Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had a non-functioning pituitary tumor?

@2blonde...What a wonderful, uplifting post! Ironically, when my symptoms first started, I thought I was having a vitreous detachment and an ophthalmologist was the first doctor I saw.  I’m glad you’re back to 100%.

I have to admit that like you, the thought of giving up my workouts is disheartening. I’ve worked so hard to get where I am now, and I know a month of inactivity will set me back a little bit, but it has to be done.  And if I have to give up my workouts for two months like you did, well, I’ll do that, too, and follow his instructions to the letter.

Honored Contributor

I had a very different surgery a few years ago but had similar restrictions for six weeks..,,hardest part was not being able to hold a brand new grand baby! The shower chair was helpful as was a grabber to pick up things...also wearing shoes that you can slip into without lacing or buckling will help....scuffs or slippers that are not tight and easy to slip on...no boots! I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is smooth!
Honored Contributor

I hope everything goes well for you @Ainhisg and you have a speedy recovery. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg

I agree with others, by wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery!💞💞

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess, great advice! Thank you! I usually wear bootie-type house shoes but did pick up some slippers a few weeks back. So glad I did after reading your post.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and advice. I’ve gotten a few more ideas of things I need to purchase or do.   Early next week, for one whole day, I’m going to set things up and try it all out.  I’m not going to wait until I come home from the hospital and then see that things that I thought would work… Won’t.   That should show any shortcomings and give me time to figure out how to solve any problems I might encounter. 

Valued Contributor

Good luck to you, @Ainhisg! A friend had a non-functioning pituitary tumor but she didn't have surgery on it. It was harmless and benign. She was told no surgery was necessary unless it affected her vision and it never did. I've heard they're common.

Again, good luck with everything! We'll be rooting for you! Heart

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@2blonde...What a wonderful, uplifting post! Ironically, when my symptoms first started, I thought I was having a vitreous detachment and an ophthalmologist was the first doctor I saw.  I’m glad you’re back to 100%.

I have to admit that like you, the thought of giving up my workouts is disheartening. I’ve worked so hard to get where I am now, and I know a month of inactivity will set me back a little bit, but it has to be done.  And if I have to give up my workouts for two months like you did, well, I’ll do that, too, and follow his instructions to the letter.

@Ainhisg  Here's the better news........muscles really do have memory!  Rebuilding them will be a lot easier than it was building them the first time.  I confess that, although I was only allowed to walk for the first few weeks, I managed to develop a really fast pace!  I also was allowed to gradually get back into my workouts.  Even with the lighter weights I was using, it felt good, and I only had to miss a week of work (but driving to and from was a little dicey).

I'm wishing you an easy procedure with a quick recovery!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

There are long handled grippers that help pick things up off the floor and help you reach for things. They are sold at medical supply places, both brick and mortar and online.

Honored Contributor

You might want to pick up a couple of extra pillows to help prop your head up. Penney’s has some great deals on pillows.

@Ainhisg wrote:

I am having surgery next week to have a non-functioning pituitary tumor removed.  If you have ever had one, what was your experience?  What is the recovery like?  I have not found much information online, and my surgeon has just said that I will feel a lot of pressure and congestion.  I will not be able to do any bending, lifting, pulling, or pushing.  My husband will be home to help me the first two weeks, but then he will go back to work.

Does anyone have any advice for me about what to do at home to make following these guidelines easier?  I've already purchased a shower chair and handheld shower, will be putting things I use frequently in the bathroom on top of the counter, putting an ironing board in my bathroom to hold clothing and towels up higher so that I don't have to bend, etc.  Any and all advice or experiences are welcome!