Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone done the Atkins diet?

According to Snopes, it is still undetermined the cause of Dr. Atkins death. At the time of death he was considered obese.

Frequent Contributor

Everyone's processing and production rate of cholesterol relies on their liver's health/function. A lot of things can compromise this ability such as alcohol use, drugs, prescriptions, diseases, fats and sugar, etc., so reaction to any diet changes is individual and the best way to find out how it is working for you is with your doctor's advice and blood tests to check on how your body reacts to a certain diet. It's never a "one size fits all." The liver deserves a lot of respect...which it rarely gets, we just load in substances and expect it to all get nicely filtered away. Livers and kidneys can get pretty diseased before we even notice symptoms, unfortunately.

My cholesterol levels returned to normal under the full Atkin's phase for the first 6 months, and then when I substituted the animal saturated fats for oils like olive and nuts (modified the Atkins) my triglycerides dropped quite low and the "good' cholesterol level increased which my doctor was amazed and happy with. It seems to be the oil in the nuts that have that effect in my case. Your mileage may vary...

Honored Contributor

I'd never go on Atkins. I believe there is far too much fat in the Atkins diets--and it's not all good fats. I think there are far better options for people i.e. Mediterranean diet, The Zone, etc.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

So here's an update after two days. I started feeling weak this afternoon, I decided it was from the sudden lack of sugar. So I had a glass of orange juice, and felt much better! I messed up my daily carb count by doing that, but it was still better than eating cookies! I guess this is to be expected, I was eating WAY too many sweets, there's always cake, cookies and chocolate around at work, perfect - but temporary - stress relievers! Then always something sweet after dinner as well! But I may have to go to one of the higher stages of the diet with more carbs initially as my body adjusts to not having so much sugar, and again, concentrate on veggies, veggies, veggies!
Trusted Contributor

On 10/5/2014 winamac1 said:

I'd never go on Atkins. I believe there is far too much fat in the Atkins diets--and it's not all good fats. I think there are far better options for people i.e. Mediterranean diet, The Zone, etc.

This is another misconception and an example of how the "new" Atkins has changed from the old. The "new" Atkins stresses portion control of the approved list of fats, and eating a variety of proteins. I remember the "old" Atkins stressing unlimited amounts of steak, butter, etc. Not so anymore. Your protein sources can come from chicken and fish, and they give you recommendations for serving sizes of the fats. They even tell you how the diet can work if you are a vegetarian. And if course, ultimately it's your choice if you want to eat solely fatty meats or vary your proteins with chicken and fish. Personally, I like a variety of foods anyway, and plan on keeping an eye on the amount of fat I eat everyday.
Frequent Contributor

I always thought I was weak and unmotivated whenever I tried to diet in the past. Turns out I was addicted to sugar and the low fat diets were full of sugar which kept me addicted. So the Atkins diet was perfect for me. Anyone with an addiction is going to feel ill for a while while their body detoxes. Whether it's sugar, alchohol, cigarettes, or drugs. I agree that all bodies are different. If you aren't addicted to sugar you can do "all this in moderration"/ I so admire those that can have one cookie and stop. I'm not one of those people.

I have been on Atkins for 10 years. So yes this can be a lifestyle change. I've lost over 100 pounds.

Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

According to Snopes, it is still undetermined the cause of Dr. Atkins death. At the time of death he was considered obese.

At the time of his accident he was in good health, and not obese. Being unconscious with edema throughout his body, he took on a lot of fluid. Like anyone in that medical situation would. The peta types started these rumors, re-defining edema with "obese." Shame to those who spread untruth. - Bird

Respected Contributor

On 10/6/2014 The Bird said:
On 10/5/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

At the time of his accident he was in good health, and not obese. Being unconscious with edema throughout his body, he took on a lot of fluid. Like anyone in that medical situation would. The peta types started these rumors, re-defining edema with "obese." Shame to those who spread untruth. - Bird

At the time of his death he was suffering from cardiomyopathy and was not in good health. If his diet worked and kept arterial damage from happening, there is not one peer reviewed study from him with evidence of that fact.

It is not just the Peta types as you posted that have differences with his diet. Cardiologists warn patients not to base their diet on high fat meats and cheese. Study after study have been brought to the public with proof of what a high fat diet can do to the arteries. While Dr. Atkin's have no conclusive peer reviewed studies published after all these years.

Respected Contributor

On 10/5/2014 CrowHaven said:

Everyone's processing and production rate of cholesterol relies on their liver's health/function. A lot of things can compromise this ability such as alcohol use, drugs, prescriptions, diseases, fats and sugar, etc., so reaction to any diet changes is individual and the best way to find out how it is working for you is with your doctor's advice and blood tests to check on how your body reacts to a certain diet. It's never a "one size fits all." The liver deserves a lot of respect...which it rarely gets, we just load in substances and expect it to all get nicely filtered away. Livers and kidneys can get pretty diseased before we even notice symptoms, unfortunately.

My cholesterol levels returned to normal under the full Atkin's phase for the first 6 months, and then when I substituted the animal saturated fats for oils like olive and nuts (modified the Atkins) my triglycerides dropped quite low and the "good' cholesterol level increased which my doctor was amazed and happy with. It seems to be the oil in the nuts that have that effect in my case. Your mileage may vary...

Anecdotal evidence is just that... Peer reviewed studies proving that this diet does not raise cholesterol are needed and so far none have been published.

Honored Contributor

FYI, dietary cholesterol has very little to do with lab cholesterol levels. That has been repeatedly proven. Do your reasearch before assuming things.