Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone had experience with Social Security Disability attorneys?

On 12/22/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 12/22/2014 moonstone dunes said:

If your daughter has medical records to document her depression why doesn't she apply online? She doesn't even need the full record from the doctor; just the practitioner's name(s) and dates of related medical tests, hospital stays. She can list her diagnosis/diagnoses and treatments received and any medications she has taken or is taking. Just a note: look in the SSA "blue book" its is online under medical conditions; Section 14 lists Lyme as part of immune disorders.

She can start the application and save it and go back to it. Work at her own pace. She will need to determine the DATE she became disabled. Very important because that will be the date her benefits retro back to. So [HYPOTHETICALLY] do not put in a date of November 1 because that was the day she saw a lawyer. Determine the date she became disabled. If it was one year ago or 18 months, use that date.

this came directly from a SSA agent - SS does not really consider long term history going back 20 years. They are only concerned with inability to work due to disability in the past 2-3 years. But my .02 is DO include all supporting records anyway. She does not need to submit actual copies from doctors. SSA does this - she just needs to gather her files and use the data on the app.

After applying a package will be mailed from another SS office in TN or KY. There will be paper forms to complete and return to SSA and forms to be forwarded to employers and medical providers (they complete and return them to SS) SSA reviews and medical evals will be scheduled. Some cases require a 3rd party eval by a doctor. SSA is quite prompt once the app begins they send reminders to complete it (the process on their end is done by calendar quarter)

Best wishes to and your daughter for Happy New Year.

typo

My daughter did a lot of research on this. Making the claim online can work for many disabilities and diseases, but it never works for someone who is claiming "chronic Lyme disease." She said she does not have any other diagnosis. The attorney is adept at getting around this (he says) and plans the "CFS/depression" approach. I brought it up to her because so many posters have recommended this approach and found success. "But not for Lyme," my daughter says.

Every single professional has said she is depressed and all of her symptoms are caused by depression. However, again, she is depressed because she is ill. It is not free floating depression and she said she cannot approach it that way, that she will fail because she does not believe it.

I myself would try this approach, but she won't and she is a grown woman, not a child. I can't force her. She gets really angry because she said she would feel as though she was lying and she could not lie before a judge.

Thank you for your suggestion though. It is a valid one.

I understand now, I thought she could use the depression as the main disability and use the immune/Lyme as the 2nd. I feel so badly for her that this chronic illness is overlooked by medical community, it affects all parts of the body. I hope she can be helped by the new doctor and this attorney can help too.

Honored Contributor

My daughter just advised me that she is requesting her file back from the attorney. She spoke to another one of her sisters yesterday who, like me, advised her that she should not hire an attorney she does not like. She is going to look for another attorney.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

well, it is true that you have to connect and have chemistry with an attorney or it will be a stressful relationship.

I don't know her, but I do know that it sounds like filing under depression makes her feel like she is being called 'crazy', yet again.

She has to decide, does she want disability? or does she want to be right? She has been, most likely, treated like her Lyme is 'all in her head', and therefore the label of depression just makes her feel so defeated.

The problem here is, she can beat on her chest and try to get it through on Lyme disease, and wait many more months for what she deserves (money), or she can just wave a white flag and say 'fine, I have so many co-existing conditions, pick one that goes through fast'.

It is the 'depression=mental illness' stigma she is stuck at. Help her through that, if you feel like you want to help. It is a stigma that needs to disappear! Depression is real, and she lives with a chronic illness (Lyme) that has stolen her quality of life. Anyone with chronic illness fights with depression.

She should use her energy to get better, fight the Lyme! Use less energy fighting to get disability under the 'proper condition title'. They are co-existing, stress feeds all of the symptoms.

I feel for her. Lyme is a valid illness.

Respected Contributor

I haven't read all the replies...but I have a close family member who received SSDI less then 90-days after applying at the age of 49..no attorney needed..

That said I know others who had clear cut cases and took 18 months ..one had two strokes. brain surgery and a drop foot..and he won on appeal..he was also 52 and retired and then applied..he was a Correction Officer..and planning on retiring anyway..

I know one person that at 33 got it for a back injury but it took three years due to his age.

I also think the cap on retro right now is $7500..when the family member I know received it..even though they were approved in less then 90-days...they were awarded retro back to the first day of long term disability... The first six months were short term.

