Contributor

Has anyone been diagnosed with Diverticulitis?

I have been told I have IBS for many years, but now my symptoms are pointing to Diverticulitis. Anyone have it?

Contributor

Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with Diverticulitis?

My dad does. He has been suffering with it for years. He will be good for a while, and then go though a phase, (couple days to a week), of terrible stomach problems. Like, he won't even leave the house, because of the pain and needing to go to poo.

Esteemed Contributor

I ended up in the hospital twice with bad stomach ache. I stayed 5 days the first time and 6 the second time. To be honest with you, I would prefer labor pains any day. lol.

My GI dr told me if it happens again, he would recommend surgery. He said because of where the problem is located it is a simple one.

Had my colonoscopy a month ago and everything is fine. Hope I dont ever get that kind of pain again.

Honored Contributor

My first colonoscopy 10 years ago showed several pockets in my colon wall, but they were still the same in last years test, and I have not experienced an actual diverticulitis attack. My serious problem foods are lettuce, cabbage, coconut, nuts, and seeds. As long as I stay away from those foods, I am okay.
Esteemed Contributor

3 years ago, I ate a good amount of roasted nuts (from Costco). I was so sick for 2 days and then went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis - from eating the nuts. I never knew I had it - and never knew that I couldn't eat nuts. I have intestinal problems from ovarian cancer --- so every day I get stomach aches and diarhhea.

Honored Contributor

DH ended up in the hospital one night many years ago, after eating blueberries He'd been having some pain prior, but it went away. Those blueberries seemed to really do him in. He had surgery that night. The doctor didn't do anything with his colon, but removed the appendix. DH was given a list of foods to avoid with the "or else" warning. We followed it to the letter - no nuts, seeds, popcorn, etc. If I happened to buy a pasta sauce with tomato seeds in it, I'd pulverize it with the immersion blender before using it. He missed eating some of his favorites, but adjusted. After doing that for a number of years he had to have a physical and certain inoculations before going on a business trip to India. At the appointment, he was discussing his diagnosis with the doctor who said the common understanding and protocol for treating the condition had changed. They were no longer recommending certain food avoidances, but rather encouraging people to eat what they once had to avoid, for roughage. DH resumed eating anything he wanted to and has been fine ever since. He eats blueberries and nuts almost daily now. His colonoscopy in Nov. 2013 showed one small polyp, but that's not uncommon. I had the same result and had never been diagnosed with diverticulitus.

Trusted Contributor

I've had two colon resections because of it.

Stay away from the nuts.

Regular Contributor

I had it for years and the pain was unreal. You need to see a gastro and have a CT with contrast to see what your colon looks like. You do NOT want your colon to perforate which mine did and ended up with 3 surgeries and a permanent ileostomy and in and out of rehab. When was your last colonoscopy?

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Trusted Contributor

'Diverticulosis' means there are little 'pockets' that have formed in the wall of the intestines. If something, (sharp seed bit) gets stuck in the pocket and causes inflammation-it is called 'Diverticulitis'. If the inflamed pocket bursts-the hospital slang is 'ruptured tic'. It is a serious condition.

Respected Contributor

My husband and two friends both had it. They were told to stay away from nuts, seeds,etc. which they did. They all had the flareups and had to take heavy duty antibiotics to clear up the infection. In the end all had an operation. Be careful, sometimes you can get an "attack" and have to be rushed to the emergency room for surgery. Make sure the doctor you go to is good. Diverticulosis can seem like nothing, but as lacey1 stated it is a very serious condition and should not be taken lightly.