Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with Hyperprolactinemia post Menopause?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with Hyperprolactinemia. I have had my Prolactin level done twice both elevated and now I am going for an MRI of the Brain. Most of the time the cause is a benign tumor on the Pituitary Gland. Has anyone had experience with this disorder?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever been diagnosed with Hyperprolactinemia post Menopause?

I have never even heard of this. I'm sorry you're having problems and hope your choice of treatment is successful.

Contributor

I have this as well I am not in post menopause though. I had an MRI and I did have a benign tumor on the pituitary gland. I was given cabergoline for about a year. I am currently off the cabergoline but my levels are back up, I had an MRI but thank god that showed nothing. So now I have to figure out what is causing my elevated levels. Hope this helps!
Respected Contributor

NYgirl, did you have any side effects from the medication? I am waiting now for the authorization for the Brain MRI. This is a shock I got Mastitis and because of that odd finding they did the Prolactin Level and it was 88. I had it redone and it was 83. I do have a strong family history of Thyroid Disease also. We will see what the MRI shows. Do you see a Endocrinologist?
Contributor

The medication did make me feel a little dizzy but I adjusted my dose with my doctors help. The medication does work well though. I see an endocrinologist since I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. My current prolactin levels are around 100-200. I have heard that thyroid disease and high prolactin levels can be common.
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of it either. I do hope you feel better soon.

New Contributor

I had this about 10 years ago. I remember my levels were in the 130's range. Ultimately, it went away on its own. I had no symptoms from it, so I don't really remember what caused them to check it, but I was otherwise very sick at the time. I do have Hashimotos, which is thyroid disease of the under active autoimmune type. I don't think any doctor has bothered to check it since though. Doesn't seem to be something they usually check unless you are making milk unnecessarily, except of course in certain other situations as yours. Just FYI, I'm not post menopause. I hope this helps and it just goes away on it's own and is nothing to worry about. Good Luck!
Trusted Contributor

I have had galactorrhea for many years. I just never stopped lactating after I breastfed my son. Yes, it could be caused by a pituitary tumor. I have had a celatercica (sp) xray, MRI and yearly prolactin level tests (all within "the normal" range). Now, in my 60s, my breasts are cystic and I don't stimulate them. 40 yrs and I'm OK.

Get all the tests done. Do all the annual tests to keep on top of it and to know your exact state of health. But know that there are many women out there with this who live a long life.

Best of luck to you. I will be praying for you.