Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has an antibiotic failed you?

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

"AZO Urinary Pain Relief® is specially formulated with
Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride, the #1 ingredient prescribed by doctors for urinary discomfort."

-----------------

Just passing on info that I was told by doc...that AZO can raise blood pressure.  So I do not take it anymore.  Other thing is...AZO will help with pain, but not kill the germ.  Really only an antibiotic will do that!!!  Was told that taking AZO before culture test could give a wrong reading!

@corita, the AZO package states that it does not interfer with a test but I know for a fact it interfers with the dip test done in an office.  My doctor told me that.  The reason it interfers is because the color it changes your urine is close to the color the urine turns in a dip test if you have an infection.  I'm not sure if it interfers with the testing when the specimen is sent out for full analysis.

--------------------

Am sure that is what my doc was referring to. Usually went to an urgent care for meds and that is where they would do the initial test. I used to use AZO all the time, but no more. 

Have also noticed that since I stopped working, I have had fewer UTI's.  Really think it is because I could not run to the bathroom when needed while teaching or presenting my programs!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Luvtuna wrote:

I was given Cipro for a UTI and had a bad reaction months later (which the black box warning indicated could happen). It affected the tendons in my ankle and was painful. There was a post a while back with nightmare stories from people who had bad reactions to it. You are lucky that you can tolerate it because it is very effective for UTIs.

I was given Cipro for a sinus infection back in '96.  After taking it for three days I went back to the Dr. to ask if it was normal after 45 minutes of taking a dose to be on my hands and knees panting like a dog to try to breathe.  He said no that is an allergic reaction.  I still cannot believe I took it for three full days @Luvtuna 

------------  

I am also allergic to Cipro...along with several other antibiotics.  Had a rash all over my chest!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have an issue with UTIs and my urologist recommended I try Ellura.  It is not cheap!  But so far, doing the trick.  

• "Medical-grade supplement: PAC is extracted from the pure juice concentrate of cranberries. Not in the leftover skins, seeds and stems or the whole berry like other supplements.
  •  
  • ellura starts working within hours of taking just one capsule - and keeps working to shield you from recurrent Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)"

I had tried drinking cranberry juice and the other OTC cranberry supplements with zero success.  

Trusted Contributor

I know what agrees with me and what doesn't. I always ask for amoxicillin or augmentin. If I am really sick I take levaquine. My nurse practitioner won't give z paks anymore. Those were the best. 5 days and done unless you need another one. If I have a UTI I take Cipro. That's it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wsmom wrote:

I have an issue with UTIs and my urologist recommended I try Ellura.  It is not cheap!  But so far, doing the trick.  

• "Medical-grade supplement: PAC is extracted from the pure juice concentrate of cranberries. Not in the leftover skins, seeds and stems or the whole berry like other supplements.
  •  
  • ellura starts working within hours of taking just one capsule - and keeps working to shield you from recurrent Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)"

I had tried drinking cranberry juice and the other OTC cranberry supplements with zero success.  

@Wsmom, holy cow.   You aren't kidding that it's not cheap!

I don't know if there is a difference in the supplements or just coincidence but I was taking Andrew Lessman's cranberry supplements and that along with drinking 100oz of water a day seemed to be doing the trick.  I decided I could get cranberry supplements cheaper and started to just buy various brands from the grocery store and ever since then, I've started to have issues again.  I'm going back to AL's and I'll see what happens.  

These are so miserable though, that Ellura would be worth it.  Plus all the money saved on co-pays and antibiotics. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

•  

@Wsmom, holy cow.   You aren't kidding that it's not cheap!

I don't know if there is a difference in the supplements or just coincidence but I was taking Andrew Lessman's cranberry supplements and that along with drinking 100oz of water a day seemed to be doing the trick.  I decided I could get cranberry supplements cheaper and started to just buy various brands from the grocery store and ever since then, I've started to have issues again.  I'm going back to AL's and I'll see what happens.  

These are so miserable though, that Ellura would be worth it.  Plus all the money saved on co-pays and antibiotics. 

Good to know about Lessman's.  If I feel brave I may give them a try.  I hate to ruin a good thing, you know?  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  any idea why she wants you on the capsules and not drinking the cranberry juice? I don't know how much juice it takes, but I was going to get some and drink it just at breakfast.

Valued Contributor

I used to be a frequent flyer when it came to UTI's and bladder infections. I was always given Macrobid, and felt relief almost instantly. 

I'm really not sure what changed in the past 5 years or so, but I no longer get them frequently. In fact I was trying to recall the last one I had and could not. 

I will always remember the name Macrobid though, because the relief it brought was swift and by the time I got into the doctor and got the prescription I was in some serious misery. 

Good luck and hope you continue feeling better!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon