Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had experience with Social Security Disability attorneys?

On 12/20/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 12/20/2014 gokat said:

I've been through the whole process with an attorney...and had to appeal. The attorney actually only acted as a go-between to SSD, and I was ultimately responsible for the award when I was asked to write a letter to the JUDGE and he approved the case.

Even with an attorney, I had to do all the organizing of my medical records and fill out all the forms...and with my disability that was no easy feat. To be honest, unless your daughter can line up with an attorney that's been successful with her exact diagnosis, I don't see the point.

There's a reason why your daughter's attorney did such a turn-around and kissed her derriere...It's the 25 per cent fee he's charging from what she's initially rewarded!! He can be very friendly now.

If you are in a position to do this on line, I'd recommend it. That was not available to me at the time or I would have. You'll have much better control over what's submitted and know where things stand as they proceed. No one knows her case as she does.

Your daughter is very fortunate to have you and her family supporting her. My heart aches for you all, and I hope you can work through the process together for a timely and positive outcome.

I agree with you so much on this. She is convinced she needs an attorney because "her brain isn't working right," and she tries to limit what I feel I could do for her. Actually she does understand more about her condition than I do. There are so many aspects to Lyme and the other autoimmune issues associated with it, like processes in the body that need to work but are blocked by affected substances in the body that I can't even pronounce, let alone understand. However, as you stated, I don't believe this attorney understands any of it either, and she needs an informed advocate.

I am hoping the Lyme doctor she is scheduled to see in January will be able to formulate a diagnosis for her that will explain what is wrong . . . the problem is he cannot divulge who he is or he could lose his license to practice as an MD. I can't believe that! It boggles my mind! Not allowed to practice something one is expert at that others deny exists because they don't know how to treat it? . . . just does not compute with me!

It is horrifically frustrating.

Having been in a very like position to your daughter (and still am), I know how difficult this is for her. I also feel your frustration. If there is some way that you can work together in organizing what is needed...perhaps her verbalizing and you doing the actual input. She's at the edge of what she can do all the time so adding more seems insurmountable in her mind. Whatever you can get her to hand over is a start and perhaps widen from there. Little steps. It's extremely difficult for someone who's been able to handle her life and responsibilities to be forced to ask for help...especially from those who are close to her...to know she's nowhere near normal and that her mind is "foggy". In the absence of a diagnosis or doctor that is recognized, you'll have to lean hard on her symptoms that don't allow her to work. I know you're being patient, but that patience may need to be maximized, I'm afraid. I wish you the very best and my prayers go out for you and the situation.

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Ford1224 said:

I've been through the whole process with an attorney...and had to appeal. The attorney actually only acted as a go-between to SSD, and I was ultimately responsible for the award when I was asked to write a letter to the JUDGE and he approved the case.

Even with an attorney, I had to do all the organizing of my medical records and fill out all the forms...and with my disability that was no easy feat. To be honest, unless your daughter can line up with an attorney that's been successful with her exact diagnosis, I don't see the point.

There's a reason why your daughter's attorney did such a turn-around and kissed her derriere...It's the 25 per cent fee he's charging from what she's initially rewarded!! He can be very friendly now.

If you are in a position to do this on line, I'd recommend it. That was not available to me at the time or I would have. You'll have much better control over what's submitted and know where things stand as they proceed. No one knows her case as she does.

Your daughter is very fortunate to have you and her family supporting her. My heart aches for you all, and I hope you can work through the process together for a timely and positive outcome.

I agree with you so much on this. She is convinced she needs an attorney because "her brain isn't working right," and she tries to limit what I feel I could do for her. Actually she does understand more about her condition than I do. There are so many aspects to Lyme and the other autoimmune issues associated with it, like processes in the body that need to work but are blocked by affected substances in the body that I can't even pronounce, let alone understand. However, as you stated, I don't believe this attorney understands any of it either, and she needs an informed advocate.

I am hoping the Lyme doctor she is scheduled to see in January will be able to formulate a diagnosis for her that will explain what is wrong . . . the problem is he cannot divulge who he is or he could lose his license to practice as an MD. I can't believe that! It boggles my mind! Not allowed to practice something one is expert at that others deny exists because they don't know how to treat it? . . . just does not compute with me!

