Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had Cortisone or Hyluronic Acid Injections for Knees

I've received Cortisone in the knees (both, for pain from tears, bursa sack, which took a year to repair and ligaments). The shot (for me) wasn't too painful, but lasted longer than most shots. I only had one reaction once, felt like I was going to pass out. The nurse saw my expression and l went to a room to lay down for a while.

It immediately eased the pain tho....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

To answer the arthritis-age question, my right knee started bothering me about five years ago, when I was in my early 60s. I've done high impact sports all my life, so I wasn't surprised when the knee started acting up. I'm still active, doing aerobics and dancing. I wear a knee brace for most of my workouts and that helps.
Respected Contributor

I saw the ortho surgeon Monday. Got new x-rays that showed significant loss of the joint space which I was told about when I had the arthroscopy last June. I got a cortisone injection which hurt when the needle went in. So far I am enjoying no pain. However, he uses Monovisc which is a one shot deal. It needs to be approved by my BC/BSPPO. I may not need it but, if I do, the authorization will be good for 30 days. Fingers crossed!
Super Contributor

I am almost 58. I had my right knee replaced in 2009. I had several injections as a lat ditch effort to avoid the TKR. I had my left one replaced in 2011. The cortisone injections were more effective in my left knee. It does depend on how much space there is between the 3 different parts of the joint. If you have friction between two bones not much will help. The area will be numbed with a topical. The first one was probably the worst because I didn't know what to expect. It was not terribly painful but uncomfortable...none the less gross to think about! After that I was fine with them. I think I had them monthly...can't really remember. They got me through 3 weeks in Europe including a lot of walking! When it is time for something more, your body will let you know. When the pain changed the way I lived my life I decided to have the knee replacements. I hope the injections bring you some comfort. I feel your pain! Good luck!