Respected Contributor

Has anyone here had Morton's Neuroma?

If so, how was it diagnosed and what treatment did you receive? Thank you in advance for your input. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here had Morton's Neuroma?

Hi @panda1234,

I had it and went to a wonderful podiatrist. He did take an xray to make sure nothing was broken but could tell really from examination.

It was years ago and he gave me cortisone shots that took away that awful pain. Now I know drs don't give as many cortisone shots but I was grateful to have them. I think this went on for about a year.

Now if it occasionally gets painful, it is usually because I have been walking on hard floors. I always try to wear soft shoes or slippers to prevent or help it.

It can be so so painful I know!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I've had a few. Back in the 80's, I had surgery for one.  Now they only do surgery very very rarely.

Now they do a series of injections of alcohol and water.  It breaks up the neuroma.  It can take anywhere from 2 shots up to like 12 or so to get it taken care of,  Mine was stubborn and took 11 shots. Just as we were getting ready to give up, it worked.  And then it was gone.

Injections were really no big deal at all.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Hi @panda1234,

I had it and went to a wonderful podiatrist. He did take an xray to make sure nothing was broken but could tell really from examination.

It was years ago and he gave me cortisone shots that took away that awful pain. Now I know drs don't give as many cortisone shots but I was grateful to have them. I think this went on for about a year.

Now if it occasionally gets painful, it is usually because I have been walking on hard floors. I always try to wear soft shoes or slippers to prevent or help it.

It can be so so painful I know!

@on the bay  Thank you for your response. I wanted to tell you about some soft shoes I love. Clarks makes a Cloudstepper flip flop that is like walking on a mattress. They are about $50 but well worth it.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I've had a few. Back in the 80's, I had surgery for one.  Now they only do surgery very very rarely.

Now they do a series of injections of alcohol and water.  It breaks up the neuroma.  It can take anywhere from 2 shots up to like 12 or so to get it taken care of,  Mine was stubborn and took 11 shots. Just as we were getting ready to give up, it worked.  And then it was gone.

@gidgetgh  How did the doctor determine what it was?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gidgetgh  How did the doctor determine what it was?

@panda1234 -he took X-rays of my foot first, but that didn't show anything if I remember correctly.  I described to him what I was feeling and based on that and his exam that's what he said I had.  As I said, I'd had one back in the 80's so when it happened again, I knew exactly what it was. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 You may want to investigate SAS shoes. They are the most comfortable, durable shoe you will ever wear. Don't let the price scare you away. They are leather and made in the USA. Any foot condition or fit problem will benefit from them. I have many issues with my feet. Both my husband and I wear nothing else. My favorite style is "Dream." SAS shoes has a website. I wish you quick healing and much success in your treatment. When your feet hurt, everything hurts.

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

@panda1234 You may want to investigate SAS shoes. They are the most comfortable, durable shoe you will ever wear. Don't let the price scare you away. They are leather and made in the USA. Any foot condition or fit problem will benefit from them. I have many issues with my feet. Both my husband and I wear nothing else. My favorite style is "Dream." SAS shoes has a website. I wish you quick healing and much success in your treatment. When your feet hurt, everything hurts.

@On It No truer words were spoken, everything hurts when your feet hurt. I will checkout SAS, thank you.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 

No experience with that one. Did however meet many distance runners that dealt with it. They said it was painful. The serious runners went to a Sports Med Podiatrist and they were able to keep running. Painfully, but that never stopped serious runners as long as it was just pain, not making an injury worse.

I had several bouts with Plantar Fasciitis over the years. Once on both feet, but like a true(?)runner, I kept running and skating. Iced them down on my lunch breaks at work(job mostly walking at the time), and many more times at home. Took months to get better, probably less if I was a normal person. 😎

Hope you get the best of treatments and as little pain as possible. Best yo you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had a Morton's neuroma about 3 years ago and my podiatrist diagnosed it by physical examination.  I had the alcohol injections and it required several to get results. I actually had 2 neuromas on the same foot. A Morton's neuroma and a neuroma on the adjacent toe.  The symptioms included lots of pain in the ball of my foot and I let it go on until I couldn't walk.  The injections were in the top of my foot and were uncomfortable but not extremely painful.  Doctor said it's interesting to him that someone like me (I think he meant "old") would say the injections weren't so bad but a young person would hold onto the exam table and cry and make lots of noise.    I was just relieved that he wasn't going to inject the bottom of my foot!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.