I have been told by various attornies and people I work with (mental health) that the closer you are to 50..the harder it is to win right away..

also with Lyme's being what it is..a field that while we all know it out there..the long term prognosis depends..nobody really knows..it changes..I think she will have an uphill battle..but the good thing is ..you can live together during this time and that is a great thought.

You can make I think $1070 a month or around that figure...you can work a few hours a week..I know somebody who just appealed their case and was told that..

I would of attorney shopped for sure but it sounds like she is going to give this guy chance..hopefully it will work out..I thik the attorney was trying to convince her about the depresson as it is much easier to get and well documented with Lyme's..I don't think in reality he was trying to say she didn't have it..but trying to take the easier route on winning quick for them both.

Respected Contributor

LOL I just read your last post..and am glad.. I didn't like that idea either!

Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Hooty said:

I don't know if you realize, the attorney does not get paid if the client does not receive SS Disability! There are specialized attorneys that ONLY do this and they guarantee you to receive it, if not the first time, but they keep trying! You WILL NOT get it without an attorney, I can guarantee it!

My DH is an attorney, he only did a couple of these cases, and it was such a hassle! It is best to go to a specialized attorney that ONLY does this, JMHO!

Not true. I have a very close family member that received it without an attorney..an online application and approval was less then 90-days after application. The only paperwork completed after the applications online was a Consent for Release of Medical Information..three-weeks after that was signed...the family member received a large lump sum in their bank account..and a code..they googled the code and it came up SSA..the letter of approval didn't arrive til two weeks later lol..

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 gabstoomuch said:

well, it is true that you have to connect and have chemistry with an attorney or it will be a stressful relationship.

I don't know her, but I do know that it sounds like filing under depression makes her feel like she is being called 'crazy', yet again.

She has to decide, does she want disability? or does she want to be right? She has been, most likely, treated like her Lyme is 'all in her head', and therefore the label of depression just makes her feel so defeated.

The problem here is, she can beat on her chest and try to get it through on Lyme disease, and wait many more months for what she deserves (money), or she can just wave a white flag and say 'fine, I have so many co-existing conditions, pick one that goes through fast'.

It is the 'depression=mental illness' stigma she is stuck at. Help her through that, if you feel like you want to help. It is a stigma that needs to disappear! Depression is real, and she lives with a chronic illness (Lyme) that has stolen her quality of life. Anyone with chronic illness fights with depression.

She should use her energy to get better, fight the Lyme! Use less energy fighting to get disability under the 'proper condition title'. They are co-existing, stress feeds all of the symptoms.

I feel for her. Lyme is a valid illness.

It is not because of how he's was going to file under what illness. He was very sarcastic and demeaning toward her during the interview, as I described in my OP. She does not like him and does not want to work with him. I feel sure she can find an attorney who, while not filing with a Lyme claim, will not be as harsh on her as this one was.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 12/22/2014 Hooty said:

I don't know if you realize, the attorney does not get paid if the client does not receive SS Disability! There are specialized attorneys that ONLY do this and they guarantee you to receive it, if not the first time, but they keep trying! You WILL NOT get it without an attorney, I can guarantee it!

My DH is an attorney, he only did a couple of these cases, and it was such a hassle! It is best to go to a specialized attorney that ONLY does this, JMHO!

Not true. I have a very close family member that received it without an attorney..an online application and approval was less then 90-days after application. The only paperwork completed after the applications online was a Consent for Release of Medical Information..three-weeks after that was signed...the family member received a large lump sum in their bank account..and a code..they googled the code and it came up SSA..the letter of approval didn't arrive til two weeks later lol..

Did this person file with Lyme as his/her disability? That is the problem. If it was a recognized illness/disease, that makes all the difference in the world.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 CouponQueen said:

LOL I just read your last post..and am glad.. I didn't like that idea either!

When this sister agreed that she shouldn't work with someone who had been that nasty to her, that's when my daughter changed her mind about working with him.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

If your daughter isn't even taking anti-depressants, she is going to find it hard to get disability for depression. I don't even see the point in her filing.

"Every single professional has said she is depressed and all of her symptoms are caused by depression. However, again, she is depressed because she is ill. It is not free floating depression and she said she cannot approach it that way, that she will fail because she does not believe it.

I myself would try this approach, but she won't and she is a grown woman, not a child. I can't force her. She gets really angry because she said she would feel as though she was lying and she could not lie before a judge."

Your daughter needs to get this straightened out before she files, IMHO. She sounds confused and if she files under these conditions, she will be turned down and become even more exasperated. Good luck ~