It is horrifically frustrating.

Having been in a very like position to your daughter (and still am), I know how difficult this is for her. I also feel your frustration. If there is some way that you can work together in organizing what is needed...perhaps her verbalizing and you doing the actual input. She's at the edge of what she can do all the time so adding more seems insurmountable in her mind. Whatever you can get her to hand over is a start and perhaps widen from there. Little steps. It's extremely difficult for someone who's been able to handle her life and responsibilities to be forced to ask for help...especially from those who are close to her...to know she's nowhere near normal and that her mind is "foggy". I know you're being patient, but that patience may need to be maximized, I'm afraid. I wish you the very best and my prayers go out for you and the situation.

Thanks so much for your understanding and good wishes. I believe she is putting everything on hold until she sees this doctor in January. She is exhausted right now and needs to rest. In the meantime, I will be doing more research on the SSDI application and what information is going to be needed and perhaps then I can talk her into us handling it ourselves online.

I myself have RA, hypothyroidism, Sjogrens, and severe osteoporosis with now, eleven compressed vertebrae in my back, one still in the healing process. One autoimmune disease easily leads to other issues. And stomach issues that I am overdue in addressing. But I am 76, soon to be 77 and have lived a nice long life. I want that for my kids, like all mothers.

I don't know what illnesses you are going through, but I wish you the very best also. Thank you again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Frankly, I believe we are in an epidemic of autoimmune illnesses, mostly borne by women, and no one knows why

I absolutely agree! I too have Sjorens and Hashimoto's Disease, plus very bad anemia and asthma. I never feel well and get depressed from it. So hard to work full time in a demanding career and not be well.

Ford, I just remembered we did most of the forms on line, and only needed a lawyer when the SSDI case was denied. Your daughter may not need a lawyer, and as others have said here, if she does, he will take a fee. The forms are very time consuming, as you can imagine and I would make sure you double check everything before you submit them or before your daughter does.

I am praying and hoping your daughter does not get denied SSDI, so she won't have to appeal it. Please keep us informed on her progress and health.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Jova said:

Frankly, I believe we are in an epidemic of autoimmune illnesses, mostly borne by women, and no one knows why

I absolutely agree! I too have Sjorens and Hashimoto's Disease, plus very bad anemia and asthma. I never feel well and get depressed from it. So hard to work full time in a demanding career and not be well.

Ford, I just remembered we did most of the forms on line, and only needed a lawyer when the SSDI case was denied. Your daughter may not need a lawyer, and as others have said here, if she does, he will take a fee. The forms are very time consuming, as you can imagine and I would make sure you double check everything before you submit them or before your daughter does.

I am praying and hoping your daughter does not get denied SSDI, so she won't have to appeal it. Please keep us informed on her progress and health.

I'm going to call her about this. I always have to feel her out before I start talking because many times she just wants to rest. If she's up to it, I'm going to bring this up. I do not like this attorney at all from the way she described he treated her in his office. IMO, he's an a**hole (pardon me) and she shouldn't let him talk her into his what I believe will be ineffectual representation. I think she did it because of her severe exhaustion.

I will keep you all informed. If any of you have the time (which I doubt, LOL) or the inclination, just google something like "doctors who treat chronic Lyme Disease can lose their licenses" or something similar. It brings up many articles about what is being called "The Lyme War."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I was able to get it without an attorney on the first try. I have a chronic illness that has some similarities to Lyme disease. It isn't as difficult as it used to be to get SSD. Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I think the attorney is trying to tell your daughter she is going to have a long row to hoe if the doctors and the CDC say this disease does not exist. Lawyers generally do not take on a client who will not win as they don't get paid unless she does win. Has she seen a psychologist or other mental health professional , because she does sound like she is suffering from depression.

Oh yeah - just saying - I seriously doubt the lawyer "literally, kissed her butt" - gross exaggeration does not make you sound very plausible.

