Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had experience with Social Security Disability attorneys?

My friend/coworker, Mary, was diagnosed with Lupus in the 90's... I know for a fact she was denied a handicap placard.. sorry to say my friend passed away in 96.. it was different back then I reckon- it was sad seeing her drag her 02 tank and working or coming from the parking deck. and yes people drive and use ole dead Grandma or Grandpa's vehicle with the placard- misuse out the whaz! If I see a car parked in a handicap space without a placard or license plate with DP on it, I leave a note. People just don't give a hoot anymore..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Mindy D said:

Binder and Binder. They are the experts in this area. They have grown very large, so you will call an 800 number as a first step. They get results. Some of the sickest people get turned down. I have two very sick friends who were helped. I thought Lyme was a recognized disease. I am shocked to read the post that says it is not.

It is recognized only as a temporary reaction to a tick bite. If you discover it right away, a three-week antibiotic course can "cure" it. I put quotes around "cure" because it actually can linger in someone's body for many, many years, as it obviously has with my daughter.

It is NOT recognized as a chronic disease by the medical community, the CDC, AMA, infectious disease doctors, regular MDs, or . . . most of all, insurance companies. However, more and more information is coming out that it IS a chronic disease, so there's hope. We just have to hope that treatment and insurance will become available in time to save my daughter, and the way things work in the medical "business," that is probably not likely. They are using whatever research money they get to try to find a "vaccine," not a treatment or a cure. Vaccines are far more profitable than treatments and would be too late for her, as she has already had it for many years.

ETA: I have been trying to push her to contact Binder and Binder, but she's reluctant because they advertise on TV. I think she may wind up with them though when she gets her file back from this other guy. She sent him a certified letter requesting her information. Hopefully, she will not have a problem with him returning her information promptly.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

In my state the handicap placards are marked with the recipient's initials and drivers license number, so it is risky to use if it is not intended for you.
Respected Contributor

This JMO but, if you HAVE to advertise on television, maybe you are not all that good. Kind of like mass production in law....I would shy away and go with a recommended attorney.

Again, it's just my thoughts and I have a brother and a nephew who are attorneys and they just shrug and laugh when they see the commercials.

Super Contributor

Obviously, the guy handled it poorly but bottom line: does she want SSD money or not?

If yes, then it should be documented as one of the qualifying conditions. My bff wanted SSDI so she could afford to divorce her latest husband, buy a new home, etc. She had migraines and depression, but the disability claim at that time would only go thru on the depression diagnosis. That made her soooooo mad....she kept insisting it was the migraines that kept her from working, etc. but finally the lawyer and I convinced her that regardless her own opinion, bottom line was claim it due to depression and get on with her life. She did, it went thru lickety split, and she got that divorce, her beautiful new home, and is now back with her ex-husband whenever she feels like it, and in her own home when she doesn't.

Here's the list:

Musculoskeletal System

Special Senses and Speech

Respiratory System

Cardiovascular System

Digestive System

Genitourinary Disorders

Hematological Disorders

Skin Disorders

Endocrine Disorders

Congenital Disorders that Affect Multiple Body Systems

Neurological

Mental Disorders

Malignant Neoplastic Diseases

Immune System Disorders

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Macy said:
On 12/27/2014 Peachysue said:

<br /> Ford, I wish for your daughter the very best!!! Dang that makes me mad what you guys are going through and can't get any help.. Hugs to you!!!!

Ford, one of the girls I worked with many years ago hade Lupus and cystic fibrosis- she worked nearly everyday, dragging her O2 tank yet the state of Georgia wouldn't issue her a handicap placard! Nada/nil/nothing!! How awful is that? So with a lot of complaining to our security department at the hospital, they graciously allowed her to park in a handicap space.. I mean there is so much unfairness towards people that are truly in need... Yeppers people that know how to work the system, it will all come back to haunt them one way or the other..

now call me confused. The state has nothing to do with issuing a handicap card. A doctor writes a script with your diagnosis on it and signs a form from the DMV stating you can't walk more than 200 ft without sitting down and they issue you the card. It is not the clerk's job to question whether you need one or not. The doctor has written the script and the DMV honors it. I question how many people "steal" grandma's hangtag when she passes away since I see able bodied young people jump out of trucks and sprint into stores.

