Respected Contributor

Has anyone had experience with idiopathic insomnia?

This type of insomnia starts in childhood. It is a result of some type of physical imbalance in the body. My daughter has this and all meds have failed her. Just wondering if anyone could shed light on this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had experience with idiopathic insomnia?

Well, I don't know about that, but all my life, as soon as I could get out of my bed and walk, I have been up and about many nights.  Sometimes most nights.  Sleep has always been a problem for me.

Respected Contributor

I believe idiopathic means without a known cause. I’ve had insomnia my entire life. Nothing works, I just accept it.

I haven’t slept through the night ever that I can remember. Once or twice a year I get 5 hours straight.

My regular sleep pattern is trouble falling asleep for an hour or so and then waking every 2 hours. My total sleep is usually averages 4 hours. On a bad night I get much less.

Good luck to your daughter.

Respected Contributor

@IMW

@Sooner   This is so sad. What most people take for granted, you can't have. Have you been through the sleep meds? My daughter is going crazy with no sleep. 

Valued Contributor

@panda1234

They are selling yellow glasses or amber-colred lens to help with sleep.  I am going to try them when I retire to change my sleep/wake cycle.

Perhaps you can look it up to see if you think they might help your daughter

Blue-blockers...... 

Honored Contributor

I recently read something  that  said  insomnia was tied in with  your gut bacteria..they  seem to be looking at this ,for many things now, including diabetes

Respected Contributor

I have no idea why I sleep so poorly....have tried many things over the yrs...there seems to be no answer to figuring it out.  I am not doing any of the common things that would cause a issue like drinking caffine or warm room and on and on it goes.  I am thinking of asking my doctor if I should do a sleep study.  I woke up so many times last night...1st to go to the bathroom then ear pain or shoulder/arm pain....I flip flop like a fish out of water.  Then at 3:47am I am suddenly very awake and my mind starts thinking about something to do with a friend's situation from 12hrs ago!  Took me until I heard husband's alarm go off 4:30am then sometime after that I fell asleep for a little while....again waking needing to go back to bathroom.  

I feel like I have a new born baby....my 1st son had colic and I haven't sleep right since then come to think of it.  He would NEVER sleep longer then 45mins if that.  All night long for over a yr with him.  My Mom (bless her heart) who had 6 babies said I can handle him over night....she didn't believe me.  When I came to pick him up the next day at 12noon all my parents did was tell me how "this baby NEVER sleeps!" they were a wreck and had tried everything.  I felt bad but I had warned them and fought with her saying you don't get it Mom he doesn't sleep!  I was going to have a tee shirt made for him that said "Sleep.....Is The Enemy!!" LOL  memories....sorry got WAY off track.

I am feeling desperate myself and just can't continue like this.  Has your daughter done a sleep study??  

Respected Contributor

@Elri wrote:

@panda1234

They are selling yellow glasses or amber-colred lens to help with sleep.  I am going to try them when I retire to change my sleep/wake cycle.

Perhaps you can look it up to see if you think they might help your daughter

Blue-blockers...... 

@Elri  thank you, I will look into that. I will try Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I recently read something  that  said  insomnia was tied in with  your gut bacteria..they  seem to be looking at this ,for many things now, including diabetes

@cherry She was tested for diabetes last month, does not have it. As far as gut bacteria, I wonder if a probiotic would help. 

Respected Contributor

@tsavoritewrote:

I have no idea why I sleep so poorly....have tried many things over the yrs...there seems to be no answer to figuring it out.  I am not doing any of the common things that would cause a issue like drinking caffine or warm room and on and on it goes.  I am thinking of asking my doctor if I should do a sleep study.  I woke up so many times last night...1st to go to the bathroom then ear pain or shoulder/arm pain....I flip flop like a fish out of water.  Then at 3:47am I am suddenly very awake and my mind starts thinking about something to do with a friend's situation from 12hrs ago!  Took me until I heard husband's alarm go off 4:30am then sometime after that I fell asleep for a little while....again waking needing to go back to bathroom.  

I feel like I have a new born baby....my 1st son had colic and I haven't sleep right since then come to think of it.  He would NEVER sleep longer then 45mins if that.  All night long for over a yr with him.  My Mom (bless her heart) who had 6 babies said I can handle him over night....she didn't believe me.  When I came to pick him up the next day at 12noon all my parents did was tell me how "this baby NEVER sleeps!" they were a wreck and had tried everything.  I felt bad but I had warned them and fought with her saying you don't get it Mom he doesn't sleep!  I was going to have a tee shirt made for him that said "Sleep.....Is The Enemy!!" LOL  memories....sorry got WAY off track.

I am feeling desperate myself and just can't continue like this.  Has your daughter done a sleep study??  

@tsavorite This sounds like a page out of my life. My sleep is a mess due to her insomnia. She never slept as a baby or could not self sooth. Has your son had a sleep study? How is he today?  My daughter has had three studies over the years, all showing nothing important. Have you tried sleep meds?