Respected Contributor

Having chronic Lyme Disease for 10 years and going through the SSD process was a nightmare. I know I did it for 4 1/2 years and got denied through every appeal and this was with an attorney. I did file on my own at first. We did re-file for the second time and I finally won but was not entitled to back pay since it was a new case. I had a very mean women judge that was unbearable. I am on my own and could not have done it without an attorney. They know different ends and outs that you wouldn't know plus she would drive me to court when needed. I did not go with a big firm. The paperwork is so much. I had everything documented so well with all my doctors on my side, but their doctors are a whole different story. What a joke that was! 10 minutes with one and 5 hours with a mental doctor who said I was making everything up.

I would be more than happy to discuss this with you or your daughter if you want to. I will never get well and I have so many other diseases because of Lyme.

It is better to files asap because that's the date they will go back to if you win. They don't want you to work for a year and in my state they prefer that you were over 55. The closer to 62 the better.

It is not an easy disease to win because a lot of people don't understand it or believe in it. Luckily I had an Infectious Disease Dr. that tested me and knew exactly what I had but none of that mattered with the judge and the other doctors she had at court. The MD doctor said there was so such thing as Lyme and all I had to do was get out and exercise and I would be well.

I remember when I filed at SSD and the girl said I have never heard of that reason for filing.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 happy housewife said:

I think the attorney is trying to tell your daughter she is going to have a long row to hoe if the doctors and the CDC say this disease does not exist. Lawyers generally do not take on a client who will not win as they don't get paid unless she does win. Has she seen a psychologist or other mental health professional , because she does sound like she is suffering from depression.

Oh yeah - just saying - I seriously doubt the lawyer "literally, kissed her butt" - gross exaggeration does not make you sound very plausible.

I don't need you here HH, go criticize someone else for word semantics. I'm not in the mood for you today (or any day). I will not respond to you further.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 luvmyteddy said:

Having chronic Lyme Disease for 10 years and going through the SSD process was a nightmare. I know I did it for 4 1/2 years and got denied through every appeal and this was with an attorney. I did file on my own at first. We did re-file for the second time and I finally won but was not entitled to back pay since it was a new case. I had a very mean women judge that was unbearable. I am on my own and could not have done it without an attorney. They know different ends and outs that you wouldn't know plus she would drive me to court when needed. I did not go with a big firm. The paperwork is so much. I had everything documented so well with all my doctors on my side, but their doctors are a whole different story. What a joke that was! 10 minutes with one and 5 hours with a mental doctor who said I was making everything up.

I would be more than happy to discuss this with you or your daughter if you want to. I will never get well and I have so many other diseases because of Lyme.

It is better to files asap because that's the date they will go back to if you win. They don't want you to work for a year and in my state they prefer that you were over 55. The closer to 62 the better.

It is not an easy disease to win because a lot of people don't understand it or believe in it. Luckily I had an Infectious Disease Dr. that tested me and knew exactly what I had but none of that mattered with the judge and the other doctors she had at court. The MD doctor said there was so such thing as Lyme and all I had to do was get out and exercise and I would be well.

I remember when I filed at SSD and the girl said I have never heard of that reason for filing.

Thank you luvmyteddy. Quite an eye opener. Thanks for the heads up as to what she is in for.

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

There is A LOT of misinformation here as there always is whenever there is a Social Security discussion. I worked for SSA for 12 years and here's what I can tell you:

1. For SSA purposes, the definition of disability is that it has to be expected to last for at least one year or end in death.

2. You have to have worked ON THE BOOKS for 5 years out of the 10 before you became disabled to be insured for SSDI benefits unless you are very young.

3. A person's age and education is taken into consideration. That's why 2 people with the exact same condition may have different decisions made. As a rule, the less skilled/less educated you are and the older that you are, the more chance there is that you will be approved.

4. Benefits are NOT always retroactive. It depends on when you file and when the onset of your disability is determined to be.

5. You are only sent to an SSA doctor if your records are unattainable or there isn't enough info to make a decision.

6. You can be approved for SSDI based on a COMBINATION of disabilities.

7. Social Security laws and rules are VERY complicated. Don't rely on anyone else's info or experiences. EACH case is different.

HTH!