Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone had surgery for a SLAP tear in the shoulder?

[ Edited ]

@pepes mom 

See if you can pull up my Thread on my Rotator cuff surgery from about 9 months ago.  Tons of good tips and information there.  Mine was my right shoulder.  I still have a bit of pain, but I do have full mobility finally after 9 months.  It is a long recovery!!  One really good tip is to tear up a roll of toilet paper, as it is hard to do with only one hand!!! LOL  

Respected Contributor

I had surgery on my dominant left shoulder.  I was told to sleep in a recliner for just a couple days.  Then my husband put pillows under my back and shoulder to prop me up while sleeping in bed.  When I had to go to the restroom he had to wake up and help lift me out of bed and then push the pillows back under me when I laid down.  But I had to start therapy only a couple days after surgery.  That was painful but it is the most important thing to keep up with for the good of the shoulder.  Now I can do anything with that shoulder the same as the other.  I had a great therapist.  The hardest part for me was to learn to write my name righthanded for the time being.  Just make sure you keep up with your therapy and you will be fine.  God bless.

Honored Contributor

@pepes mom How did everything go with the surgical repair in your left shoulder? Hope all is well. Heart

Valued Contributor

Hello everyone! Thank you all for your responses.

I had my arthroscopic surgery last Tuesday as an outpatient. Everything went well.

I received a nerve block pre-operatively. They gave some meds IV before the doctor did the block. (I laughed because I go for epidural steroid injections into my neck and low back a few times a year without any calming medications.) I was told that it would work for 8 to 24 hours. Mine lasted 26 hours. I had oral meds in me so the pain didn't go from zero to 10 in minutes.

Surgery was done in an elevated beach chair type table.  Scooting over was a hoot.  My surgical arm was totally dead, IV in the other and happy meds on board.  Felt like it took an hour to scoot over.

My DH was told my surgery would last an hour.  It lasted 2 hours.  They found 2 types of SLAP tears, a bone spur and a torn rotator cuff.  I guess I always have to be the patient who goes the extra mile and has more wrong with her than originally thought.

Recovery room was great.  Since I had the block, I felt nothing.  They applied a cryo cuff to my shoulder.  That is a type of ice pack that is strapped onto the patient and gets filled with ice water to decrease inflammation.  I love that little gizmo.  I have that and the abduction sling to use at home.

I do not like the sling.  It interferes with everything.  Pulling undies up after using the bathroom is a big challenge. I have to wear the sling at all times except for showering for a total of 6 weeks.

Having my husband here has been a big help.  I am more independent than the doctors led us to believe. Its the little things like getting out of bed, changing clothes or showering/shaving that he has been most helpful with. He even learned how to expel the proper amount of Lovenox from the syringes before my injections.  Lovenox is a blood thinner that needed to be given every 12 hours until I was able to resume coumadin and get to a therapeutic level. I did all but 1 injection myself. My neighbor did the injection when I came home. No, DH didnt do any injections. He was grossed out.

Our dogs have also been great.  The bouncy one has been extra cautious with me.  He has followed me everywhere.  I think he is checking on me.

I ordered 2 wedge foam bolsters from amazon that keep me propped up in bed. It is more comfortable to sleep propped up vs flat.

I am still having pain, but that is to be expected. I use the cryo cuff multiple times a day and take pain meds every 8 to 12 hours. Other than that darned sling, everything is going well. 

Hope all of you are doing well.

Super Contributor

How did you manage to wash and dry your hair... That can be a challenge if you need to go out and take care of yourself...

Valued Contributor

I am able to wash my hair with one hand.  Shaving my arms, not so much. DH is trying to help me.  Ha ha ha.  He has to dry me off.

As for hair drying...he has held the hair dryer as I tried to style my hair.  That turned out to be a joke.  I wore a baseball hat that day.

If I know that I don't have to go anywhere, I use my good hand to hold the hair dryer.  My hair will go into loose curls.  That said, I need a hair cut.

I am ordering a hair dryer stand from Amazon to hold the hair dryer.