Respected Contributor

Has anyone taken Red Rice Yeast and had side effects?

Sorry, I just looked at my original post and I don't know how i managed to type that funky heading, I must have been 1/2 asleep. I started taking Red Rice Yeast on the advice of my ARNP. Since then I have not felt so well and my feet have been swelling. I stopped taking it today to see if I improve. My feet are still swollen, but not as sore, and I feel like I have more energy. I was just wondering if anyone took this product and experienced side effects. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone taken Red Rice Yeast and had side effects?

I’ve taken it for quite a while with no side effects. 

Honored Contributor

Halo—- yes, I am taking red yeast rice for high cholesterol. Can’t take the normal statins as I have major side effects after a few months. This supplement can cause the same type of side effects too. I am taking 2 caps a day for a month, then will take 4 a day. After 3 months I will have labs done to see how my lipids are. Sounds like you need to call your dr about the side effects you are having. I also take co q 10 and vit d3 too.

Honored Contributor

You need  to stop taking it and check with your Dr . It can cause kidney damage. Your feet swelling doesn't sound good

Esteemed Contributor

One statin is actually based on red yeast, but it safer to use since the strength is standardized.  Supplements are not so well regulated.  Check with the doctor, it should be safer to just take a statin.

Honored Contributor

You can have the exact same side effects from Red Yeast Rice as you can get from statins including muscle loss.  All statins are not created equal, so if you can't take one, maybe your doctor can try a different one.  For me Crestor made me feel awful.  Changed over to generic Simvastatin and no problems whatsoever.  And at least statins are standardized formulas.  Not sure you can get that with Red Yeast Rice.

Honored Contributor

I've taken all the statins with the very same results---bad side effects. Crestor worked great on my numbers but did horrible things to my achilles tendons. Was taking Niaspan that worked very well for me but now the flushing is terribly painful. thinking that since I had chemo, taking these  meds and the side effects seem amplified. not sure what the red yeast rice will do but so far, so good. 

Honored Contributor

Remember that RYR is a moderate from of a statin, I will not take it. I take a plant sterol formula from Puritans Pride for the last 14 years, excellent product. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take berberine supps to control my LDL and my blood sugar. Works really well. My numbers are perfect. I'm 63. I was on Lovastatin (contains same active as RYR) before that and it made my A1C go up so I decided to look for something else...the berberine works for me now.

Respected Contributor

I think Red Rice Yeast is a Plant Sterol. Do you think Andrew Lessman's Cholestra Care has Red Rice Yeast in it?