ETA: sorry, I see someone else brought this up already. As for the person who talked about your daughter working 30 years, don't any of you receive annual statements from Social Security with your earnings and points you have accumulated over a lifetime? That statement clearly tells you what you would receive at 62, 65, and what you would get in disability benefits. that last number is usually more than your SS benefits when you retire which is why many people today try to scam the government into collecting disability. I posted earlier about what the government looks for in medical records to assist them in making a decision. I guess that post fell by the wayside. IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT IS IN THE MEDICAL RECORDS REGARDLESS OF ATTORNEYS OR NOT, THEY CANNOT FALSIFY WHAT IS WRITTEN BY DOCTORS.

If you are receiving SSDI , and become of age for SS, your pay reverts to your SS amount.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Zoologist said:

My bff wanted SSDI so she could afford to divorce her latest husband, buy a new home, etc. She had migraines and depression, but the disability claim at that time would only go thru on the depression diagnosis. That made her soooooo mad....she kept insisting it was the migraines that kept her from working, etc. but finally the lawyer and I convinced her that regardless her own opinion, bottom line was claim it due to depression and get on with her life. She did, it went thru lickety split, and she got that divorce, her beautiful new home, and is now back with her ex-husband whenever she feels like it, and in her own home when she doesn't.

Isn't this a wonderful country we live in?

What a fine, upstanding best friend you have. Hopefully she will have her disability review in 12 months and she'll be disqualified.

Disability is never granted for a lifetime. There are reviews of your condition.

Respected Contributor

To get a handicap placard in the state of Illinois, you bring a printed form from the DMV. There are a few questions regarding the disability whether it be neurological, orthopedic, cardiac/pulmonary. If the applicant uses any assisted devices for ambulation.

The doctor signs it and he has to put his license on it.

One particular mall in our area has a security officer that drives around the parking lot just looking for abusers, especially around holiday time.

DH was automatically issued one when he was on dialysis. However, after he had his kidney transplant, his renal doctor told him he did not need it any more. DH was thrilled to get rid of it and said he thanked the Lord he was able to get back a normal life.

Respected Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Snowpuppy said:
On 12/28/2014 Zoologist said:

My bff wanted SSDI so she could afford to divorce her latest husband, buy a new home, etc. She had migraines and depression, but the disability claim at that time would only go thru on the depression diagnosis. That made her soooooo mad....she kept insisting it was the migraines that kept her from working, etc. but finally the lawyer and I convinced her that regardless her own opinion, bottom line was claim it due to depression and get on with her life. She did, it went thru lickety split, and she got that divorce, her beautiful new home, and is now back with her ex-husband whenever she feels like it, and in her own home when she doesn't.

Isn't this a wonderful country we live in?

What a fine, upstanding best friend you have. Hopefully she will have her disability review in 12 months and she'll be disqualified.

Disability is never granted for a lifetime. There are reviews of your condition.

I worked many years for an orthopedic surgeon. I could tell you stories of how people felt they were "entitled" to everything from housekeeping services to house calls, mounds of paperwork to fill out. I could not get over the amount of people who had bought all their worldly possessions on credit and needed paperwork filled out to get their bills paid. It got to the point we needed to start charging to fill out forms as it took a few hours daily to fill out paperwork.

We once had a guy drop off a tape and told the doctor to watch: it was AMAZING! A union electrician who claimed he had not recovered from his leg injury was followed and taped. He picked up his mother and took her grocery shopping, throwing his crutches in the trunk of his car along with the groceries! Then he changed a flat tire...you get the drift

Unfortunately, many in our office became suspicious when we took on W/C cases. Of course, the majority of them were legit and those people were the ones who barely asked for anything other than to heal and get back to work. The loud, obnoxious demanding patients were the ones trying to get over.

Esteemed Contributor

Gooday, it sounds like you hear the stories.

In this day & age many women still either want a check from a man or a check from the gov't.

I'm just amazed in her post that her BFF was able to afford a new home on the little that SSD pays. What happens to that mortgage if the review isn't in her favor?

OMG.....she'll have to get a job. Or find another man.