Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced a UTI after using fabric softener?

@Deanie wrote:

I just started using fabric softener. I had not done so before. I have developed symptoms of a UTI without the accompanying bacterial issues. While not going into any more symptoms so as not to get this thread poofed, I wonder has anyone else had this happen?  I did look up the possibility on the Internet and it is amazing how many chemicals are contained in these sheets and in the liquid. I had previously only used white vinegar. I am now going back to that. Oh, and I started my self on a low dose of Bactrim.

I avoid fabric softener like the plague..AND the dryer sheets! I use Nellie's, I think the white vinegar is a great idea! Woman Happy

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Fabric softener has been number one on my avoid list since I was in my 20's and living in an apartment building with community washers/dryers.

Two times, someone had left a fabric softener sheet in a dryer that I hadn't noticed.

I soon became covered with huge hives.  Both times I had to see a dermatologist, and got  huge doses of antihistamine Benadryl.  Enough drug to make me pass out, sleep forever and not go to work for a few days.

There are so many chemicals in those sheets...I learned about it when I was a caregiver..swtiched all their washing products to non scented and hypoallergenic~  

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

I use Country Save Laundry Detergent, all natural and unscented. Works great and everything comes out so soft. They have it on Amazon and I see it in some stores too. 

Frequent Contributor

Since childhood I get UTI's. My medicine cabinet is loaded with Azo products and cranberry vitamins. Fabric softener can do it, cheap toilet paper, bubble bath, Lemonade"???? " and soups can set it off. My friend says she drinks pure cranberry juice after sex. I have good luck with vitamins and juice. I would just line dry a few towels just for that area. Good luck.

Valued Contributor

I get those same symptoms if I shower and don't rinse IMMEDIATELY in that area. So I'm not surprised you are having irritation from fabric softeners. You will never ever need a fabric softener again if you do a double or even triple rinse in the washer. Just go back and do one more rinse. You will be amazed at the amount of soap that comes out the second time and how soft your clothing is after they come out of the dryer.

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned something because I'm so sensitive. I can't even sit in a hot tub or flail around in the sea. 

Anyone know how to keep towels soft without using fabric softener? 

YEP!! Rinse your laundry a second time after the first cycle is finished -- or even a third time (believe it or not my husband rinses his clothes FIVE times before putting them in the dryer or he gets a rash). If you get all the soap out of your laundry you won't even need a fabric softener.

Valued Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. I went to my primary and I do have a UTI. I am getting a panel of blood work tomorrow. Oh by the way, I know my way around self dosing. Even my primary agreed with what I did Woman Happy

Take a cranberry pill every day when your infection clears. It really helps prevent UTIs.

Regular Contributor

A UTI is a urinary tract INFECTION.Infections are caused by some kind of germ - you could not get a germ from fabric softner. You had an irritation , most likely  an allergic reaction,but not an infection.

Honored Contributor

I cannot use any detergents with bleach in them for washcloths and towels, much less undergarments.  I guess I have never had a problem with fabric softeners.  Tide with bleach did me in when they first brought it out so I knew quickly what the culprit was.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

As someone else said, none of these products are causing an infection.  What is more than likely happening is they are causing an iritation of the urethra which makes you feel like you have an infection.

The majority of UTIs, not all though, are caused by e-coli.