Valued Contributor

Has anyone read the Plant Paradox?

Started reading it today and it's so different from anything I've read. All about lectins in food.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone read the Plant Paradox?

[ Edited ]

Yep, I have.

About a month ago, there was a thread posted here about the same topic.

I’ll post the same opinion:

“I’m not vegetarian but Plant Based.

The lectin angle is just another Low Carb diet recarnated.

Cooked beans are the cornerstone of many cultures thoroughout

the World throughout generations.  The vitamins/minerals/fiber

are an important part of prevention/reversal of heart disease,

diabetes, cancers, obesity, etc...it’s stunning to see someone to

promote NOT eating them...makes one think ‘WhatAreYouThinking??’

On his ‘no’ list, he calls potatoes a ‘refined’ food. Huh?

It’s really not a mystery of what is good for us. 

A plant based whole food diet, low in fat, is the diet the

longest living people have been eating for 1,000s & 1,000s of years.  

All the info is out there to guide us, free of charge.

Dr. Michael Greger (nutritionfacts.org) did several videos

(all on YouTube) about lectin & the Plant Paradox, specifically.  

Here is the transcript of that particular video.”

https://youtu.be/7NT4q_5dfLs

05174C99-5188-475C-AF03-1CBF973EB9FC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

" Lectins are not only present in plant foods; they are ubiquitous in ... There is one lectin known to cause temporary gastrointestinal distress in humans, ... But this does not mean that lectins are harmful for the general population."...Dr. Fuhrman

There is a lot of confusion regarding lectins....depends on who you are reading and believing.  Take a look at Dr. Greger on You Tube.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the Plant Paradox cookbook, he does NOT say don't eat beans.  What he explains is that they are made more digestible once they are pressure-cooked.

On a related note, if anyone is interested, Amy's Kitchen pressure-cooks their beans in the can.  Anyone can contact any company that offers beans to find out whether that company does the same.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

In the Plant Paradox cookbook, he does NOT say don't eat beans.  What he explains is that they are made more digestible once they are pressure-cooked.

That’s interesting.

His book, published 04/2017, said beans were not allowed.

Today, his cookbook, published 04/2018, is starting to 

change direction to say beans are OK...only a year later. 

What’s it going to be next year? Depends on what’s trending.

Valued Contributor

Just want to say no one’s ‘eating plan’ is perfect for everyone. Some expert’s advise may appeal to some, but not all. Different strokes, as they say. We, as adults, are more than capable of deciding what works for us and what doesn’t. Beans? No beans? etc. I’ll gather all the facts and decide FOR MYSELF. (Also, how much, if anything, I am willing to spend on supplements. I’ll decide!) For me, personally, I do very well following a low carb plan. (I love sweets! So, not considering them a food group is best FOR ME. 🤐) I love hearing success stories. And seeing a VERY slimmed down Kelly Clarkson peaked my interest as to what “clicked” for her. (She has said over and over, weight is not the issue. Feeling healthier is.) Kelly followed The Plant Paradox. Like I said earlier.......different strokes. 😊

Valued Contributor

Appreciate the replies. The diet is very restrictive and when he says a month after being on the people one person for example was totally off all of her meds, I find that so hard to believe. I"m just so much on the fence. I've read good reviews from people who have done the plan and reviews from other Dr's that just rip it apart. I would sure like to see a review from someone on here for example that was on the plan and I knew wasn't being paid to give a positive review.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Appreciate the replies. The diet is very restrictive and when he says a month after being on the people one person for example was totally off all of her meds, I find that so hard to believe. I"m just so much on the fence. I've read good reviews from people who have done the plan and reviews from other Dr's that just rip it apart. I would sure like to see a review from someone on here for example that was on the plan and I knew wasn't being paid to give a positive review.

@Nadine

Out of curiousity, why are uou r.e.a.l.l.y wanting to find a

positive response?  You can throw a stick & hit a dozen low-carb type

of diets...including this one.  Why is this one being singled out?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Nadine wrote:

@Nadine

Out of curiousity, why are uou r.e.a.l.l.y wanting to find a

positive response?  You can throw a stick & hit a dozen low-carb type

of diets...including this one.  Why is this one being singled out?

@Nadine

I was wondering the same thing.  The eating plans available now are innumerable and often even overlap. 

It really doesn't matter what works for someone else, you will do better finding what works for you depending on your goal:  weight loss, living more comfortably with an auto-immune condition, respect for animals, etc.  

Whatever your goal is, start there.

@sidsmom

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

I say we SUPPORT each other on our journeys to get healthier, no matter what plan we follow. No judging, or questioning “WHY”, no picking apart other posters, and  most of all, NO BASHING one plan/Dr. over another!! I’d love to here everyone’s success stories and how they accomplished their goal, whatever that may be. Far more positive and productive. Have a wonderful weekend everybody🌷🌸🌷