Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone posted recently about the Thyroid replacement recall?

@skatting44 wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD 

If you are having difficulty  regulating your TSH , T3, T4 levels , than you may ask your Endocrinologist  abt prescribing the brand name Synthroid  . Many Endocrinologists  that I have worked with prefer Synthroyid from Abbott Labs. They specifically write DAW draw as written to prevent pharmacies substituting the generics . There were recalls in 2017  of  2 generic thyroid medications that were manufactured in China. 

I took RadioActive Iodine about 25 years ago, and it worked partially but I still have some Thyroid functioning.

When I first took the RAI, I took a couple types of synthetic hormone, but it never worked as well for me as Armour. 

This recent problem was a little tough to get through, but I'm now back to my Armour, and I'm settled on the fact that any other little gripe or groan I have is probably Covid related.

I think @Mindy D that you must have posted just before I got the official notification from my insurance company that there was a problem. You're always right on top of the recalls!

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

I heard abt the desicated thyroid issue  abt 20 or 25  years ago . There was also a class action lawsuit  many yrs ago  .

Most Endocrinologists  specifically write  DAW  ( draw as written )  for Synthroid so that pharmacies do not  fill with generic.  Synthroid was manufactured in Canada and  US  " Synthroid is manufactured by AbbVie in the U.S and licensed use by BGP Pharma ULC, a Mylan company, in Canada " . Abbott  Labs  manufacture Synthroid.

There were recalls and issues with  Levothyroxine and Liothyroxine  that were  manufactured in China in 2017 .

As I am figuring out, I was told when I began taking it that Armour Thyroid had NO generic. Because of that, the thought never occurred to me to check what I was receiving.

Another mistake I don't plan to make again.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44   I work very closely with my Endo/Dr. With her help, my T3 & T4 levels are exactly where they should be and maintaining.

Esteemed Contributor

About 15 years ago, I took the radioactive capsule to kill my thyroid.  In the meantime, the Endo put me on Tapazole (which I call the "happy" pill.  I don't know why LOL) and after a couple of months, she said my thyroid was now gone.  She put me on Levoxyl and I remember it was taken off the market at the time so they put me on Levothyroxine.  My Pharmacist is very good about using the same drug company.  He told me there are 3 drugs they never change.  They are Thyroid, Anti-seizure and Blood thinners....  They make sure those three always come from the same drug company.

From the beginning of  my taking the "Levo" he makes sure he gets it from Mylan and I check the bottles every time I refill them.  This is goingon for all these years and my dose has never changed.  In fact, from the beginning, my Cardio said "you don't have to go back to her, I can adjust your dose" and he did.

I take 50 mcg on Monday and Friday and 75 mcg the rest of the week.  I have never had any side effects, weight gain or loss or anything like that.  My labs are done at least 3x a year and no problems.  

Honored Contributor

I had to have my thyroid removed a few years ago.

The last time I had it checked it was functioning low.  So he raised it to 175.

But my body is still having a difficult time adjusting.  I'm often freezing when home.

I go back in a week and get everything checked (5 vials of blood) yet again.

The vitamin D is always low.  I take it every day but the only thing that brings it up is prescription vitamin D.  I used to take it but he wants to see if I can bring it up on my own.

My daughter has 1/2 of her thyroid.  She takes thyroid pills too.  She's been told she will eventually have  the other 1/2 removed.

When she had the first 1/2 removed, the mass was the size of an orange.

Weird...because it wasn't sticking out at all. She went hiking a few weeks after and said she felt amazing.  She's very athletic, so I knew she'd notice immediately.

Shes training to run another race for charity.  Going to be interesting to see how she does.

She fell skiing 2 years ago and broke her knee so bad it tore the muscle and skin from the bone.

She was lucky (I guess) because she was in Vale.  They rushed her to the small hospital and the Dr who operated was the same one who operates on the Olympic people.

She lives in Denver so she went to see her regular orthopedic doctor (yes, so many boo boos she has a regular one) and he said the repair was amazing by the Vale Dr.

Recently, it was bothering her on a ski trip and she followed up with the first Dr.  All is well.

My insurance company want me to use generic thyroid pills but my Dr says "no way", so I had to pay for them.

Anyone else encounter this?  It's worth the money to get the Synthroid kind.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - The GENERIC for Armour (which I hadn't thought existed), was part of my original problem. 

At least now I sort of know that post Covid syndrome is at least PART of my problem in the last 6 months or so, but the incorrect prescription appears to have been the other part.

I'm now back on the same amount of Thyroid replacement, but the correct company.

Even the pills themselves were different. I wish I'd known better earlier on. I absolutely agree- I'll pay MYSELF before I'll let myself be tricked into anything but Armour again.

Honored Contributor

Yes. First NP Thyroid had a recall because it had too much T3. The last recall was because it did not have enough in it.

I figured it out as I kept getting tired. 

I called Walgreen's which told me my refill was not included in the recall. They said I would receive a letter if it is. I did receive a letter after I talked to Walgreen's. They still say mine was not included. It was included or I would not have continued to be so tired with no energy. I got another refill & started taking it felt better within days.

I'm sick of paying for my pills only to find out there was a recall & now have to buy another refill. I never received a refund or credit for all the pills I have had to throw away??? My Ins does not pay for them. I pay for them out of pocket.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Look into that card that lists the cost of every drugstore in your area.

I could have gotten them cheaper but I like my medicine to come from one place.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Nightowlz  Look into that card that lists the cost of every drugstore in your area.

I could have gotten them cheaper but I like my medicine to come from one place.

@Annabellethecat66 

I know the price varies from pharmacy to pharmacy. I was getting it filled at Wal-Mart until they wanted over $300 for a 90 day supply. Walgreen's filled the same 90 script for $111.