Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone taken Red Rice Yeast and had side effects?

I have been taking red yeast rice and flush free niacin for years every day.  Bloodwork is always good. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take berberine supps to control my LDL and my blood sugar. Works really well. My numbers are perfect. I'm 63. I was on Lovastatin (contains same active as RYR) before that and it made my A1C go up so I decided to look for something else...the berberine works for me now.

@SilleeMee  I take Berberine too...how much do you ake of it a day?

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I think Red Rice Yeast is a Plant Sterol. Do you think Andrew Lessman's Cholestra Care has Red Rice Yeast in it? 

RYR is definitely NOT a plant sterol. Lessmans product is a plant sterol, I take Puritans Pride Cholest Wise, also a plant sterol, but contains several other ingredients that Lessmans does not, making it much more comprehensive. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt 

I had muscle issues after a couple of years on statins. Red yeast rice is a statin, too, so it was not a good choice for me. On the recommendation of my pharmacist, I started taking two  puritan’s pride “double strength  phytosterol complex” softgels daily, plus psyllium husks (6 500mg capsules). My cholesterol has gone down two years in a row. I am religious about taking these. No side effects so far. My doctor had me wrote down what I was taking so he cd suggest it to others to try. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take berberine supps to control my LDL and my blood sugar. Works really well. My numbers are perfect. I'm 63. I was on Lovastatin (contains same active as RYR) before that and it made my A1C go up so I decided to look for something else...the berberine works for me now.

I take one 500mg cap with a meal. I eat three meals a day so that would be 1500mg total for the day. But sometimes I only take two caps in a day. Just depends what I eat. @SeaMaiden 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@conlt 

I had muscle issues after a couple of years on statins. Red yeast rice is a statin, too, so it was not a good choice for me. On the recommendation of my pharmacist, I started taking two  puritan’s pride “double strength  phytosterol complex” softgels daily, plus psyllium husks (6 500mg capsules). My cholesterol has gone down two years in a row. I am religious about taking these. No side effects so far. My doctor had me wrote down what I was taking so he cd suggest it to others to try. 

I take 3 Puritans Cholest Wise with my breakfast or lunch and 2 Double Strength Phytosterols with my dinner daily. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take one 500mg cap with a meal. I eat three meals a day so that would be 1500mg total for the day. But sometimes I only take two caps in a day. Just depends what I eat. @SeaMaiden 

@SilleeMee   I also take one cap with each meal.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

How many mg are in each one of your berberine caps?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

How many mg are in each one of your berberine caps?

@SilleeMee  Also 500 MG

Respected Contributor

Well today is my second day off of RRY and I feel better. I am not having aching in my legs and feet. Even the swelling is much better. I may go with Lessmans cholestacare and see how that effects me.