Super Contributor
There are a couple of barre studios that have opened up near me recently. But they're very pricey, for both class by class fees and monthly memberships. So I think I'm going to buy a barre bar on Amazon and use YouTube videos and a couple of DVDs a friend suggested. I'm really looking forward to it as it's supposed to be great for flexibility, toning, and strength. Has anyone here tried it? What do you think of it?
Esteemed Contributor

Have not done it, but I wish the gym I went to would offer this.  I may have purchased a DVD or something years ago (ashamed I never used it).  I've suggested it several times.  They'd rather flip tires I think.

Anything that offers slower movements that are done upright work for me.  I've tried yoga numerous times and any floor work leaves me queasy.  Like being caresick.  So many of the classes are herky jerky movements and I cannot tolerate all that bouncing around.

Years ago I took adult ballet class and loved it.  Wonder why the classes are so pricey?

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have and I liked it even though it really isn't my usual style.  I was surprised how tough some of the exercises were.  We did sumo-squats on our tippy-toes pulsing for 30 seconds, then she made us go down another inch for another 30 seconds, then down 2 more inches for 30 seconds each still on tippy-toes....I wasn't the only one shaking.

We also did push-ups and planks...good stretch at the end....very good complete body work-out imo.  I would definitely do another one.  It works little muscles you don't usually hit. 

Truth be told, it's more of what I should be doing instead of what I prefer.  My new gym offers the class which is included in your monthly dues and it's much cheaper than going to a Barre Studio...I know they're expesnive.  So you may want to consider something like that. 

Regular Contributor

I've done barre3 before and I love it! It does get a bit pricey though so I will buy a block of classes to save a bit and then stretch the, out as far as I can.

Super Contributor
My barre is coming today. I can't wait to put it together and get started!
Trusted Contributor

I love barre but only do it at home with Youtube videos or DVDs. One of my favorite barre and Pilates instructors is Tracey Mallett.  Her Booty Barre Beginners and Beyond is good for a beginner. 

A really good Youtube instructor is Linda Wooldridge, owner of Barlates. She has so many free workouts up! She gets tough but she's a wonderful instructor.

I was originally in love with Barre3 and bought a year long gift card for a real good deal on Black Friday, but now I just can't bring myself to do the workouts. I just prefer Tracey Mallett and Linda Wooldridge now.

PS - Jessica Smith also has freebies on Youtube.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a studio nearby.  I thought about it...they offer a subscription online and you can workout at home.