Respected Contributor

Has anyone had a fractured Metarsil??

I fractured my 5th Metatarsil (the bone beneath the small toe) on my left foot. Treated at Urgent Care and will see a Orthopedist this week. I have very little pain but lot's of bruising. I f you have had this injury, what was your treatment and recovery? Thanks!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a fractured Metarsil??

Yes, I had that same thing a year ago. I had to wear a special Velcro shoe for 6 weeks. I was allowed to put weight on it as tolerated. 

Frequent Contributor

Fractured  mine 4 years ago. Foot  Dr. wrapped it  with ace bandage and put me in Velcro shoe. Took about 8 weeks to feel good. Dr. said it takes a year for the bone to really heal. Sometimes if I’m on my feet all day It can ache a little.

Honored Contributor

I had it bilateral, at different times in life.  Not life-threatening and easily forgotten in a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

I fractured my 5th Metatarsil (the bone beneath the small toe) on my left foot. Treated at Urgent Care and will see a Orthopedist this week. I have very little pain but lot's of bruising. I f you have had this injury, what was your treatment and recovery? Thanks!

@ellaphant   I don't mean to make light of what you have said and you are obviously in distress.  It goes away quickly.  You apparently are young and it will quit hurting in a few weeks which may seem a lifetime but when you are as old as I am, the metatarsals and tarsometatarsal injuries seem minimal compared to the hips and knees.  Old age ain't no fun, honey.  I hope you heal very quiclkly.  Stay off it and only weight-bear when absolutely necessary and as you feel you can do so safely.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant , I broke the third metatarsal one year and wore the boot for ten weeks.  Almost to the day, a year later, I broke the fourth metatarsal.

The second break, I wore the boot for ten weeks but my foot still hurt so I was referred to the Ortho clinic where they put me in a cast up to my knee for five weeks.  The Ortho surgeon didn’t think much of the boot.  Total rest is the preferred treatment which is hard when you are still walking on it in a boot.

You should know that it is not unusual to suffer a second break after the first.  A friend told me that and I didn’t believe it until it happened to me.  My advice to you is to rest the foot as much as you are able and baby it after you are out of the boot.

I started swimming laps for exercise after I got out of the cast instead of walking.  That was a silver lining for me.  I have kept the swimming up and it is wonderful as a low/no impact exercise.

Good luck with your recovery.  LM

Honored Contributor

People say it's not big deal but I'll give you the worse case scenario.

A family member kicked his bedpost by accident and knew he broke the middle toe.

Like most people say, there's not much you can do, so he didn't.

But the pain would never go away.

He ultimately developed an infection in the bone at the break & lost his toe.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but do get treatment & all follow ups.

You'll be fine.

@ellaphant 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I broke my 3rd metatarsil and my 5th metatarsil in 2 places a few years ago.  I was in a cast up to my knee for what was supposed to be 8 weeks.  I begged him to take the cast off and let me have a boot for the last 2 weeks. 

My doctor said those bones take the longest to heal for some reason. 

After the cast came off, my foot felt fine.  It was not a pleasant experience by any means.  I had cast claustrophobia. 

Respected Contributor

Several years ago I fractured my 3rd and 4th metatarsil bones. I had a cast put on from my knee down and it was on Valentine's Day that year. (LOL)

Esteemed Contributor

I sure have.  Was put in a boot for 6 weeks and then they found it didn’t meet right so they had to surgery and put me in a cast.  Be sure they get it right the first time.