Valued Contributor

Has anyone had surgery for a SLAP tear in the shoulder?

Hi.  I'm going in for surgical repair of the labrum in my left shoulder on Tuesday.  I will be in a sling for 6 weeks post-op.  Has anyone had this surgery? If so, what tips can you give me for my recovery?

I was told to sleep in a recliner, but my 2 dogs would be all over me.  So, I went on Amazon and purchased a 12 inch high foam wedge pillow for my head and an 8 inch foam bolster for under my knees.  Hoping that this will simulate the recliner while allowing me time away from the puppers.

My husband will be off for the bulk of the next 2 weeks to assist me with showering, getting dressed, etc.  Let's hope we don't kill each other, as one of us is left-brained and the other is right-brained, and do things quite differently.

I appreciate any tips.  Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had surgery for a SLAP tear in the shoulder?

Never heard of such surgery.  I wonder why the recliner?  Anyway hope you and dh make a speedy recovery.  This sounds like a question for John (hckynut).

@hckynut 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I too never heard of this surgery. Good luck you and I wish you a speedy recovery. 

Respected Contributor

My best friend had rotator cuff surgery last year, but the recovery sounds similar. Her daughter’s a teacher and was able to care for her for a week or so after her surgery, which was same day surgery. They found that a bath seat was very helpful in the shower. Our group of friends took turns taking dinner to her and her husband (who’s in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease) until she was able to get back to cooking. We also ran errands for them, as needed. If possible, maybe you could ask some of your friends to come over periodically to give your husband a break. 

Respected Contributor

This past Oct and Jan I had left and right rotator cuff,

bicep, tendon and labrum tears. 

The biggest issue for me was not being able to lay on my sides. A comfortable chair is a must.

Very Loose clothing, 

Dominant arm is a more difficult recovery.

Overall there is some pain, but for me being unable to do anything—driving, cleaning even holding a book was worse.

Good Luck.

Esteemed Contributor

recliner keeps you from rolling over in your sleep and putting body weight onto the joint

@Kachina624 

Respected Contributor

Had this surgery in 2006. Recovery is very slow. I didn’t sleep in a recliner though. A pillow under the affected shoulder kept me from rolling on it.  SLAP stands for Sub Labrum Anterior and Posterior. Basically, they are reattaching the labrum to the shoulder socket joint.

i told my surgeon that i should have much bigger scars for as much pain as I had. 

Woman LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

Oh and there isn’t a spoiler, I hit the wrong button 

Esteemed Contributor

@pepes mom 

The recliner's to keep you from rolling into your shoulder. Also, if you rolled into your right shoulder, gravity in that position could re-damage the repair to the left.

Between now and surgery, practice wedging body pillows along your sides in the bed to mimic the restrictions of a recliner. (A real pain when you have to get up to use the bathroom!)

Esteemed Contributor

@pepes mom - I had rotator cuff surgery. Couldn't use the recliner as it was too hard to get in & out of. I slept in the corner crook of the couch for a long time.

Is this your dominate arm? If so, start doing things with your other arm: brushing teeth, eating, etc.

Don't try and wear regular slacks with buttons/zippers, get yourself easy pull up type pants and larger t-shirts - 

I did not require my hubby to be home for that long - he was only home a couple of days.

Hopefully, they will offer you a "block" so your arm will be numb for several hours. If you are sitting on the couch, have a pillow handy to put under your arm.

This is pretty much the easy part - PT is a whole different game. Good Luck - Riley1