Honored Contributor

Has anyone here ever had surgery for nasal polyps?

My youngest daughter has them bad. She suffers every day. Doc is recommending surgery, but she is afraid. I googled it, there is not always a satisfactory outcome.

Just wondering if anyone here has undergone this surgery and is satisfied with the results.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone here ever had surgery for nasal polyps?

My mom had them and I remember she had to have the procedure a few times. She has passed away so I can't tell you more. But she did feel better after each time she had it done.

Trusted Contributor

My neighbor (about age 35) had it done and, while he was quite miserable during the first couple of weeks of the recovery process, he said he is very glad he decided to have the surgery.

Frequent Contributor

My husband had surgery for nasal polyps. He had them in both nostrils. The same day surgery was a success, recovery not too difficult. His breathing is so much better!
Super Contributor

Hi Ford!

I've had it done..twice! The first time was in the 80's. OMG, painful! Back in the day they stuffed the sinuses with gauze and the doc taking it out was like a magic trick, it just kept on comin! The scraping of the gauze against the raw insides was horrendous.

Now, in the late 90's I had to have it done again. The surgery/recovery was like night and day. Hardly any pain and instead of stuffing gauze throughout the sinuses, I had only one cotton roll in each nostril. (like the ones the dentists use).

I can only imagine with today's technology it would now be a cake walk.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll tell my daughter what you have all said. She still wants to wait and see . . . but she knows eventually she will have to do it, especially if they get bigger. (FATCAT, this is my youngest, a different daughter than the one who has Lyme).

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Daughter had it done. She is fine. She did have complications to the medicine used but it was short lived. She was 30 when it was done, it that helps.

Valued Contributor

Does your daughter want to continue suffering, because it doesn't get better. I went over 2 years before I had the surgery back in the last 70s and I wish I hadn't waited so long. The recovery is uncomfortable and longer than you think it should be, but I can breathe and I don't have sinus infections or headaches any more. Oh and my sense of smell returned, which in some cases wasn't so pleasing!

Honored Contributor

The BIL of one of my closest friends has had 3 procedures, and numerous polyps removed in the last 10 years.
Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Ford1224 said:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll tell my daughter what you have all said. She still wants to wait and see . . . but she knows eventually she will have to do it, especially if they get bigger. (FATCAT, this is my youngest, a different daughter than the one who has Lyme).

Hi :-)

I would encourage her to have it done if she gets a lot of sinus infections and headaches. I used to feel like I had an elephant sitting on my face when I'd wake up in the morning, having the surgery was so worth it. I also had deviated septum and had that fixed as well.