Valued Contributor

Has anyone experienced fluid on the knees?

Diagnosed two weeks ago.  Doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory.  No better.  Not one bit.  Still severe pain.  Severely limited ROM in knees.  Can barely and very slowly walk.  Is it too early to call doctor and say this isn't working?

What was your remedy and cure?

TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced fluid on the knees?

Only once. Hyper extended 1 knee and it swelled. Like really swollen. 

Had to have the knee drained by a dr using a needle. Really painful but necessary. Bandaged and immobilized for I think 10-14 days.

You could try wrapping it with an ace bandage or a Tommy Copper type of compression wrap for a couple of days. 

Respected Contributor

@Maggie Nolia  How did this happen?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maggie Nolia, yes. OMG so painful couldn't bend knee. Didn't notice until I looked down at L knee that it had swollen like a cantaloupe. I had been too busy caring for husband and working as a nurse at a clinic to notice. Finally had it looked at urgent care, saw ortho within a day and had it drained. Not too painful but what a relief. it is osteoarthritis in both knees, need a partial left knee replacement due to bone on bone which I'm holding off. Retired to care and rest. Yes call back, did they do xrays, MRI, diagnostics? Rx meds just a bandaid depends what findings are?

Valued Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Only once. Hyper extended 1 knee and it swelled. Like really swollen. 

Had to have the knee drained by a dr using a needle. Really painful but necessary. Bandaged and immobilized for I think 10-14 days.

You could try wrapping it with an ace bandage or a Tommy Copper type of compression wrap for a couple of days. 

This anti-inflammatory routine is just delaying the inevitable, I suspect.  I don't know why doctor decided on it.  Waste of time, IMO.  And since it's both my knees, protracted treatment since they'll probably have to do one at a time.  I'm not handling this well.  I'm not a good patient

Valued Contributor

@Faceplacegirl wrote:

Maggie Nolia, yes. OMG so painful couldn't bend knee. Didn't notice until I looked down at L knee that it had swollen like a cantaloupe. I had been too busy caring for husband and working as a nurse at a clinic to notice. Finally had it looked at urgent care, saw ortho within a day and had it drained. Not too painful but what a relief. it is osteoarthritis in both knees, need a partial left knee replacement due to bone on bone which I'm holding off. Retired to care and rest. Yes call back, did they do xrays, MRI, diagnostics? Rx meds just a bandaid depends what findings are?

Yes, orthopedist, multiple xrays, diagnosis fluid on knees.

Valued Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Maggie Nolia  How did this happen?

Thought I had pulled a leg muscle as result of multiple trips up and down stairs which I was unaccustomed to.  After pain didn't go away and, in fact, increased, and woke up one morning unable to bend knees, went to ortho who says fluid of knees is related to that injury/event.

Honored Contributor

my ex has had this.

he used to go in to have it drained at the doctors office (orthopedist.)

he would have to have it done several times within several months.

it would eventually get better with medication and draining.

it then became a more persistent problem and he eventually had to have it taken care of in the hospital. the doctor opened up the area, drained, and "cleaned out," and some sample was taken to make sure there was no serious infection.

he had the same experience in his elbow also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Had a miniscus tear and a simple surgery.  It does gather  fluid . 

The chiropractor does several quick adjustments and everything feels better.  I also purchased a stationary bike which is expensive but it is a great piece of equipment for helping both knees.

Respected Contributor

Md drained knee with a turkey blaster type syringe--

great immediate relief, not a cure though. Fluid returns 

unless underlying condition is treated successfully.

Having it drained didn't hurt much at all, no recovery 

time.

Good luck