sense. Even crazier when you consider the surgery is astronomically more expensive, risky, permanently mutilates the body in many cases and doesn't do a thing for why people may be over eating.

ok rant off. sorry I couldn't help myself, pet peeve

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Is your ""willpower"" problem only with specific foods?

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you stopped eating according to how they taught you in your YMCA class last spring? Have you tried getting back to that? It seemed to work well for you then.

Honored Contributor

You're a sensible person whose willpower isn't what it should be in this one area. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe if you set a reasonable goal over the next year, you will slowly get there. If someone weighs 180 and wanted to lose 10%, I think they could easily get down to 162 within a year.

Contributor

I will put my two cents in here since 21 years ago at age 45 I had the same problem. I was 5'2" weighed 220 lbs! Today I weigh 120. I must have lost and gained 70 lbs. 3 times in 25 years, but at age 45 it caught up with me. I had extremely high blood pressure and couldn't take any of the drugs given due to allergies. Since heart problems run in our family and blood pressure as well I knew I had to diet or die.

I went to the AF clinic was given a low fat, no sugar, low carb diet to follow on my own, they don't offer any other help. It was trial and error for month,reading labels, and the hardest thing of all learning to eat breakfast! The doctor was right in telling me I would not be hungry until noon if I did. In six months time I lost 40 lbs., then it took me another year to lose the rest. I was in no hurry,I knew I would look really bad if I lost it too fast.

At the six month mark I really started to think about how I got here, and figured out it was how I reacted to all the control that my husbands career had over our lives and felt I had none, since all the change of stations were never in my control, as well as all the adjusting for all of us in the family. A light bulb went off in my head, and from that day on it was so much easier to stay on the diet.

I started going to the pantry and refrigerator and realized I could choose anything I wanted to eat, so what was my choice going to be? You see it was my choice in choosing the right or wrong foods and MY choice how I was going to react to life's circumtances, no one else can do that but me.

Sorry to be so long winded on this. Today I follow a good diet, Sunday is my day off, and I walk and do Pilates. A whole work opened up to me and I am here to enjoy it. It must come from within.

Honored Contributor

What a great caf in va, really enlightening.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Some dietitians are better than therapists when it comes to weight issues. It is tricky finding the right one however. Ironically when I had a weight problem years ago that was a result of a medication I couldn't convince the dietitian I was sent to that I wasn't an "emotional" eater. It turned out that the head dietitian in the group wrote one of the first bestsellers about women and food issues.

I asked to see her and she just laughed. But, she was VERY helpful. Because I'd never put weight on no matter what I ate previously I had no concept of satiation. I kept eating after I was full. I couldn't do that anymore on the med I was on and some of the weight came off immediately. Then I bit the bullet and went to WW. I needed the structure and also it's very difficult when on certain meds.

Insurance is more likely to cover a dietitian, especially if you are over the BMI (body mass index. )Inquire and when you get a referral make it clear you are an "emotional eater." You might luck out. My late husband found someone perfect for him; it was covered.